“still waiting”
Review of Write Inn

Write Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oak Park
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have contacted the hotel 3 times for a discount/refund we were promised; no response. Be aware the free parking is several blocks away in a ramp, which we found rather inconvenient. I have to agree with the other review, the decor wasn't the greatest. We also were not told there was construction going on when we booked our room. Noisy. However, the location was great and walking the neighbor hood was fun. We had a drink in the bar and the bartender was charming.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mojo94

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Spent two night here in September 2012 for a short trip to Chicago. Found the Write Inn while researching affordable lodging. I had known of the Frank Lloyd Wright and Earnest Hemingway connections to Oak Park, so this sounded interesting. The hotel is of moderate size on the edge of the downtown Oak Park area and the beginning of a residential neighborhood. Very quiet. Chose the least expensive room, which was very basic and small, but perfectly comfortable. Loved the historic elevator! Front desk staff always very pleasant and helpful. I will stay there again.

Oak Park, by the way, is very convienent for a Chicago trip. It is on an EL line and there is frequent commuter train service, as well. Lots of nice restaurants and coffee shops.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrew E
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Both my husband and I got stuck in the elevator for 10 min each before we even got to our room. We booked the King suite. It was decorated in vintage garage sale decor. There is a huge difference between old and charming, and just old. We were unable to adjust the temp of the room so we roasted through the night. Parking was 2 blocks away, and you will be charged daily. For $200 a night, I would like free parking. I was so disappointed in this establishment. It is so quaint looking, and is a block from my daughter. I was hoping to stay here often. On a positive note the location is excellent. Restaurants, shopping, and the train are all walking distance. With some major renovation, this would be a wonderful little hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sungirl66
Reviewed February 5, 2013

All was very good at this hotel!!! great service, wifi, great rooms, many restaurants and shops near from here!, I recomend 100% this nice hotel!. Perfect to go alone, with friends or business. Nice restaurant/bar just in side down the stairs. Taxi service blue cabine great!, near for the bus and train.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LGolcher
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our stay couldn't have been any better. The staff was accommodating from the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out 3 days later. The hotel was quiet and within a short walking distance from great restaurants, shopping and historic Frank Lloyd Wright sites that were the highlight of our trip. We booked our stay before heading back home. We couldn't have had a better time away and look forward to our return trip to Oak Park next year.

Room Tip: Tell the staff you needs - they are most accommodating.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barb K
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was my third time staying at the Write Inn. Born and raised in Oak Park, I really like the location in the middle of the village. It is a 2 block walk to the Green line el and a range of restaurants within the 2 blocks. I have always found the hotel's name curious and imagine that the hotel may have started life as the Wright Inn until the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust said that there would be no use of The Wright name on a non-Wright Building (a Wrong building?). If so, it seems like it might have been better to have run with a completely different identity. Speaking of Write, this hotel is the closest of any to The FLW home and Studio and Unity temple. There is no pool, no fitness center and there are some areas that are in real need of repairs or remodeling. Still, as a very reasonably priced place, exactly where i want to be, I will be back. The rooms are clean and nothing in mine was broken or leaky. The bed was a little tight for my 6'-3" but firm and flat. The overnight parking is a 2-block walk away but it is free for guests, a pleasant walk, and most larger hotels take as long or longer time from leaving the room to getting behind the wheel. Living healthy in Seattle now, I embarrassedly spend my time in Chicago eating italian Beef, pizza and hotdogs so I cannot comment on the little bistro restaurant other than to say it looks pleasant and smells wonderful. Actually not embarrassed, but I will make a point of a meal at Hemmingway's Bistro next time i am staying there.

Room Tip: If you are over 6' tall and can upgrade from the smallest room with the double bed, DO IT!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

They billed me twice for the room. There was a mix up with southwest.com when I purchased a package deal for hotel and airfare. Instead of dealing with Southwest, whom they partnered with for the deal, they billed me a second time without telling me. This wasn't an honest mistake as I had a long discussion with the hotel and southwest airlines. I was told the manager would call be back to discuss things and I haven't heard from him. I tried to call, but was told the manager and owner were not available. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, DONT Ruin your trip by staying there. Oak Park and Chicago were awesome though.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West
Hotel Chicago West Loop / Illinois Medical District
Regal Inn Chicago-O'hare Airport Franklin Park
The Drake Hotel - Oak Brook

Been to Write Inn? Share your experiences!