“Solid Business Lodging”

GreenLeadersGold level
Rochester, MN
“Solid Business Lodging”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very good mid-range hotel, principally related to corporate business and/or education at McDonald's Corporation. The hotel is fashioned on Frank Lloyd's style and does an excellent job blending into the natural surroundings.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the conference center vs the parking lot.
Green Features: Very eco-friendly. Built to blend into the surroundings, with the edict that the buildings cannot exceed the height of the surrounding trees. Each guest room has both a wastebasket and a recycling bin
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
ambrdwn
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband had a conferance at this Hyatt so my kids and I decided to join him. We were only there over night but I wish it could have been longer! The grounds are gorgeous and serene and there are walking paths all over. The rooms are so nice! We had a huge flat screen tv and a big leather couch in ours. Every single staff member that we came in contact was very friendly and helpful, from the doorman and front desk staff to the woman manning the health club desk. The pool is amazing, by far the nicest/largest hotel pool I have ever encountered. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

As other reviewers have indicated, this lodge is aesthetically pleasing and the staff is very nice and accomodating. It is a very pleasant place to stay particularly if you have business in area. The rooms are spacious and very nicely appointed. It is set into the woods with a lake separating Hamburger University from the lodge. The lodge has a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere but with an air of elegance and sophistication.

Before you stay here, you need to understand that this hotel was built specifically by McDonald's for franchisees who were attending professional training sessions at Hamburger U. All of the original artwork in the halls and public spaces integrate something about McDonald's in the piece of art. It sounds cheesy but it isn't at all. It was really cool.

The staff here is terrific. Very professional without being stuffy. They make you feel at home no matter who you are. Made me want to come back. Very impressed by the shuttle drivers and valet parkers, too.

Overall, this is a really nice place to stay. It is what happens when a Park Hyatt and McDonald's run a hotel. An intriguing experience.

• Stayed March 2013
Mokena, Illinois
Reviewed April 21, 2013

A beautiful prairie inspired hotel in the woods. Dining areas are alongside a pond filled with geese diving and playing. The lobby and public areas are warm and inviting. The art in many of the guest room hallways are as if Norman Rockwell discovered fast food--charming. I have stayed here twice. The king bed room had a desk and chair near the window overlooking the woods. On a snowy day, the view was beautiful. The pool and hot tub area is splendid. There are spa services as well. The key to a good first impression is to drop off your bags and either valet your car or self-park but the lot is across the street and a little inconvenient to schlep bags. Enter hotel from the parking lot through the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the woods or the pond!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingsport
Reviewed April 21, 2013

First, I would have to say that this Hotel and Property is comparable in natural and aesthetic beauty to the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC. But, as a Hotel that is designated as a 4-star hotel, I expect a lot. The positives include the beauty of the Hotel and the rooms were accommodating and well-appointed. But, we took issue with the fact that it was warm in our room and we could not turn on the A/C. The fan just recirculated the air. We could open our "balcony" door, but you could hear people outside and they could look in your room. The room itself was close to the walking path. Apparently, the A/C is only turned on for part of the year. Second, the refrigerator was completely inoperable. Third, you are charged to use the gym in the hotel. Now, if you want to sign up for the Hyatt Rewards program, it is free. However, it is really kind of dopey that I would need to pay $8 a day to use the gym when we stayed at the hotel for three nights. Also, if you do not valet park, be ready to walk a little bit to the parking lot. It is not too terribly long. However, for a Hotel in the suburbs, I would have expected a closer walk to the lot. Lastly, the kitchen closed somewhat early. So, while the Hotel and property were lovely, the hotel experience itself left a lot to be desired. If 3.5 were an option, that would be my rating. The front desk personnel were very pleasant.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I visited this lodge on March 17-20, 2013, it was a very nice placeto relax and for quietness,off to itself, if thats what you are looking for, which we were. Upon arriving, the male bellman didn't speak or offer to take our luggage(guess he mssed the training on customer service). However, we were greeted by the male desk clerk and he offered us help with our luggage.Upon entering our room, we looked around to finddust everywhere on the counter with TV and phone, it was even an left plastic clothes tag by the TV, that had been left previously, so you know our room was not cleaned properly before we came by housekeeping.The next morning I left a note for housekeeping to clean counter, give us extra towels, a pair of male slipper's, and a robe for my husband. We didn't return back to our room until late afternoon, to find nothing still done, I called the front desk to complain, and hey finally sent someone up.They told me they were all out of slipper's, but a couple minutes later, a male housekeeper found some, but they could not fit a man's foot, nor a woman with big/wide feet. So my husband still ha no slipper's, but now we had a robe for him, I know they knew it was going to be two people in the room(I told them before coming). The male desk clerk didn't speak to us when we came by in the lobby that morning(guess e only speak once per guest visit).We did have good breakfast in the hotel restuarant(Water Edge) and they were all nice the entire stay with smiles on their faces.The food was very good and at the bar section of the lodge, they had a good nacho cheese meal for two. We went to the spa in the lodge and was happy with the service we both had, but customer service was not good from everyone, except one person was really nice to the both of us(her name was Nancy). The pool/fitness/whirlpool was very nice.I had a problem with the lodge billing us the wrong rate a night and never telling us about the$50 a night incidentials fee, I had checked my bank account to find that the lodge had already charged us before we checked out, we were not to leave lodge until the 20th, but they placed charges a whole day and a half before wewere checking out. I called the front desk to complain about all of this, I was so ready to leave, when the 20th got here, I was mad and hadto ask for a copy of charges to see ifthe had fixed it(usually they put it under your room door the night before leaving, but not this lodge) I had to ask for it and then it took five days afterwards for them to correct it to get the right charges from my account(3-25_13). Warning, warning, and beware of this Hyatt Lodge!

1 Thank KLS13_10
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Quiet and peaceful. Walked through the door hit the automated check-in and had keys in less than 30 seconds. Friendly attentive staff is there as well for the more traditional check-in. Natural, simple, very inviting prairie style architecture complements the wooded surroundings. Valet service if needed or park and walk about 5 minutes. Room is spacious and comfortable. Amenities exceeded expectations. Large glass shower. Breakfast was excellent with gourmet twists on traditional favorites while dining lakeside. Only downfall - requested slippers for my wife and I and they were all out.

Room Tip: I would recommend a south facing room near the end of a wing. Nice wooded views and and quiet.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Brook
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook
Chicago Marriott Oak Brook

Been to The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus? Share your experiences!