“good local restaurant”
Review of Avenue Ale House

Avenue Ale House
Reserve with OpenTable
Avenue Ale House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 132 Restaurants in Oak Park
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Chicago, Illinois
“good local restaurant”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

the food is good and is geared to a wide range of ages and tastes.

Visited May 2012

Oak Park, Illinois
“Avenue Ale House Needs An Updated Beer List and New Chef or Menu”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My husband was excited when I suggested we go to the Avenue Ale House because they supposedly have a wide variety of beers, however probably half the beers he ordered off their menu they said were not in stock.

Previously, we ordered blackened catfish (too salty) and grilled trout (the side of brocollini was tough) the first time we went and they were just good enough to get us to come back. The saving grace was probably the calamari and my husband's hope of trying some new beers. I had also ordered a long island iced tea and it was so bad I couldn't even finish it.

More recently, I ordered the baked onion soup which was the worst onion soup I've ever had. The broth somehow had a terrible rough texture and the cheese on top was provolone (which is just bizarre). For our mains we ordered fish-n-chips and steak tortelloni. We've since agreed that the chef's backbone is mainly butter (which isn't a substitute for good cooking). Since the desserts were inexpensive we wanted to try the bread pudding and milkshake and cookies. I really enjoyed the bread pudding, but the milkshake with the cookies was basically just milk. We ended up sending it back.

We will probably try someplace new since once again my husband's hope of tasting some new beers was smashed by the waitress telling us they were out of stock on half of what he tried to order. Disappointing to say the least...

• Visited May 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good fun atmosphere! Waffle fries, yum!”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Avenue Ale House has also been a good standby for us in the OP. All the food is not "knock your socks off wonderful", it is still very good. It's a great place to go if you are with a group and everyone wants something different. From burgers, to wraps, to entrees, and lots of beer choices, it has something for everyone. Sometimes the service is a little slow, but if you are not in a hurry, big deal. If you want to watch a sporting event, this is the place to go. Lots of large TV's, and very large projector screen in the back make viewing simple. I have had many good dishes here (including the Western Burger = thick, juicy, and tasty every time). The waffle fries are by far my favorite of anywhere. They almost taste like funnel cake! A great place for a simple meal.

• Visited June 2012
Naperville, Illinois
“Cozy Atmosphere and Great Service”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We purchased a Groupon for this restaurant because we heard they had a great beer selection. The tap selection was OK and they have an extensive selection of bottled beers including many Belgian styles.

Atmosphere was warm and inviting. Ordered a shrimp cocktail appetizer and two entree specials, pesto shrimp and chicken fajitas. Be sure to ask the price on specials as they are not listed in the menu. Appetizer was priced a bit high. Entree prices may seem high but the portions were very large.

Our server was very prompt and courteous. Our entrees arrived before we were done with the appetizer but it wasn't a huge deal. The server apologized a number of times and then offered us a free dessert at the end. Very nice customer service touch.

The neighborhood seems a little questionable after dark. Valet parking is available if you cannot find a parking spot nearby.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank loimln
Woodbine, Maryland
“Perfect place to enjoy a nice summer night”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This restaurant has so much to like. Good atmosphere, good food, and a variety of entertainment. There are bars upstairs and down. Upstairs is a roof top deck with open-air dining. There are two drink menus. There are so many beer options, it would take a lifetime to sample all of them! There is a wide choice of pub foods, Mexican, Asian, fresh fish, salads, and appetizers. Portions are huge. I suggest that you ask about portion size before ordering. My daughter and I shared the fresh fish special which was a white fish with rice and carrots. We both received large plates with regular-sized portions of the side dishes and one large piece of fish. The fish was delicious. My husband ordered a turkey sandwich and got a huge serving of turkey, avocado, lettuce, and tomato. It was served with a heaping order of sweet potato fries. All three of us shared the fries and we still had some to take home. My husband took half of the sandwich home. Service was excellent. We had a very pleasant waitress. The manager was also very visible and made two stops at our table.
Next time we are in Oak Park, we will definitely return to the Ale House.

• Visited October 2011

Been to Avenue Ale House? Share your experiences!