“Good Hotel, but not walking to distance to mall”

Residence Inn Chicago Oak Brook
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Oak Brook
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good Hotel, but not walking to distance to mall”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a business trip . The rooms are very spacious full kitchen, living room, nice bedroom etc. The rooms and staff are great. They let me check in early with no problems at all which was a plus. There is construction going on across the parking lot but they did not start until 7:30am which was not a problem but just keep that in mind. The hotel itself is hard to find my taxi driver had problems because there is no signs visible from the road. The other issue it is across the highway from the mall and all the restaurants. So if you want to go to the mall/ or out to eat you will have to drive or take the shuttle.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I just stayed here two nights with my daughter while visiting Chicago. I agree with the positives that others have expressed-the studio room we shared was spacious, neat and pleasantly decorated, the staff friendly and the buffet decent. The staff servicing the buffet area were extremely accommodating and gracious.

The negatives-1)The signage. The hotel is not visible from the road and don't look for a standard Marriott Residence Inn sign to help you find the way, as there isn't any. There is a fairly understated sign with the names of several businesses on it, one of which is for the hotel. I couldn't find it and once past the area, unfortunately followed the advice of my GPS, which took me back on the tollway (at rush hour) to direct me back to the hotel. I really suggest you call the hotel prior to arriving so they can direct you. 2) The beds. The bed I slept in was definitely the firmest mattress I've ever encountered in a hotel. My daughter slept on the sofa sleeper and complained of waking up sore. I assumed it couldn't be that bad, but as we packed to leave, I laid down on the mattress. It was bad. The mattress was long past its life expectancy and needs to be replaced.

If this hotel invests in replacing its mattresses and does something to resolve the sign issue, I definitely give it five stars.

Room Tip: If you'd like to open the window, a room away from the expressway would be quieter,
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank midwestmaggie
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel exceeded our expections! The Oak Brook location was convenient enough to getting into downtown Chicago sightseeing. We also liked quick access to mall restaurants (across the street) and grocery stores (whole Foods & others nearby). The staff was super helpful. This whole place was updated and clean!! Our suite worked great for our family over several days. Breakfast was a big step above the usual freebie. Gorgeous lobby area with multiple seating areas and tvs. Wish all hotels were like this at this price!

• Stayed August 2012
St. Augustine FL
Reviewed July 31, 2012

As other reviewers have said the hotel has been updated and is in a good location. I found the staff friendly the room clean and overall I would stay here again.

The only negative is the road noise, since I travel with a white noise machine it was not problem.

If you want a room that is quiet I would suggest asking for a room that does not face the interstate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gregbooras
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a typical Residence Inn.
Pros: updated rooms, friendly and accommodating staff
Cons: room was clean when I checked in, but during my stay, housekeeping made the bed and that's it. They also did a poor job of replacing the coffee and the towels. I was surprised by this. I asked for a couple of washcloths from the housekeeper and she said she only had one to give me.

I'm wondering if the hotel mgmt is penny pinching or just being cheap. This is a upscale area and the hotel was full. I also didn't appreciate the political comments of one of the staff members. I don't care to hear the political opinions of staff whether I agree with them or not.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the side away from the fwy, by the school, they're quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Due to local power outage my mom and I booked this for 1 night. The lobby and rooms have been updated and were very clean. We were greeted warmly by staff. Our room was a studio suite and was very spacious. We enjoyed the evening reception (Monday-Thursday) which consisted of gyros, salad, dessert, wine, beer and other non-alcoholic beverages. We were unable to enjoy the complimentary breakfast the next day. Marriott hasn’t failed me yet. I would recommend the property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kansas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

A weeklong staff meeting took me to the western suburbs. This hotel was negotiated by the local team, and as such I did not know what to expect. I could not have predicted the outstanding service I was about to receive.

From the moment I checked in I was made to feel like a valued guest. What impressed me the most was that while enjoying the breakfast or evening reception, there was always someone walking around and making sure you had what you needed. If you needed a refill on a beverage, they would take care of it for you. In my experience, you don't get this AND complimentary food and drinks. Well done!

That being said, it was a bit more than I am used to paying in this area. So incredible service comes with a cost, making the value average.

The rooms are very good. Comfortable and clean. The only negatives is that there is no ice in the freezed when you check in, and no ice machine available for guests. Also, the coffee machine did not work right, and I had coffee all over the kitchen.

Based on the location and the service, I would have no problem recommending this property.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook
The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus
Chicago Marriott Oak Brook
Le Meridien Chicago - Oakbrook Center

Been to Residence Inn Chicago Oak Brook? Share your experiences!