“Bad hotel service”

The Carleton of Oak Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oak Park
Reviewed November 11, 2006

I stayed here in Nov 06 in the hotel.

Upon arrival in O'Hare airport, we had to order a taxi and made the unfortunate mistake of ordering from a private taxi firm. I would recommend you call American Taxi company who'll charge you a flat rate fee of $28 dollers as opposed to our taxi company.

The hotel is situated in an area which appears to be developing, and as a result, it's very quiet and can appear to be quite unnerving. However, after walking around parts of Chicago (outside of downtown), you soon discover that Oak Park is probably considered as a safer neighbourhood.

The staff at the Reception were cold and blunt, and given that people in Chicago are generally very friendly, this really stood out.

Polyester pillows were requested upon booking and were not adhered to. We were not told by staff at Reception or Housekeeping that we had goose filled pillows. We went to reception to enquire about them and was told we must be mistaken because all the pillows are synthetic, although the tag stated Goose Filled Feathers.

We also asked for a map of the local area and the gentleman handed us a piece of paper without the hotel marked. I had to ask him where the hotel was on the map! Most hotels I've stayed in describe the local area and explain where you can catch the local transport to get into town if the hotel is not located in the heart of the city and provide a map.

We tried appetisers in Poor Phil's were service and food was very reasonable.

The room is of a very good size, and the kitchenette is certainly a bonus.

Given the nightly prices of hotels in downtown chicago, this is a good alternative for those who do not want to pay ridiculous amounts of money or stay in lower classed hotels.

The El (metro/tube) is less than 5 mins walk away and is the last stop on the Green line (Harlem/Lake). There is also Oak Park train station which is on the Metra which goes to Union station in downtown chicago, however, i bought a 7 day pass for the CTA which allows unlimited travel on the El and busses.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Londoner_8

Reviewed July 21, 2006

I stayed in this hotel for 9 days. It is a very nice hotel. The rooms are spacious and very nicely appointed. It had a refrigerator, coffee pot, microwave, ironing board, and even had dishes. I felt like I was in a Victorian Bed and Breakfast Inn.

I didn't experience all that much of the hotel, as I was in town most of the time, but it was an excellent place to base from. The area is nice and seems to be a safe place to stay.

The best part of the hotel it that it is a block to the Green Line and the "El". This made it very easy to get in and out of downtown (25 minute ride). The only thing to be aware of is that the Green Line stops going out of downtown at 1:05 am. There is also an all-night bus route (N20) that drops off at the same train station in Oak Park. I did this one night, but I don't recommend it. The bus goes through some not great parts of town and some of the folks on the bus did not make me comfortable. The Green Line, itself, was fine and was also nice and cool (during the really hot week I was there!).

I didn't eat at the restaurants, but they both looked good. Poor Phil's was often open late for late-night snacks. Philander's looked very classy and nice.

The staff was friendly and helpful and even called a cab for me to get to Ohare. It arrived in only a couple of minutes. The cab charges a flat fee of $25 to Ohare. I also took a cab from Ohare to get here. It cost about the same.

Anyway, I would definitely consider staying there again. It was a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ORKEMI
Reviewed July 18, 2006

We stayed in two rooms in the Motor Inn section of the Carleton Hotel in Oak Park in late June, 2006. The rooms were of average size, and were very clean and everything was in good repair. The decor could certainly use some updating, but for $90 per night in beautiful Oak Park, it was OK. The rooms each had a small kitchen area with a sink and refrigerator, and one room had a microwave. There were dishes and silverware stocked in the kitchens. The bathrooms are very small, but there is an extended dressing room area that you can close off to make it seem less claustrophobic. The bathroom fixtures and tile seemed new and were very clean, but there is no counter space around the sink.

It is a 1-block walk to the Green Line el and about 25 minutes into downtown Chicago, so it worked pretty well for sightseeing. Not only is the room rate cheaper, parking is free for guests, so we saved the $20+ daily parking charge we would have paid at a downtown hotel.

