“Nice stay”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oak Brook
Freeport, Illinois
“Nice stay”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I had a nice stay. The hotel must of went under a remodel with-in the last few years. It was nice. The room was a little smaller than I would have thougth for an upscale hotel but my King bed and chair fit nice for me. The bathroom was very nice and super clean. A must for me. The mattress was a newer pillow top but very firm. Some like it that way but I like a little softer so it was hard to sleep for me. The rest of the room had the usual stuff. Nice desk, big tv, coffee in room, iron, hair drier. My only real complaint was the welcome. The guy that night must of had a bad night and I got some of it. He was not happy I was there and the warm cookie they give you (which was good) was slammed down in front of me to the point he broke it.The rest of the staff was very nice. I must say I did like the free parking garage. I had a seminar at a confrence center a few miles away and they were glad to take me over and bring me back. I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeOakBrook, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this review, September 24, 2011
Thank you for letting us know about your time spent at the Doubletree Chicago Oak Brook. It’s wonderful to see that your accommodations met your expectations and that we were able to help with transportation to your conference. Thank you for noticing the efforts that went into our renovation. The welcome you received was unacceptable and not what is expected from our staff and your comments will be addressed with our Front Desk Manager. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay at our hotel very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 8, 2011

The hotel is nice with a nice restaurant and rooms. My gripe was with the staff.

(1) The hotel shuttle driver told me to take a cab because he didn't want to put me on the shuttle the first morning there, went to the front desk, and they got me on shuttle.
(2) Called the shuttle driver for pick up and was told 2 hour wait and to take a cab.
(3) Called the restaurant for a take-out order, was told they can't do phone orders and I have to come down to the restaurant.
(4) Called housekeeping manager after I left a shirt in room upon check-out and was told "sorry its not here", I am 99% certain I left in room on the hanger in bathroom door hook.

If it wasn't for the staff, it's a nice hotel and offer some good deals if you can get one.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
A hotel is not just the building; it’s also the people and the service that make it a great place. We are truly disappointed to hear that your interaction with several of our staff was not indicative of the level of service we strive to maintain. Please accept our apologies and know that the situations you spoke of will be addressed with the appropriate departments. We hope that this will not be your last time in Chicago as we would love to have another opportunity to earn a better impression and provide the experience that many have come to enjoy at the Doubletree Chicago Oak Brook. Thank you for giving us your feedback.
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is not a bad hotel, but it is starting to get older. The room was clean and had everything you would expect....except for a refrigerator and microwave. I did expect those with a hotel such as this one. The wine bar and sports bar were both better than the standard hotel bars. Overall, I think that it was probably one of the best hotels in the area in the 80s but I think it is starting to get dated. At least the beds were nice and the TV was a large LCD flat screen so I think overall, the room itself would just make it to 4 stars from me. The warm cookies upon arrival are also a nice touch :)

Beware if you have planning a conference here. Some of the rooms have chairs that are so worn out that the padding is essentially only the board. We were also moved out of a room that we had reserved and paid for because they wanted it for the President of Doubletree for his visit. Personally, I could care less if the Pres of Doubletree was coming in as I do not work for him. Our room we were moved to was the worst conference room I have ever been in. If I was rating the conference rooms of this place, it would only get 2 stars. They tried to make up for it by giving us free coffee and snacks and being real nice, but to have the nerve to kick us out of a room that we had paid for, set up in, and reserved is quite unbelievable.

The location of the place isn't bad since it is right across the road from the mall, which has many decent restaurants. I didn't do much research for other hotel in the area but I would say they one is about average.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TravChief
DoubletreeOakBrook, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay the Doubletree Chicago Oak Brook. We’re happy to see that you were able to get a good night’s rest with our renowned Sweet Dreams™ sleep experience and took advantage of our convenient location to many Oak Brook attractions and restaurants. Mini-refrigerators are available in our suites and we would welcome the opportunity to be of assistance in finding you the perfect room. With 30,000 square feet of meeting space in the hotel, our goal is to accommodate all needs and meet expectations. We regret not achieving that goal and any inconveniences you may have experienced. Thank you again for your feedback.
Franklin, Indiana
Reviewed August 7, 2011

As usual, the Hilton chain did not disappoint me. This double tree was in a nice location across from a nice mall (which we didn't get to visit). The public areas are well kept and up-to-date. Loved the fresh, warm cookies upon checkin. Made reservation through a 3rd party and my fault for not calling ahead to make sure we were in a room with two beds because when we checked in, they said they only had rooms with king bed and nothing else. I had 3 kids staying with me so was very concerned with all of us sleeping in one king bed. But we had booked two rooms and by the time the other room was ready, they said they had one room on a different floor with two beds so we grabbed it right away and it ended up working out great although they kept saying they had nothing else available. They have a nice swimming pool and work out area on the 2nd floor. Parking was free which is a plus in the Chicago area!! Also free wi-fi or wired internet throughout the hotel which was great too. I would definately stay here again if given the choice. Thanks, Hilton, for another good stay!

