“Ideal Suburban Business Hotel”

Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oak Brook
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I've spent a career staying in 3.5-4 star business class hotels and this Doubletree is among the best. Great location if the family comes along as there is a mall and great dining options within walking distance(at least in good weather) and less than an hour to downtown. As said in other reviews, it isnt ideal for a 'base' for a Chicago trip but perfect for the Western Suburbs and fine for a daytrip into the city.
The staff here went way out of their way to make our group stay ideal, special nod to the staff at the Atrium court. The hotel was spotless, but slightly dated.

Whatever you are doing, you are doing it right. Will be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Missika
dwichers, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, I’m very pleased we meet your expectations and look forward to your future stay. We appreciate your loyalty and thank you for staying with us and again thank you for your valuable feedback.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook

Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed at the Doubletree Chicago Oak Brook for three nights while attending an on-site conference. The conference center itself was a little bleak, located in the basement with no natural light. The rest of the hotel, however, was nice. My room was clean and of good size. The bed was ok, though the mattress was a little soft for my taste. There was ample light for reading, both in the easy chair and in bed. The free internet in the room and conference center worked fine. The TV was a now-old-fashioned tube model. The bathroom had plenty of room and all the fixtures worked properly. I read here on TA about folks being bothered by noisy guests in the hallway, but I didn't experience this at all, though I will note that my room was away from the elevators and my stay wasn't over a weekend. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. One day I forgot to remove the "do not disturb" sign from my door. When I returned at lunch time, I found a note under my door asking me to call to set up a convenient time for cleaning. I called and my room was cleaned later in the day. (I've made the same mistake at other hotels and have simply been ignored--the housekeeping staff was probably happy to service one fewer room. So, this experience at Doubletree Oak Brook was refreshing [pun intended]). My conference group ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel restaurant. The food and service were fine.

The hotel is located about a half hour cab ride from O'Hare. Nothing but the Oak Brook Center, an upscale mall, seems to be nearby. The mall is across the street although the sidewalk configuration makes getting there a bit round-about. The mall has several sit-down restaurants, which was great because it allowed us a different dining option each night without having to travel. I didn't head into Chicago though one of my colleagues did. The trip was about an hour each way by train.

All in all, the Doubletree Oak Brook is a good place to stay. I think it's too far from downtown Chicago to use as a base for a trip with the primary purpose of touring the city (but it's fine to make a one-time trip into the city as my colleague did). It's certainly fine for those attending a conference at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
dwichers, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2010

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for choosing us for your lodging needs during your conference. We look forward to seeing you again if your travel plans bring you back to the Chicago area.

Doubletree Oak Brook

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We stayed at the Doubletree in Oak Brook, IL over the 4th of july holiday weekend. The Hotel was easy to find, located within walking distance of the Oakbrook Center Mall and just a short drive from the Brookfield Zoo. Our room was clean and comfy. The tv was a little dusty as were the top of the beds but easy enough to wipe away the dust. Bathroom ws clean and nicely stocked with towels. The pool was nice. I especially liked that even tho it was an indoor pool there were balcony terraces on either side that you could sit outside and still have a great view of the kids in the pool. The spa tub was not working while we were there and there were no clean towels in the pool area one night. Breakfast buffet was tasty but VERY over priced for what was offered. It is a beautiful hotel with a very nice, friendly staff. Front desk, wait staff and housekeeping employees that we interacted with were all helpful, cheerful, nice people.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
dwichers, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2010

Reviewed June 23, 2010

Great location near an upscale mall (although wish it was a more pedestrian friendly walk to get there). The free shuttle service within a 5 mile radius saved me and my colleagues on cab fare to a meeting in the area. Very comfortable beds and great gym with good equipment. The breakfast was wonderful and the cookies upon check-in were a nice touch. We were interested in one of the mall restaurants, and the front desk provided a voucher for a free appetizer. Very friendly staff and a good price on the room as well!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing us for your recent stay while in the Oak Brook area. It is feedback like yours that will make us a great hotel and look forward to your future stay with us. If there is anything I can do for you please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 1, 2010

Great spot if you are looking for a shopping getaway. You are right across the street from the mall and many restaurants. There was also a fun bar/restaurant located in the hotel that had decent food and a nice fun staff! I was travelling alone and felt very safe there.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed March 8, 2010

The hotel has alot to offer. There is a restuarant which is only open during the week. But the hotel offers breakfast and there is also a bar and grill. When arriving to the Double Tree the fron desk employees were very nice and welcoming. We received vouchers for our freshly baked cookies since there was none. Our room was very clean and nice. We did have an issue with the blow dryer but it was replaced within 5 minutes of our call. We have nothing bad to report. Close to the Oak Brook Mall and plenty of restuarants.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 29, 2009

Doubletree was a mixed bag for us. My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights earlier this month, and overall had a pleasant experience.

We hired a car (what's with everyone driving on the wrong side of the road?!? Heh heh) and each day was able to get a park in the undercover parking area, which was great.

At check-in and check-out, the service wasn't that great. Okay, they did their job, gave us some cookies at check-in... but it would've been EVEN BETTER had we had the same thing done with a smile... I'm not even talking about friendly conversation, just a smile. ANYway, our room was on the 8th floor... and we had free internet! Yeyah! Not only cabled internet, but wifi, too, so hubby could use his laptop while I used my phone... :)

The room was pretty standard - king bed, bedside tables, desk & desk chair, chest of drawers and TV, cabinet with coffee machine... but no fridge? In fact, none of the hotels we stayed at had a mini bar/fridge like you get in every Australian hotel... and instead of a kettle, you get a coffee maker. Weird. But we got used to it.

Everything was comfortable, especially the bed. The room was clean, ans so was the bathroom. We had a globe blow one evening, so left a note for housekeeping with our daily tip, and it was fixed in no time. I think we had friendlier "service" from housekeeping than anyone else in the building. They smiled and said hello when you walked past. When we first arrived, it was one of the cleaners whom pointed us in the direction of our room when we looked a tad lost - nice guy. :)

Anthony's Restaurant was closed for summer, so we dined once for breakfast in the Atrium Cafe. We found much cheaper and fresher meals at other places for breakfast, hence we only ate their once. The food was okay, but we're not big buffet enthusiasts.

Location-wise, it was awesome! Being so close to Oak Brook Centre meant only a drive across the road to a carpark, then walk about to your heart's content. There are some great shops and eatery's nearby, and who can forget 24 hour drive-through at Maccas down the road when you're hungry at 1:00am on a Tuesday. :)

One thing which stood out to my husband and I was the number of functions at Doubletree. I think they had 6 days out of 7 with different functions in one particular room. This room had a foyer area, and it was this area that guests walk through to get to the undercover carpark. We walked through a wedding on our arrival!!! It was so strange dragging luggage through a wedding reception... I almost felt bad... then hubby said we should get dressed up and join in! Heh heh... maybe the staff are too busy serving functions to smile at us guests. :)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
The Drake Hotel - Oak Brook
The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus
Chicago Marriott Oak Brook
Residence Inn Chicago Oak Brook

Been to Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook? Share your experiences!