“The Best Steak EVER!!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2012

The food here is amazing!! The service is perfect!! The decor is a little dated but, the food is Amazing!! My wife and I Love this Place!! You can not go wrong here!!

2  Thank ialwaysloveflorida

Reviewed October 30, 2011

This was a bad experience from the start. We had a reservation on a Saturday night, we were on time and told there’d be a 20 minute wait, asked the hostess why, she said she wondered why herself reservation didn’t matter, it is first come first served. Tables were too close together. They gave us a table for 6 and left the 2 extra place settings because it was too tight for the busboy to clear the table.

Our waitress was ill informed. Asked about size of steaks and didn’t know. Ordered a bottle of red wine she came back saying the whites are all room temperature per the bartender, showed her the bin # that it was a red.

All 4 of our steaks show up, said the baked potatoes would be a minute, 5 minutes later she said they were still not ready. The steaks were getting cold asked for a manager, he said they had more people then expected and the potatoes weren’t done. Asked why didn’t they delay our steaks until the potatoes were ready, or tell us of the delay of the potatoes.

The steaks were good I guess for cold meat. I can get better service and quality food form many steak houses. I wondered why I drove over 30 miles to dine here, but our friends lived in the area. I dined here 10 years ago; it used to be much better. Not a place I will return to.

5  Thank Dale J
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We used to eat here in the mid 1970's, but quit going as the family got older and less of them came in from out of town. Took mother here for Mothers Day. The place was packed. Dimly lit, dark brown paneling and dark carpet. There is a bar and a open room across from the bar that was very dark inside.

I ordered the Surf & Turf and mother had the small Filet Mignot. Market Price was listed for mine on the menu. The mashed potato's were $3,95 extra. My meal was $67.00 (no vegatables offered) but came with a very large filet and two lobster tails, which I didn't know I was getting. I figured it was one. Both meals were cooked to perfection. You have a choice of soup or salad. After the drinks were ordered the Bread was delivered as well as cole slaw and a cold bean tray. Water glasses were brought out about 15 minutes after we sat down. Desert was offered at extra cost. Our bill for 2 people with one drink each was $114.00 + Tip.

The waitress came around quite a bit asking how things were, do we want anything etc....

Parking is at a premium for self parkers along side the building. Valet parks the cars in the larger parking lot behind the building. JGG will be 90 years old in 2012.

2  Thank ParkAvenueMOOSE
Reviewed March 31, 2011

My wife and I are huge fans of dinning out downtown, we try to go out about once every week and hit the restaurants in the city (we live in the southwest suburbs) and a drive downtown can take about thirty five to forty five minutes each way depending on traffic, I mentioned to a friend that it would be nice to find a place to go for a good steak (my favorite) and lobster (my wife's favorite) close to home, he mentioned if I had heard of Jack Gibbons I said I did not recall hearing of it, so I went to your web site to check it out first and it got pretty good reviews, I did note from a review that they did not take credit cards so I stopped at the bank on the way and made sure to bring plenty of cash.

We arrived on a Friday the place was pretty packed so we sat at the bar for a drink and were sat in about twenty minutes, the waitress was very friendly she took our order and I was blown away! we could not believe how good it was, we dine downtown and it rivals any place we had been including Morton's and Gibson's we loved it, I had the Chicago strip steak it was excellent, and of course my wife had lobster tail, after dinner I noticed a person seated next to us was using a credit card to pay, I asked if this was something new and she told us we have been taking credit cards for over twenty years now (so much for the reviews credibility) we now have a place close to home to go that we will look forward to visiting again.

1  Thank ChicagoMan78
Reviewed January 22, 2011

First let me correct the "No Credit Cards". We eat here at least once a month and always use a credit card. The steaks are the best in the area. They recently added soup to their menu since this was the only thing I found lacking. Their hash brown potatoes are excellent as well as the pretzel bread that is served. This is a high end restaurant with high end prices.

2  Thank Richdeni