“CLEAN COMFORTABLE BEDS. Service is sketchy. Traffic noise is AWFUL.”

Chicago Marriott Oak Brook
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Oak Brook
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I travel a lot. I tagged along on a business trip this time, so my review is for both the business and the leisure traveler. Overall, for the money, and considering it was a business trip and not a luxury vacation, you get a nice wonderful bed and a clean room with a flat screen tv. The upgrades are very nice and the neighboring area is upscale. There are no extras in the hotel, but the renovation is great and stylish - including the nice bar.

Pros: The beds are great, extremely comfortable. Rooms are very clean. The bath products in the hotel are from Bath and Body Works - lovely for the lady but not flowery - guys, you'll be fine.
There is a shuttle that will take you all around Oak Brook free of charge (tip the gentleman though, he's WONDERFUL and so friendly). Sometimes the service is above and beyond. For example we both had a cold and when the girl at the front desk heard me cough, she offered to have hot tea brought to our room, no charge! The breakfast buffet is nice as are the servers. You might have to flag them down, but when they come they are very nice and accomodating. I wanted an omlette but no one ever came to the station. I was too shy to go and ask for someone so I made other choices.
Shopping: wonderful - right across from Oak Brook Shopping Center. It's an outdoor mall so bring your gloves and hat! There was plenty to do while my husband had to work. There is a WONDERFUL spa in the shopping center - Mario Tricoci. The hotel shuttle will drop you off and pick you back up = very convenient!
I had a full spa day at Tricoci and while the services were all perfect (and I'm picky), they WILL try to sell you an upgrade on every service, from facial to pedicure.
Restaurants: SO many to choose from right there. Tuscany is next door - it is true authentic Italian, lovely atmosphere and medium to high price - but not high for what you get.

Cons: The traffic noise is really bad. We moved rooms so we could sleep. I suggest asking for a room high up, or for one that doesn't face the highway as it made a big difference. Other revuewers aren't kidding when they say the bathrooms are tiny. You literally have to go into the toilet/shower area, and turn around to shut the door - and we are average size adults. The vanity is small as well but modern and clean. Internet connection - like others say, they could improve here. We changed rooms a third time (first time due to traffic noise), but the last time was due to the previous room's connection was not working. Someone was supposed to bring us a connector but never showed up (hence "sketchy service") On another night we did not get clean towels (our fault, "privacy" was on the door) so as we left to go out to dinner we asked the front desk for some. Well, I guess I thought our room would get cleaned as well, since the sign was off, but we walked into a sloppy pile of clean towels laying on top of our dirty and wet sink.
That was a little strange, but honestly, I think it's because the guy at the front desk said, "I will take care of this personally." That was nice, and he did, however, he is a guy ya know? Sorry fellas, but the trained personnel do a better job! =) We did appreciate the accommodating attitude at the front desk though.

TIPS!!! I learned the hard way ($) that if you take a cab from the airport to Oak Brook, you will be charged the rate plus 1/2. The cab driver doesn't tell you this until you pay. There are "City Cabs" and "Suburban Cabs". A city cab must charge rate and 1/2 by law to drive to a suburb, eve if it's just 20 mins away. Call the hotel in advance, as they have arrangements with a cab company for a flat rate of $27.00 to the hotel. I paid $58.00!
Starbucks is in the hotel, so if you don't want to pay for an expensive breakfast, you can get (good) coffee and a small breakfast instead.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Chicago Marriott Oak Brook

Reviewed January 19, 2010

The hotel itself is very nice. My room was large and comfortable, and the large screen TV was a bonus. On the other hand, the morning traffic noise was considerable, and the internet access charge of almost $17 (including about $2 in taxes) is ridiculous. As most travelers are surely aware, internet access is usually FREE at even cheap chain motels these days, so it's pretty outrageous of Marriott to continue making this such a costly add-on.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was a great hotel, priced right...used Priceline. Entire staff was friendly and helpful.
Hotel was well maintained and appeared very clean....both the common areas and the rooms. Well lit parking, easy access to hotel and rooms. No Bell Service but plenty of Bell carts were available if you needed them. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I stayed here 4 nights with my 19 y.o. daughter. I was attending the MJ Kennedy grade school reunion in Westchester. I was always able to find parking outside the north entrance. The lobby is gorgeous and check-in was a breeze. I asked for a high floor and they gave us the 11th floor. My daughter enjoyed watching the traffic go by on I-88...

