“Will not go back”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oak Brook
Arvada, Colorado
“Will not go back”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was in Chicago with my mother, step-father, and my aunt to attend my uncle’s funeral (their brothers). This was the weekend of August 15th thru 17th -- We had three rooms in our group. All three rooms smelled musty, my mother’s room was next to the elevator which they heard all night, and all rooms were small in size with either a king or two double beds. I had a suite with a balcony and it was still small and this was classified as an upgrade! The rooms were dingy, dated, my room the wall paper was coming off the wall in the bathroom.
The Happy Hour munchies (Thursday) were Nacho's. If we hadn’t asked the waiter to refill the chips we might not have gotten any appetizers at all and he seemed like he did not want to refill the Nacho ingredients. Tables were dirty for having one bartender and one waiter, the drinks were expensive, not much alcohol for the cost and the bar was loud –
Friday morning all four of us ate in the restaurant the staff was attentive and friendly. HOWEVER I was the only person in our group to eat the Yogurt and granola – and I got food poisoning. I told the Front Desk person “KC” that I got food poisoning from the Yogurt and he seemed uninterested, his female coworker overheard our conversation and she was uninterested.
Saturday morning I got up early and told the night auditor, she did not care. I stopped at the front desk AGAIN later that morning to check out of my room and a different Front Desk person didn’t care either. I even told them I thought it was the Yogurt – no apology, no nothing.
I would not go back to this particular hotel, nor would I spend my hard earned money here again.
Pros:
25 minute drive from O’Hare Airport in traffic and thru two (2) Toll Booths – Hotel offers a free shuttle bus/van to the large outdoor mall across the street which provides many shopping opportunities and loads of restaurants to choose from. The workout room and swimming pool seemed to be up to date, function and well maintained, free off street garage parking. The small gift shop the clerk was friendly and knowledgeable about the area and was very helpful with Sprite and Rolaids and hearing aide batteries.

Room Tip: Don't use this hotel - that's my tip
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Arvada-CO-Lmmacek
GMDoubletreeOakBrook, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Elizabeth M,

I am terribly sorry how we handled your stay. I have shared this review with our entire team, and we have discussed in detail what we could have done differently.

Please call me on my cell phone at your convenience. 630 715-9211.

Chris Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Room was simple but purposeful, but this was compensated by great amenities: business center was working and useful, gym very well stocked and it's just in front of a large mall providing lots of restaurants

1 Thank Pierre I
GMDoubletreeOakBrook, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Pierre I,

Thank you for the kind words about our facilities. As someone who regularly works out, we do have a fantastic fitness center for our hotel guests. That's not always the case at many hotels.

Akron, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A nice little hotel for a conference. The rooms need refrigerators and the bellmen are stingy with the carts. I was moving some delicate equipment and they wouldn't let me use a cart, so that as a pain. other than that, it was fine.

Brent W,

Thank you for having your conference here with us! We are glad you enjoyed your visit, and thank you for the feedback.

We appreciate your business, and look forward to having you back as our guest.

Clinton, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Fantastic service, nice rooms. Only one problem but it was solved that same day. Would recommend this to others easily. The rates were fantastic for the group stay -- we were part of a convention - so I don't know what they are normally but we were very satisfied with everything.

1 Thank Edvydas C
Edvydas C,

Thank you for the kind words about the team, and the hotel. We are proud to share that we are #2 in the greater Chicago area in our DoubleTree Brand Scorecard! That's an overall service score card, where we are in the top 25% of the Brand.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great location, adjacent to a nice mall with plenty of restaurants to choose from around its vicinity. Nice rooms that are clean and spacious. Nice affordable price that does not burn your pocket. Love the warm chocolate cookies. Nice offering for breakfast. Will definitely stay again.

1 Thank Phil M
GMDoubletreeOakBrook, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Phil M,

I agree the warm chocolate chip cookie with walnuts is delicious! Did you know that DoubleTree by Hilton gives out approximately 60,000 cookies a day, that's over 21 million annually.

Thank you for the kind words about the hotel, and the team. We look forward to having you back as our guest.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here for business back in June. The hotel was clean and comfortable. I had a little bit of a rough start because initially the key did not work for the room to which I was sent which required me to hall my belongings back downstairs to get a new room. After that minor hiccup, things were just fine. The location is very good for visiting businesses in Oakbrook and I liked that it was right accross from a large shopping center. I also appreciated the cucumber and lemon water provided in the lobby.

I tried the room service for breakfast. Unfortunately, there was an error with my order. They offered to fix it, but unfortunatley, I was pressed for time and ended up only eating the toast. I'm sure if it had been correct, it would have been fine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
DLK26,

First let me apologize again for the mistake with room service, and you key not working. Both extremely frustrating experiences that should not have happened.

Thank you though for taking the time to share your experience, and for the kind words about the hotel, and the team.

Fort Worth, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

For most purposes, this is a good hotel for almost anything. Very good shopping and dining close by. It is a large hotel, so if there is mobility problems, I would think twice although I'm sure the staff would make appropriate accommodations.

1 Thank Kory T
Kory T,

With all of the hotel choices in Oak Brook thank you for choosing us! Not only would we assist guests with mobility challenges in our hotel, we also just bought a brand new shuttle to better accommodate our guests needs for transportation to dining, shopping, or wherever they might need to go.

Thank you again for being our guest.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Brook
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Le Meridien Chicago - Oakbrook Center
The Drake Hotel - Oak Brook
The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakb...
#2 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Chicago Marriott Oak Brook

Been to Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook? Share your experiences!