“No Water”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Frederick, Maryland
“No Water”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I was member of an Insurance group staying at this hotel for 8 days. Our study room was dirty never vacuumed, trash overflowed the trash can. We studied there nightly. I got fed up with this condition, told the front desk about it, then asked if we could receive any water and glasses for our group, which by the way pays hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to stay here, was told by front desk lady ' I'll see what I can do" one hour later nothing, just what we expected,.Went down to the bar got it myself.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your business. Our main priority is for our guests to feel welcome and have comfortable stay. I do however understand from your review that you were not completely satisfied with our properly and I sincerely apologize if we fell short of your expectations. I was especially disappointed that you found our staff. Our main priority is to provide our guests with an attentive and professional service and I apologize that you did not receive the service you deserve.

The cleaning of the meeting rooms is part of your training experience.

I would like to apologize that you were not informed.

Congratulations on your graduation from sales training class.

Please know that your business is incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize if we fell below your expectations. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

Again I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I do hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Mishawaka, IN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

We booked a room with a jacuzzi tub on the executive floor for December 27 as we were visiting the Botanical Gardens nearby. The hotel had about 15-20 occupants per the front desk staff.

We swam in the pool which was bigger than at most Hilton properties. That was nice. After the pool we were going to grab a snack on the way up to our room but discovered that the gift shop was closed until 12/31/13 due to the holidays. That would have been nice to know before we got soaking wet from a dip, as you are far away from any convenience stores. I would think staff would have mentioned it at check in.

Once we got back to our room, we cranked up the heat as it was getting cold. I got my son in the bath in the tub but upon draining it, discovered some scum around the jet openings. I immediately got him in the shower and scrubbed him down. Later I looked up at the fan in the bathroom and it looked liked it hadn't been cleaned in years, it was caked with fuzzy, dirty dust bunnies.

Thankfully there was heavy bedding to keep us warm because the room was not getting as warm as expected. I then cranked the heat up to 80. The thermostat showed 75 but there was no way it was that warm in the room. I fell asleep and woke up around 11pm with a frozen nose and cheeks. I called the front desk and they had security come up to check things out. The heater was only blowing cold air so he suggested we turn the heat off. I told him we would not be staying in a room with no heat. He said I would have to call the front desk about that. The front desk person moved us to a room across the hall after they checked to make sure the heat worked. The room was not even close to what I had paid for. I called the front desk again and she stated she was busy helping another customer and she would check afterwards if there was a similar room available with heat. (I assumed all rooms would have heat). It was another 20 minutes before I received a phone call back to be moved around the corner to a room similar to what I booked. It had a nice view but it was pretty late by then and we were very tired. We finally fell asleep sometime after 1am.

The next morning, we overslept so we did not have the opportunity to eat breakfast there but honestly, I wanted to leave this place far behind. The shower in the new room was very dirty. The accent tile looked like someone had blown their nose on it in several places and the caulking was moldy. It was very obvious.

The staff was never once apologetic for the hassle and made us feel like we were putting them out by asking for a room with working heat similar to what I booked.

I should have just stuck with my reliable standby that we have used the past several years around the holidays with excellent, customer service.... Doubletree Magnificent Mile. It was a comparable price but better accommodations and WAY better customer service. Now I know. It would have been worth the drive back towards downtown. Maybe this staff should be trained by the Doubletree staff.

I'm not sure why this place has a Trip Advisor Award. This has gone to the top of my list for worst places to stay and mostly because of the lack of good customer service, not just the uncleanliness.

As a courtesy to the guest that will stay in your room after you, if you know something is not in working order or disgustingly dirty, PLEASE say something to the staff. This doesn't mean they will take care if it but at least you are attempting courtesy to your fellow travelers and hopefully reducing these types of incidences. Who wants to deal with this when you are on vacation?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay. I understand that we did not provide you the exceptional stay we always wish to provide all our guests. I do thank you for providing a detailed account of your observations. We take all of our guests' feedback very seriously, and appreciate it as a valuable teaching tool. I have shared your comments with my entire team. We rarely receive negative comments, so, when we do, we address any issues immediately with our team to ensure that the same mistakes are not repeated.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the team at the property. We truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us, and we know that you have many places to choose from for your lodging needs. I would appreciate it if you could please give us another opportunity.

Thank you again for sharing your comments, and please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything else that I can do for you.
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Considering this hotel was so close to Chicago, I expected a hefty price tag. To my surprise, they were quite reasonable for the quality. This was one of the nicer (not so old) Hiltons and I felt very comfortable there. The service was also excellent. I will definitely return to this hotel when I'm back in the area. It's also pretty close to O'Hare airport.

Room Tip: As for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to give us such a good review.

I will share you survey with our team at todays staff meeting.

Have a Great Holiday Season!!
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Hotel was clean, staff was helpful and courteous, lounge and restaurant were very good. Attended a conference here. Many things to do close by. Would recommend to others and stay here again when in area.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

bobmsmith, Dir Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for the "Excellent" review. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough discription of your experience at our hotel

Have a Happy Holiday Season!!
Marinette, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Disappointed with the whirlpool. It was quite small--no different than my bathtub at home. Bed was excellent. Great sleep and very quiet (that might be because we were on the executive level. Still, we slept well).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Good morning and thank you for staying with us, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

We look forward to seeing on your next visit to Northbrook.

Happy Holidays!!
Northbrook, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I've been staying at the Northbrook Hilton now for over 6 years now, usually 5 times a year. It's a great hotel for business travel, as it has all the amenities needed in the room and elsewhere in the hotel, plus most importantly it's (in general) very quiet. Great for getting rest. It's not the fanciest or newest of places, but it has everything I need, and I would guess most business travelers would need.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Good morning and thank you for staying with us, we appreciate you taking the time to write such a good review our hotel and services.

Our staff take great pride in servicing our customers and we value your Loyalty..

Have a great day and thanks again for the "Excellent" review..
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

You are treated like family here...service, amenities and dining are first class!! Stay here every time I am in town. Great beds, rooms are great, large flat screens with all channels. Food is amazing!! Don't miss breakfast buffet!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Good afternoon and thank you for the "Excellent" review. I appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough discription of your experience at our hotel

Have a Wonderful Holiday Season!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel
Courtyard Chicago Glenview/Northbrook
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prospect Heights
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#1 of 2 in Prospect Heights

Been to Hilton Northbrook? Share your experiences!