The hotel desk staff was not all that pleasant, but the person who answers their e-mail is friendly and helpful. Overall, we were not disappointed with our experience at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank abcdxyz
Reviewed April 12, 2006

This hotel was absolutely perfect. We were unable to stay downtown as we had originally wanted due to the fact that our travel arrangements were made at the last minute. We were willing to pay upwards of $300 a night, but it seemed as though everything in town was sold out. Luckily, we were able to find a spot at the Carleton, which is conveniently located approximately 10 miles from Midway Airport and 10 miles from Downtown Chicago. At first we were worried the hotel was too far from the hustle and bustle of Chicago, which was something we really wanted to experience. But in the end, we were completely wrong. This hotel is perfectly located.

One of the biggest perks is the Carleton's proximity to the "El", the Chicago area subway, which is only about a block away. We took the "El" downtown and to a Cubs game and it made for a cheap and convenient way to travel. In the end, we regretted renting a car. We could have saved time and money by simply using the El. It is a safe way to travel.

Carleton also has a wonderful bar, Poor Phils. The place appeared to be a local hangout and was perfect for nights when we didn't want to travel to downtown to be social. The best part about Phils was the food. They have specials everyday between 2:30-6:00 pm--50 cent jumbo shrimp and oysters! The food was fantastic, and the selection of beer was huge!

This hotel is also gorgeous on the inside. During our four night stay we saw two weddings, and for good reason--the hotel really looks like a 4-5 star hotel on the inside. There are beautifully furnished sitting areas located on the ground floor and a fine dining restaurant inside.

The staff was very accomodating. It seems they have thought of everything. They even had free internet access and computers both at the front desk and at the hotel bar (Poor Phils) that were free of charge for hotel guests and restaurant patrons. I never once had to wait to use one of the computers, and I was able to get directions to just about anywhere thanks to this smart ammenity.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely go back to the Carleton!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank vegas*baby_777
Reviewed February 28, 2006

I have stayed at the Carleton on my two most recent trips to Chicago, in 1995 and 2005. It's easy to get downtown on the "L" or the Metra commuter train; either station is just a block from the Carleton. What you save on the hotel more than pays for the train to downtown plus a rental car to drive all around the area.

I have stayed in the newer "motor inn" as well as in the 1920s-era main hotel building. For the price difference I prefer the less expensive motor inn; the main hotel is nice but not worth 25% more for the room.

I only ate one meal at the Carleton during my five day stay in 2005, as there are so many good dining choices within walking distance. Their restaurant was good as well as convenient, but I had to go have an Italian beef sandwich, Parky's french fries, Petersen's ice cream, etc..

The room in the old building was nice, but the air conditioner was hard pressed to keep up with the 95-degree heat wave temperatures outside during the day.

The staff was helpful, the parking was free, and Oak Park is a great place. Having stayed in Elmhurst, Westmont, and other suburban locations (each with its own good points), on my next visit I plan to return to OP, and probably the Carleton, once again.

4  Thank dubuquer
Reviewed December 6, 2005

I stayed at this hotel in early October - several friends and I had traveled to Chicago to run the marathon this year. The hotel was very nice, as were the hotel staff. They were able to provide suggestions for where to go for dinner, as well as a super early breakfast the day of the race. The servers in the bar were wonderful, and kept refilling my water bottle without a single question. As for the rooms, they are very nice and spacious, not at all the cramped style of other area hotels.

Oak Park is a neat community with lots of fun walking tours close by. I would certainly recommend this hotel to people looking to see a different and quieter side of Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank EliLena
Reviewed October 24, 2005

My wife and I spent a week at the Carleton (visiting from the UK to watch our daughter run the Chicago Marathon - what an event! see photo) and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel staff were efficient and helpful.
We stayed in the Motor Inn adjacent to the hotel. It was very good value for $99 a night - the room was large, comfortable, clean and well maintained. There was a kitchenette with sink, fridge, microwave and basic crockery & utensils. The pathway and gardens leading to our room were very attractive and also well maintained - see photo.
It was just a step to enjoy a drink and ‘fishy’ meal at Poor Phil’s or a cocktail and more sophisticated meal at Philanders.
Oak Park is such a pleasant place to walk around, with lots of interesting things to see, and the train taking you into the heart of Downtown Chicago is so convenient. We visited the Oak Park Farmers’ Market on the Saturday and were also lucky enough to see the Homecoming Parade of the local High School - see photos.
We would not hesitate to stay at the Carleton Motor Inn again.

• Stayed: October 2005
West Town
The Robey Hall
The Robey Hall
#109 of 192 in Chicago

Been to The Carleton of Oak Park? Share your experiences!