“Lovely Boutique Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oak Park
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Lovely Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here about 12 years ago and remember they were renovating portions then. It’s beautiful even 12 years later. The lobby is nice and my room was spacious and clean. The tile floor in the bath could use a little bit of attention but it was not disgusting; it just needed a little elbow grease. My room had three portions to it: the sleeping area with a lovely desk, table and two chairs, a COMFORTABLE overstuffed chair, TV armoire, and a bed; the bath had two sinks and a wonderful shower with one wall being glass bricks; and a little room with a microwave, sizeable refrigerator, and cabinets stocked with real dishes and cutlery. It was all I needed to feel absolutely comfortable during my two-night stay. The only caution, if you are in room 202, is that the staff uses the fire escape for quick access to the dumpsters! Yikes! Glad I’m modest and had the curtains pulled as the fire escape leads right past the windows! I would suggest they take the long route!

Room Tip: Go for a room not on the street and high enough that the sound of the dumpsters and the staff on the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel's best feature is its location right in Oak Park. It is in a very old building, so the elevator is so tiny we couldn't fit in there with our luggage. It is not easy to get around for a handicapped person, there are stairs all over the place. The beds were very bouncy but pretty comfortable. The comforters were oddly cheap. As in Motel 6 crappy cheap. The room was nice, and clean, and the bathroom was modern, which made the crappy comforters stand out even more. If they changed the comforters from the 100% polyester-throw-it-on-the-floor-quick type to a duvet type, they could charge more per night.
The restaurant is OK, it gets VERY loud in there, which was hard for the older people we were with. The food was good. The server was incredibly enthusiastic, almost to a fault. We just wanted to eat and enjoy our meal in peace, which was impossible.
The WiFi was spotty and the front desk woman gave me the wrong password, and then got pissed when I had to call back. We opted to print our boarding passes at the two computers they have downstairs, and had some trouble, though it was sorted out in the end. Same woman had attitude about the computers (like I don't know how to use a computer) so maybe that's just her way, though she might consider how she comes across to guests. The parking is in several separate lots around the hotel, which was fine.

Again, the best reason to stay at this hotel is the location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MrsMas820
Sun Lakes, Arizona, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We spent one night in the motel; loved the layout and it was very clean and comfortable. The furnishings are designed to make you feel like you're staying in a motel - they aren't really outdated. Two drawbacks for me - the walls are thin. I could hear the woman in the next room coughing during the night. Luckily, I always take earplugs when traveling, so I solved that issue. My pillow was lumpy and far too soft - there were others in the closet that I found the following day. Check in was quick and easy, parking was closeby (without an additional cost to us). The Barclay restaurant was hopping with outdoor diners on the night of our arrival (it was late evening). We popped into the little corner bar (Poor Phil's) for a night cap. The following morning we had breakfast at Poor Phil's. Loved that they had a couple of small portion plates, which we very good. The location of the Carleton is great; close enough to walk around the town.

Room Tip: The motel rooms are less expensive (not cheap) than the hotel. It's quiet on a beautiful tree-l...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Staff was very friendly and the neighborhood is nice. Near shops and the L. We were in the motel part. It was large and clean and we liked having the mini kitchen (micro, fridge, sink, plates, cutlery) and the little table. It was really ugly... not the lobby which was very pretty, just our room. I don't know how much this matters to most people but it was kind of a bummer for the money we paid. Nothing was dirty or old just ugly and it kind of made our romantic night... less romantic. But that was the only flaw. :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alice C
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We recently stayed in the motel portion of the Carleton of Oak Park. It was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The furnishings and decor are outdated and the walls are very thin. We could hold a conversation through the wall with my sister who was staying in the room next door. The prices were much less than the main hotel and we were looking to save some money. That being said, the rooms were about $30 overpriced. It was located right in the heart of Oak Park and easy to walk to restaurants, bars, shops, and the "L" to get into downtown Chicago.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed July 11, 2013

While looking for a Chicago hotel that was in a quiet, traffic-free area yet convenient to travel into the city, I found The Carleton of Oak Park. And what a find it was! Beautiful neighborhood, and a 3-minute walk to the "L" station for quick and simple jaunts into town, or anywhere else the CTA goes.
The hotel staff is wonderfully accommodating and helpful and the two adjacent restaurants feature great food at reasonable (for Chicago) prices.
Its on my list of highly recommended locations in this often hectic and noisy city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastern Oregon
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Over a two-week period I stayed at the Carleton twice, once for two nights and a week later for five nights. It occupies a convenient location in a great community. When I go to Chicago my first choice of a hotel is the Carleton in Oak Park.

The rooms were comfortable, everything worked properly, housekeeping did a great job, and I enjoyed my stay.

The Carleton has two restaurants, Poor Phil's and Barclay's. I ate at Barclay's a few times but thought it was overpriced compared with the many competing eateries within a few blocks of it.

I had a great time in Oak Park, and the Carleton contributed to the experience. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Park
Downtown / The Loop
The Palmer House Hilton
The Palmer House Hilton
#97 of 189 in Chicago

Been to The Carleton of Oak Park? Share your experiences!