The room was roomy and the beds were comfy (not too hard like Asian beds). The comforters will keep you warm and may even overheat you! We enjoyed watching the flat screen TV. They must have Direct TV because we got quite a bit of pixelating interference. I moved the huge table they had tucked underneath another smaller width table to form a desk (sort of). Since i didn't have my laptop PC with me, there was no need for a desk and it jutted out into the aisle past the bed. There was no luggage stand, so I dragged the "desk" to the other side of the TV dresser and used it to unfold my 2 bags and lay out my vitamins.

The bathroom was very small, but the lighting was good, water pressure was good, plenty of shampoo and conditioner provided. And everything was spotlessly clean. They provided a 1.5L bottle of drinking water every day, which i used and really appreciated. However, I thought it was included (FREE). It is not. They charged me $3.50 per bottle upon check-out! Can you believe that? Now I am surprised they didn't charge me $5.00 for the pot of coffee i made or $2.50 each for the shampoos I used. Gosh, that left a bad taste in my mouth.

The buffet breakfast was outstanding. They have wonderful fresh fruit and the egg station omelettes were the best! Make sure it's included in your room rate though, otherwise it costs $15.95 each. They gave me an invoice each morning and I wrote my room number, signed it and wrote "zero - included." The third day, an older Chinese waitress told me that we know it's included, but we work for tips, so don't forget about us! Ohhhh. But it's a buffet - you help yourself. The only thing the wait staff does is gets you silverware, napkin, coffee, orange juice and water. So I left her $2.00 (for all 4 days - hehehe).

The pool and fitness room are in the basement. Both very nice, towels and water provided. One last thing, when I left my daughter at the hotel Saturday afternoon, i gave her $20 for lunch and dinner. Even in the airport, that would be more than enough. Not at the Marriott! It cost her $14 for a salad!! My suggestion is either bring your credit card and don't look at the high prices or get in your car and search for other restos. There is a McDonald's just down the street to the east and the mall right across the street to the north. All staff were very friendly and helpful. The bartender was wonderful Friday night when our group hung up in her way from about 10:30 - midnight.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank risky111
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I got charged a $250 fine for smoking when no such thing happened! The management would not listen to me and would not take the charge off even though housekeeping showed no signs of smoking in the room. Mariott managers are not considerate of their guest and they are all about making money for their hotel. I would never make a reservation at any Mariott hotel again!

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I stayed here with a LOT of family for a wedding. They were very accomodating to all of our needs, and they were very understanding when we took over the lobby every evening. The rooms were clean, newly decorated, and cozy. The front desk was extremely nice and helpful when we needed a VERY late checkout due to a delayed plane.

The breakfast buffet was okay for the price. I felt like the food wasn't replenished as often as it should have been and the quality wasn't that great.

If you like shopping, there are a ton of shops across the street.

Overall, a nice stay at a very solid hotel. If I was in the neighborhood I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nona_9
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Stayed two nights last weekend and the hotel was a really comfortable place. Quick check-in and really soft beds!! Great parking, quiet rooms, super mall right across the street.

Only negatives were slow tv, in fact the internet tv was a joke. Wasted money buying that but it was my own fault for forgetting my laptop. Big conference in hotel my weekend so elevators were extrememly slow. Us steps by entrance and you get some exerercise to boot!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
The Drake Hotel - Oak Brook
Residence Inn Chicago Oak Brook

Been to Chicago Marriott Oak Brook? Share your experiences!