“Very nice”

The Carleton of Oak Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oak Park
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Carlton for new years eve. Was pleasantly surprised at how nice the hotel is. The older lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful. We stayed in a king size bed room, the room was very big that included a flat screen tv and an actual kitchen with a counter, sink, microwave, fridge and dishes and silverware. We paid 135 for the room which I thought was pretty pricey, but I don't know the rates of other hotels nearby. Would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Lovely hotel in downtown Oak Park. Refurbished rooms are spacious, restaurant had excellent food. Most importantly, the customer service was excellent--very helpful and personal. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was large, but no view--2nd floor; not sure of location
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our experience with front desk was not the best. Asked directions to room and was pointed in wrong direction. After wandering around went back down stairs and was told "I told you to go up there." Not. Our room was cold, I asked for another blanket. "Don't know if we have any." About 15 min. later a blanket was delivered and we were told the heat will be on in a little while. Other than that the stay was okay. We have to go back the end of month and we'll see.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very clean, friendly staff and restaurant/bar attached. Located in a very nice mature neighborhood where we took walks and saw architect Frank Lloyd Wright's home and the birthplace of writer Ernest Hemingway. The train is within walking distance to take to downtown Chicago - very convenient.

Room Tip: Stayed inside the hotel rather than in rooms available outside (motel style)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times now. It has an old worlde charm, is comfortable, with up to date facilities and very comfortable beds - most important for my back!

It is very conveniently situated for the commuter trains to Chicago and has plenty of local shops and amenities nearby.

It is also within walking distance of the Frank Lloyd Wright area and the writer, Ernest Hemingway's home - both very enjoyable places to visit.

Whilst writing the authentic Art Deco cinema was also worth a visit and tickets are very reasonable.

I shall definitely stay at this delightful hotel again when I next visit.

Room Tip: The beds are comfortable so you will get a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JeannieB62
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Carleton was a pleasant surprise as it is not a cookie-cutter hotel. It is an older hotel that was built about in the 20's but very well maintained with comfortable bedding and amenities. The location is fabulous, a couple of blocks from the convenient commuter trains to Chicago and the center of Oak Park shopping and restaurants; parking is free, which makes this hotel a great value. The restaurants in the hotel are far better than usual hotel fare. Public rooms are pleasant. Staff are also helpful and pleasant. Only negative was that we were there 2 nights and housekeeping never touched our room on the second day. I am thinking it must have been an oversight.

Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank CarolinaBecky
Reviewed October 27, 2012

In Sept my brother had his wedding at The Carleton. The service was great. Jay, one of the staff, was looking out for our party when he saw a drunk couple not with our group and escorted him out. This type of dedication was greatly . I look forward to my next trip to this location. I am a tough critic - thy won me over.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Downtown / The Loop
Hilton Chicago
Hilton Chicago
#105 of 192 in Chicago

Been to The Carleton of Oak Park? Share your experiences!