“Worst Ever!”

Super 8 Chicago Northlake O'Hare South
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Northlake
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We didn't even get to stay here!!We booked a room 3 days in advance,got there and they don't have our reservation.The lady at the desk started screaming at me!!Then they send us to the compfort inn wich charged Way too much!!the lady at Econo-Lodge called the Compfort Inn and starts speaking Polish to the other person,I thought this was Very Rude because when we got to the Compfort Inn the person spoke English!! I will Never recommend this place to anyone wether I know them or not!!! Completely disgusted!!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 30, 2007

Marginal, at best, is a suitable for description for this property.

The carpets could do with replacing, and there is a 3-4" gap at the bottom of every hotel room door......big enough for a rat to squeeze under! You can hear everything that goes on in the hallways.

Hotel is directly below the flight path of one of O'Hare's runways, and, you will hear planes constantly throughout the day. They appeared to stop at night......after 11pm. There are also railroad tracks, immediately to the south of the Hotel.

When I woke up in the morning, which was the result of several other guests shouting in the hallway, I noticed that there were condom wrappers laying in the hallway.

One redeeming quality is the attached family restaurant, which did serve a great breakfast. The local police departments frequent the restaurant, but, they ride in pairs......which doesn't say a lot for the local neighborhood.

Best to pay a little extra, and stay in a property which is a little more upscale and cleaner than this one.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2007

The front desk staff had no clue what they were doing. They had me booked into two rooms at once and swipped my card so many times I had to check with my visa company to make sure I had not been multi-charged.
The night was a warm and the air con did not work. Went to front desk to report fault and was told the air con was off in all the rooms. The woman on the desk told me to "open a window" if I was hot. My room was on the ground floor and being a woman alone in an unfamilier city, being told to "open the window" was not acceptable. Aside from that, the bathroom was filthy with someone else's pubic hairs in the tub. There were dust bunnies on the floor and the springs to the bed were shot. Complained the next day to the day staff, woman just shrugged her shoulders and turned away. The staff don't care about the customer. That is not the way a motel should be run!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2006

I stayed at this hotel on the 8th of July, and a few other times. It's your basic no frills hotel. Checking in and out is a slow moving process. At checkout call the front desk and say you will be checking out in 20 minutes and if they could have everything ready. If you are looking for Chicago in this area forget it. It's a standard airport hotel and for over nighters(if you know what I mean). Great shuttle service, which is free. There is a grocery store and a few bars within walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank td507
harvard100, Manager at Super 8 Chicago Northlake O'Hare South, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Dear Guests,

Please be advised that the Super 8 Northlake Chicago O'Hare South Hotel has been under new ownership and management since 2009. Any reviews prior to this date do not apply and should in no way be associated with the service and accommodations of the Super 8 Northlake O'Hare South hotel today. Thank you for your understanding.

Reviewed August 10, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel in August and yes the area has seen its better days but the room was clean and the staff was friendly. I was picked up by the manager as my flight did not get in until 1am due to delays and he was very friendly. Breakfast was rolls and coffee again nothing fancy but it worked. If you need a place to crash for the night this place will do, but dont come in with high expectations just expect a cheap price and a bed.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank MWATT

Reviewed July 25, 2006

How can I express how terrible my stay at the O'Hare Econo Lodge was in words? I wouldn't stay in this motel again even if it was a choice between that or sleeping in my car.

First off, the neighborhood this motel in is poor. It's not terrible, but it was shady enough to make me reconsider staying here for the night. There's even an adult bookstore right across the street from the motel. Not a place to take your kids, obviously.

The check-in was uneventful, but certainly not welcoming. Our room wasn't dirty, per se, but I wouldn't call it first class either. The bedsheets had a half-dollar sized hole in them, and one of the small walls looked unfinished in that it had something that might have been a thermostat on it at one point, but had been removed. The remote was lacking its battery cover and had the batteries taped in place. However, the remote didn't see much use as the channel selection was quite poor anyway.

The real treat came in the middle of the night when the power went out. The lights were *barely* lit and some wouldn't turn on at all (like the bathroom light). When I went to ask about what was going on, the employee at the desk was very rude and abrupt and offered no consolation or apology at all. The power never came back on even after we had checked out. Even as we were checking out, we were offered no apology or any courtesy at all. When we complained about our stay and asked for a refund, the clerk at the desk wordlessly handed us a business card for the manager of the property.

Contacting the manager was awful as well, as he offered no apology or offer of compensation either. He told us that he didn't handle refunds and that someone else would be in contact with us tomorrow (who never called).

I suppose you can't expect the staff to be respectful to customers when the manager won't be respectful and set an example of proper customer service.

