“This hotel seems more like a relative's guest room”

Residence Inn Chicago Oak Brook
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Oak Brook
Lancaster, Ohio
“This hotel seems more like a relative's guest room”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We've stayed at this Residence Inn several times, even passing hotels that are closer to our destination because we know that this hotel will not disappoint. The manager was ever-present this past weekend, keeping the breakfast area clean and well supplied. The desk staff are friendly and quickly accommodated our late check out; our roll away arrived without prompting. This hotel would get an excellent review, in my book, if the suites offered a King sized bed. We appreciate the nice re-do of the rooms but it baffles me that a large suite would feature a queen sized bed. Nevertheless, this hotel is a sure bet and I'll put up with the queen beds just because I know that the service will be excellent, the common areas perfectly clean, and the management visible.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
United States
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Had a great stay at the Residence Inn in Oak Brook. Check-in was fast and the room was newly renovated, clean with beautiful decor. The bed was a little on the soft side IMO but I like firm beds. They had a pool and a workout room but didn't use it. Love that it's close to a huge mall. Not sure I would walk it though, it's across a busy street/highway.

Breakfast was great with the usual Res Inn menu of oatmeal, waffles, hash browns, omelette, scrambled eggs, cheese, yogurt etc.

The only negative I could think of was that the hotel was right in the middle of an industrial building so you either have to walk far or have a vehicle and it was very quiet. But would definitely stay here again .

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Anoini2
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have stayed at this Residence Inn several times between August and December. The rooms I have been given have always been clean and comfortable. During the December visit, the drains in the bathroom sink and shower drained very slowly. Since I did not really notice this until the morning and I was only staying 1 night that visit, not much of a problem for me. I mentioned it to the desk clerk when I checked out and she took what seemed like a detailed note about it. The other thing I'll mention is that the building can be hard to find because it is behind several other buildings in an office park setting and the signage is not easy to see, particularly if you arrive when it is dark. The hot breakfast is always plentiful (eggs and/or potatoes, sausage or bacon and waffle maker) and the staff keeps it well stocked during service hours.

Room Tip: My suggestion would be try and get a room on the upper floors as the rooms on the first floor seem t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This Oakbrook shopping area hotel is a great weekend stay with two caveats. First the good news. With a refreshed look and new furniture the hotel is inviting and quite comfortable. The staff is outstanding. There was the typical buffet breakfast and glass plates for my food -- Disposable dishes belong at the campsite not a Marriott hotel.
Now the issues. The swimming pool was cold. It looked inviting when we jumped in only to ump out fast and stay in the hot tub. I did let the staff know and received a wonderful email from the manager apologizing and thanking me for bringing it to her attention. While this is the appropriate way to handle my comment, I wish it had not been necessary at all.
And here is my biggest issue: the rooms have queen size beds. Who has queen size beds in this day and age in the US? In Europe, yes. In Chicago, no. True they offered a pull-out. But show me a pull out that is actually comfortable. So to Marriott I say, what was your thought process on this? No kings or doubles in the studio? Very strange indeed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Every Thanksgiving weekend we enjoy our stay at this Residence Inn. This year our daughter and her family stayed as well. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The receptionist made sure our rooms were next to each other. The deluxe continental breakfast is excellent. The manager Mike in the breakfast area suggested Safari Land in nearby Villa Park as a great place to take the kids the day after Thanksgiving. It was a HUGE hit for our 5 grandchildren. The rooms have been redone and are very comfortable. The prices are certainly very reasonable for the Chicago area. The Oak Brook Mall is within walking distance where we dined one evening in one of the many restaurants. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend for two night, great value $99 a night including hot buffet breakfast and free parking. Close to Oakbrook mall which has a great Italian restaurant called Maggiano's. My only criticism is the location is not great as it is in a business park but it a nice area.

• Stayed November 2012
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed October 25, 2012

By far the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in, hands down! My infant son spends lots of time on the floor- a nightmare for germs! In other hotels he's gotten very dirty- feet, hands, knees, bottom, just grey or black with dirt. At the Residence in Oak Brook he stayed completely clean. I spilled water in the kitchen area and when I cleaned it up, the paper towel was cleaner than had it been my own home! The cleanliness was extended to the living area, bedroom and bathroom. Comfy, well decorated, very clean and convenient location for shopping, restaurants and groceries. We will stay again!

Room Tip: Suites are great for an extended stay.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chicago Marriott Oak Brook
The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus
Le Meridien Chicago - Oakbrook Center
Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook

Been to Residence Inn Chicago Oak Brook? Share your experiences!