“A Diamond Find!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Hand & Diamond

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coedway
The Old Hand & Diamond
Ranked #1 of 1 Coedway B&B and Inns
Manchester
“A Diamond Find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed here with friends on the 8th March 2013 to attend a wedding at Rowton Castle which is a 5 min drive away. The Inn was built in the 17th Century has the original beams running through all the rooms and a glowing log fire, which was great to see, we had a light lunch, it was quite busy with people dining, the staff warm and friendly along with a nice atmosphere in the bar, the menu was well varied with some great choices, along with daily specials, we had breakfast the following morning at 9am a Full English was offered though to much for us,
I opted for 2x poached eggs and 2x sausage, very nice.
The Inn offered a free taxi to and from the Castle, we took advantage of the free taxi to collect us at the end of the evening 12:15am. (Don't forget to tip the driver.) Has we had two vehicles we choose to drive to Rowton Castle and leave one car there. My wife and I stayed in room 201 in the roof of the Inn, the one shown from the Inn's web site, a pleasant room 1xdouble 2x single beds the double was comfortable, the on-suite bathroom was good with a large bath, and a hand shower. My only gripe was the tired faded bed spreads when we first walked into the room, would of been nice to see a burst of colour... !
Should we be passing this Inn again we'll certainly be calling in for a warm welcome and excellent food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

This place really is a diamond. I stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding at rowton castle. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel right at home. The room was very tidy and comfortable. The food was delicious, all locally sourced and freshly prepared. To top it off they had 'magic mike' come and collect us from rowton castle to take us back at no extra cost. I would definitely return to this wonderful country pub

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were here for a meal the night before a wedding at nearby Rowton Castle. We were a large party of around 21 people and despite the large party size found the service at dinner excellent. The food was delicious and excellent value for money for very generous portion sizes. The beer was also a reasonable price. A few of us stopped overnight, personally my only downside was my room which was a single room with a very small single bed. The very small room was a little dark and grim decor wise and I did find that my feet overhung the bed a little and I am only 5'10. Also whenever anyone walked across the room above it was extremely noisy in my room so both of those, combined with the rain and wind lashing the single glazed windows I didn't get much sleep. The room would be fine for a child or teenager, however if I had been given the option when booking I would have much prefered to have paid slightly more for a standard double room. I had seen a friends rooms and they were much better, so it seems I drew the short straw. For the price though I couldn't really complain. Breakfast was delicious and the young man who servedo us at breakfast really was excellent, Impeccably polite and attentative and could certainly teach others in the trade a thing or two. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: If a single traveller, ask for a double room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
manciet, france
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were staying just down the road and were looking for a country pub lunch that was not a full roast and not packed in like sardines. The welcome was warm and we chose to eat in the bar area - A menu for all tastes and the steak that I had was tasty and very well prepared. Excellent home made chips and very efficient but unrushed service. The staff make a huge effort to make you welcome and the wine list is varied and very affordable.

Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed two nights as we were attending a wedding at Rowton Castle. Room 202 was very clean but was very small. The wardrobe is only half size so could not hang my dress in it and had to make do with the back of the bathroom door. Making a cup of tea involved bending up double to crouch in the corner under the eaves. Bathroom too small for a basin so it is in the room. The bed was comfy and the room would have been lovely if we were just away for a normal weekend but getting ready for a wedding as really tricky in this room due to the lack of space and low eaves. I suspect the rooms on the floor below would be bigger and if you are intending to book for a wedding I would recommend you ask for a larger room. The father of the bride was in the room next door to us on the first night and he was saying how they weren't going to attempt getting ready in that room and they changed at the castle.
The staff are friendly and warm and go out of their way to be pleasant and helpful. The breakfast is orange juice, cereals and the full English. Very well cooked and excellent service from the gentleman on each morning. He was so nice and so welcoming. Cooked breakfasts were excellent! It's a lovely place and I would stay again if I were in the area. Lovely and clean and a lovely place to stay but just ask for a larger room if you are intending to dress for a wedding!

Room Tip: top rooms are very cramped due to the sloping eaves.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynda P
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

We went as a family for a Saturday afternoon meal together. We were promptly seated and given wine lists and food menus. The eating area looked a bit 'aged' but maybe that is what the decorator intended. It is, after all, country pub. Having said that everything was clean.

The place mats where made of rough slate which was unusual and I was a little concerned about the plate not sitting on it but it seemed OK when I was eating.

The carvery looked very nice but with it being near Xmas I did not fancy facing another roast dinner as there seems to be a prevalence of them at this time of year so I treated myself to fish, chips and mushy peas. My sister-in-law and niece ordered paninis while everyone else had the carvery which was offering either beef or (inevitably) turkey with roast potatoes and other vegetables. Those using the carvery did not have to wait for their food, but those of use ordering non-carvery did not have to wait long.

The food was absolutely fine and very enjoyable and I failed to finish all of it. Those who had the carvery had plenty on their plates too.

Afterwards we ordered from the rather expensive pudding menu and the portions were a good size and the food was well done. The only blot was that cappuccinos were not available as the machine had broken.

Overall, the place was nice, the staff helpful and pleasant and the food was very good. We will eat there again.

cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

recently stayed at this b and b for a wedding at the local rowtan castle the rooms were ready on time we were able to get ready then have a drink before the minibus supplied by hand and diamond took us to the castle he also picked us up to change for the evening function the picked us up at end of night we had a late drink with locals and ian the landlord. Great breakfast following morning, overall the rooms were of good size and clean would recommend a stay at this b and b.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coedway
Rowton Castle
Big Bear Lodge
Big Bear Lodge
#1 of 1 in Melverley
Wollaston Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Old Hand & Diamond? Share your experiences!