I won't stay here again and I strongly caution everyone else to stay away as well.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 2, 2006

I am so disgusted and outraged with this hotel and its staff that I'm not even sure where to begin this review. My partner and I just returned from Chicago yesterday. We stayed overnight at this Econo Lodge the night of July 1st. I have been an avid traveler for my entire life, and I honestly cannot remember -any- hotel stay that was worse than this one.

From the moment that we entered the neighborhood that this hotel resides in, we were leery and frightened. This Econo Lodge is in a shady, dirty, run-down neighborhood. We were so leery of the neighborhood, in fact, that we actually thought about cancelling the reservation -even though- it was too late to get our money back. We were that nervous. However, about a block south, the neighborhood seemed to get a -bit- nicer and the hotel itself -appeared- to be okay, so we made the decision to stay.

It wasn't a good decision to make.

We were greeted in the lobby by a staff member who, while not exactly rude, just came across as bored. When we got up to our room, one of the first things that we noticed was some kind of metal apparatus on the wall that looked like it used to be a thermostat or something like it. It wasn't being used for anything now and was creating an eyesore on the wall. The two positive things that I can say about the room are that it was clean and that it was spacious enough for the two of us. I can't say anything else positive about this hotel except that I am thrilled that our car wasn't broken into in the middle of the night due to the neighborhood that this hotel is in.

There are so many bad things to say about this hotel that it's hard to know where to start. I'll start with the cable system. While the hotel is advertised as having a "premium" cable system (whatever that means), we were extremely disappointed. The television received approximately ten channels, and four of them were in a foreign language. Most of the channels that were in English were really obscure channels that I had never even heard of before. For example, there was a channel called 'Wise'. Back at home, we've got more channels than I'd like to take the time to count, and I've never once heard of 'Wise'. There didn't seem to be a CBS, NBC, ABC, or any other very common channel that many people would be watching outside of PBS, and I'm not sure how many people watch PBS. The hotel also advertises in a number of places that it has "wireless high speed internet." The only sign that we saw of this, however, was one computer in the lobby with a hand-drawn sign over the monitor reading, "OUT OF ORDER."

We went to bed at about 10:30 that night, and when I woke up in the middle of the night, around 2 a.m., there was a huge amount of noise in the hallway. It sounded to me like there was a television blaring, people yelling and laughing, and just general chaos. I closed my eyes and made it back to sleep only to be woken up by strange noises and flickering of lights at about 3:30. After shaking off sleep as best as I could, I noticed that all of our lights were either extremely dim and flickering or wouldn't turn on at all. As luck would have it, the lights in the bathroom were completely inoperable, making the bathroom just about pitch black. The air conditioner was also going on and off. My partner woke up shortly thereafter and went down to the lobby to ask what was going on. This is the conversation between him and the person at the front desk as accurately as I can portray it:

Him: "Is there some kind of electrical problem in the building?"
Her: "Yep."
Him: "Any idea when it's going to be fixed?"
Her: "Nope."
Him: "So ... what are we supposed to do with no lights?"
Her: "Just go back to your room and wait."

This person was not the only one who treated us rudely. In fact, just about every person that we spoke to was rude and unsympathetic. Not once did anyone apologize or respond with understanding or kindness. It was awful. I strongly hoped that the problem would be fixed overnight, but come morning, we still had no lighting in our room. We had to take showers in a bathroom that was just about completely dark. I showered by the light of a GameBoy screen which my partner held above the curtain for me. The shower itself was problematic too. The water fluctuated between hot and cold so it was uncomfortable to stand under it.

Add to all of this miserable chaos a large hole in our bedsheet, and you've got the Econo Lodge O'Hare, most likely the most awful hotel that I have ever stayed in. Thank goodness it was only for one night! I understand that this is a budget hotel, but a budget hotel doesn't have to be a hole in the wall. I have paid less per night for other budget hotels and been satisfied with them. This place was just awful.

This morning, I am going to try to contact the manager about getting a refund. If that doesn't work, I'm willing to go all the way to the Better Business Bureau about the problem. There's just no excuse for such terrible facilities and customer service, regardless of price.

I sincerely hope that all those reading this review will steer clear of this awful hotel. Please do not support it or its staff. There need to be huge changes made before this hotel would be worth staying in.

I know I'm long-winded. Thank you for reading.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank CarnivalGuardian

Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northlake
Regal Inn Chicago-O'hare Airport Franklin Park
Super 8 Chicago/Rosemont/O'hare/SE
Best Western Plus O'Hare International South Hotel
Candlewood Suites Chicago O'Hare
Hampton Inn Chicago-O'Hare International Airport
Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside

Been to Super 8 Chicago Northlake O'Hare South? Share your experiences!