“Not as nice as we expected”

The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Oak Brook
GreenLeadersGold level
Illinois
“Not as nice as we expected”
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We stayed here for a meeting. First, I'd like to say the staff is really nice and seem to want to go out of their way to help.

Our problems with the hotel begins with the room. Although nice, it was dusty and not in as great of shape as we expected for such a swanky hotel. The hot water took 20 mintues to heat up becauuse we were placed in a room that was the last room in the hotel. We smoke so I guess that's why the room was so far away from everyone else. That could also explain the hot water taking so long to get to our room.

We also had trouble with the hotel services guide on the tv for looking up our folio and such. They sent a tech that night and it must have been a hotel wide down time for the folio view. That's Ok, not a big deal.

What was a HUGE deal was when we left our room to attend a meeting the next morning, someone came into our room even though we had the "privacy" tag on the door! We later found it was another tech checking the tv, they left a note. To top this off, someone else came in our room and took our breakfast tray away before we even finished our coffee and danishes. Why someone thought it was OK to come into our room with the privacy tag on is beyond us. Thank goodness we placed our valuables in the room safe!

We were told the room service would be credited to our account which was nice. BUT that still doesn't excuse people coming into our room when we clearly had the "privacy" tag on the door. We were told no one, not even the tech was supposed to come into our room. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, if you stay here please make sure you place any valuables into your room safe even if you place your privacy tag on the door. Nothing was taken from us but it is still creepy to know strangers came into our room. That is unacceptable in such a hotel that charges you quite a bit for a room. Did I mention the internet was not free? You can get free internet in much lower classed hotels so this surprised us as well.

Will we stay here again? No.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank sdchampion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Illinois
Reviewed May 10, 2009

I had a birthday party there last week and it was very comfortable. The only problems I had was that the television in my room was somewhat broken because it had a strong yellow tint and it wasn't pretty. But my mom was in the next room and her tv was fine. Another problem I had was that the pool was very difficult to find but the art on display was pretty. When we found the pool it was very big and it wasn't like a normal hotel pool, it was decorative and the hot tub was huge. The floor by the pool was very slippery though. The rooms were very comfortable and the showers in the bathroom were huge. There were no mini fridges or a microwave but were didn't really need them. I had a wonderful stay and I would love to go back

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
New England
Reviewed March 6, 2009

This hotel is located within McDonald's Corporate Office Campus- A beautiful, serene setting with walking paths, a pond, manicured lawns, a nice pool and work out area. The sleeping room and bathroom are spacious and clean. Beds are comfortable. T-Mobile WiFi. Some hotel rooms may be a little bit of a walk from the front desk. Valet parking and free self parking is available. The hotel can sell out quickly due to McDonald's Corporate Functions. No retail stores or restaurants are within walking distance but anything you could want just a short drive away. Not sure this is a good place for Kid's as they might become bored once they find out they probably won't run into Ronald McDonald. Other than that, I don't think you could go wrong at this property. ttz

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed February 25, 2009

Stayed here for the weekend with 2 young children. Service was fantastic. Rooms were clean and quiet. Reminded us of a Frank Lloyd Wright property. Did find breakfast at the restaurant downstairs to be quite pricey-but good food and nice atmosphere. Staff was very friendly and went out of their way to provide good service. Planned on staying one night and ended up extending to 2 nights. Very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
iowa
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We just returned from a trip to Chicago where we stayed at the Hyatt @ McDonalds. We booked our rooms through Priceline, and we really had a great time.
The Hyatt is a little hard to find, even with a GPS. The signs in that area only describe the “Lodge” because it was one time part of McDonalds Hamburger University.
It is a really cool setting right in the middle of Oakbrook, and surrounded by trees, lakes, and golf courses.
The parking is a ways away----but in the park like setting I even enjoyed the walk.
The day we stayed there the whirlpool was closed, but the pool more than made up for the inconvenience.
When we checked in we were asked if we wanted a king bed or 2 doubles, and all 4 of our couples chose the King rooms with no problems. The rooms were all amazing—clean, and spacious, complete with a small flat screen TV-(W/HBO)
This was actually more of a resort than an ordinary 4 star hotel—I loved the Frank Lloyd Wright LIKE design---and it was so relaxing.
The hotel staff gave us every courtesy, even offering us a special place to play cards.
Over all this is a great place to stay---very Zen-like

• Liked — first class friendly staff, location, clean,setting,beds,pool, etc, etc....
  • Disliked — whirlpool didn't work
  • Stayed January 2009
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I stayed at the Hyatt Lodge for a friend's New Year Nuptials. Using Mapquest, I had no problems finding the hotel, you just have to pay close attention to notes that state <.5miles, because there are quick turns shortly after leaving the main route. Checking in went well and I received polite & proper instructions regarding the location of the room, amenties, etc. The hotel is verrrry long. There is only one way to the room that I had that felt like it was about a 1/4 mile from the front desk, though parallel, but it was very worth the walk. The room featured an Asian-influenced low bed, with great decor throughout including a flat-screen tv. The bathroom featured granite countertops, a glass shower, and ample space. After putting my bags down, I did have to park the car and the parking lot seemed to be a 1/2 mile away in very cold, windy temperatures (< 20 degrees). The following day, we attended the nuptials and there was a great deal of walking from the chapel to the reception hall. However, the decor and the occassion made it well worth it. So, if you would like to get your fitness on, without trying, in a well decorated hotel, then the Hyatt Lodge is the place for you.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The long walks
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
United States
Reviewed January 21, 2009

My husband and I had to attend an event in Chicago so we decided to spend an extra night down there to relax. Basically I decided on booking this hotel because of what I can get price wise. I was expecting a high rise commerical type hotel like so many Hyatt's are. But I was very surprised! This was more like a resort at a northwoods area. It was very funny in all of that cement and glass you would find this tranquil resort.

First of all, it was very hard to find. We actually drove past it twice to find the road in. Then almost drove past the road into the resort. Not a very good experience.

Next checkin was done by someone who had this air about them like I was checking into the Ritz. Very stuck up. And when I asked if we could get a room closer to the lobby area because I was having an issue with a knee. Instead I was handed a card and told to go down the hall to find my room. No map, nothing just pointed to go down.

Well that down happen to be three sharp right turns, that connected form three hallways and a flight of stairs down. It ended up the second room from the Spa and workout room. Don't know if the lady was trying to tell me something or what!

The room was beautiful but it had something like duck tap holding up the wires behind the dresser to TV table. It had come lose and was dangling in big black strips. Not a very pretty sight. Plus the carpet looked very worn. But the view was worth paying for.

Our room looked out towards the road but with all of the trees and being on the ground floor it was like a private hideaway. I wish we would have booked more nights then just one. I did not like the extremely long walk to get there but the view soften the emotions.

As for the resort it was very well kept. The only thing I did not like was the pool area. You had to go through the locker rooms, then up the two flights of steps to get there. With this resort being such a maze I could not find another way. Walking up was not bad but walking down being wet looked like an accident waiting to happen. I was scared that I could slip at any time.

Now check out was 100% better except the person could not tell me how to get a main street without looking it up on Mapquest or Yahoo, printing out and then giving it to me. I am surprised the Hyatt does not train their people who do not live in the area the main streets and how to get around the patterns. The lady who checked me out was extremely nice, more down home and warm. Unlike the cold person who checked me in.

I would say if you don't mind walking without a map through the halls that this is a great resort for you.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook
Chicago Marriott Oak Brook

Been to The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus? Share your experiences!