Room Tip: Call ahead for anything specail. They said they are not allowed to use roll away beds.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to the Chicago area. Doubletree Cookies are celebrating their 25th Anniversary this year with a Cookie CAREavan tour around the country giving out free cookies! We appreciate your mention of the many great amenities available at the Doubletree Chicago Oak Brook and how you enjoyed them. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the area.
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We were looking to just spend a night away and booked the hotel last minute; got it cheap via Priceline. It was considered 3-star upscale but I should say that there is nothing "upscale" with the rooms. There was a convention going on, so the hotel was very busy and although the check-in is at 3pm, the rooms were not ready. I didn't have to wait too long but I could tell there was some frustration at the front desk, although I can't complain about the service - complimentary chocolate chip cookies were great!

If I paid full price for the room, I would not have been very happy but overall, they have a nice bed and for the great location in the suburbs, it makes for a decent place to stay.

Room Tip: If you're willing to take a risk, try Priceline and you may get this hotel on a discount!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeOakBrook, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
It sounds like you got a great deal for your night away at the Doubletree Chicago Oak Brook. The Doubletree Cookies are a favorite with our guests and we’re so glad that you enjoyed them as well! We appreciate your patience and understanding during checkout and regret any inconvenience you encountered. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the future for a longer stay.
St. Louis
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Only about 20 minutes from medical centers/UIC, the Oak Brook Doubletree is a nice option for travelers who don't mind driving into Chicago, or driving to the nearby train. The hotel was one of the few in the immediate suburb/city vicinity that included free -and covered- parking.

The rates were very reasonable, and the hotel felt very safe. It is very near a mall and dining options are all very close. Our room was clean and comfortable, but not upscale. There were several conventions or events in the main part of the hotel, but the noise and activities seemed to be relegated to the lower level.

Check in staff was friendly. The breakfast buffet was fair, but some items were running low, and the dining experience was crowded and chaotic.

Overall, this was a nice stay and a good value so close to the city.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
dwichers, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We appreciate when our guests leave helpful tips for those with future plans to visit! It was great to learn that our location was convenient and the covered parking suited your needs. We hope to welcome you back to the Doubletree Chicago Oak Brook on your next visit to the Chicago area.
Toledo Ohio
Reviewed July 11, 2011

It is so sad that the Renaissance closed - to be in this area, the
Doubletree is the only choice. This was a Hyatt long ago and it deteriorated. Now the Doubletree is the stand-in. This is NOT an upscale hotel - it is average and probably not as updated as the Courtyards and Hamptons that are nearby. The Marriott is a much better choice. For some of the specifics:

1. Despite calling the same day to confirm a particular type of room (one with a roll-in shower) and being told at 1 pm that the room was registered to me, at my check-in at 4:45 pm, that room had been given away. Fortunately there was another one available but the registration clerk had no details of this.
2. It is amazing that the front desk clerk must go behind the front area back into the private area to key code the room access keys. And of course, after not having the originally promised room to begin with, this necessitated a second delay.
3. The Concierge Lounge / Executive Lounge - Gold members and above are given courtesy access -- This is a very small lounge that is open ONLY from 6-9pm -- not for breakfast!?? like other hotel chains. But it is just as well since as soon as I was seated, two couples (4 people) came into the lounge and filled their small plates to overflowing (not once, not twice, but three times) - I think they thought it was a Denny's all-you-can-eat buffet (and they looked it). I was glad to leave and even more glad I would not face them at breakfast.
3. Mid July - and the air conditioner has its control fixed at 65 degrees (which of course does not mean 65 degrees). The Engineering man said that was the coolest he could turn it. This of course was when I had to call Engineering for burned out lightbulbs - does housekeeping not check?
4. The rooms are small, slightly worn, and the walls do carry noise as mentioned by other reviewers. This was a problem years ago when the Hyatt ran the property and it still is a concern.
5. Upkeep is average, what you would expect from a hotel near an interstate, not what you would expect in Oak Brook.
6. The restaurant is quite average, likely because of the choices in the area. But this becomes the vicious cycle problem for hotels - if they do not provide good mean service in the evening, they will not have a crowd, and then they will not be able to provide it.
7. Room service was used only for breakfast and was quite average. Garnishing scrambled eggs with a single leaf of parsley is so standard. They should try to get the food to the room quicker and fresher next time. it was better than a Holiday Inn but not as good as a Marriott or Westin.
8. Staff were friendly but did not go out of their way. Service time at dinner was quite slow which is one reason many solo business travelers order room service. But based upon the breakfast room service, one would be better off ordering a pizza delivery. In fact, the hotel reminded me of those hotels I often have to stay in for business which lack meal facilities and require calling a local eatery for food delivery.

All in all, this is an average to below average property. The cookie provided at check-in does not make up for this mediocrity.

I do regret that the Renaissance closed and next time I will stay at the nearby Marriott.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
dwichers, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Your feedback is truly vital to us in making sure that our hotel meets the quality standards that Doubletree is known for. We regret to see that your stay did meet your expectations, but appreciate the time you took to let us know about your stay. Thank you for alerting our staff to the problems in your room and giving us the opportunity to fix them. We do apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to noise from other guests. Thank you again, for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Brook
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Le Meridien Chicago - Oakbrook Center
The Drake Hotel - Oak Brook
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakb...
#2 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus
Chicago Marriott Oak Brook

Been to Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook? Share your experiences!