New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton Northbrook

Hilton Northbrook
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
USA
“Nice north suburban hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed in one of the executive level rooms. The room had nice furnishings and a beautiful bathroom. Not sure if the standard rooms are as nice, but I can only comment on this one -- it was large and nicely furnished.

The hotel has a nice ambiance and is in a relaxing setting.

Some other reviews comment on the location - it should be noted this is a suburban location so if you're going to downtown Chicago why on earth would you book here?

We'd be glad to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for staying with us, I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel. We apppreciate you taking the time to give the Hotel such a good review.

I noticed your comment about our proximity to Chicago getting down town is alot more convenient than one would think. The Metra line is just mins from the Hotel and there is plenty of parking. A weekend pass is just $6.00 and the ride to Chicago is only 35 -40 mins the train stops Union station that is located accross the street from Willis Tower this is great location to start touring the city. (The trains are double deckers so the kids will be occupied during the trip)

Another good Travel Tip is the Chicago Water Taxi a day pass is just $6.00 and is a great way to see the City. There are 4 stops Michigan ave, Gate way Park next to Navy Pier, Union Station across the river from Willis Tower and China Town. $6.00 all day and your on a Boat..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Hyde Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

It was all that it said it was as advertised on the website. For us it was the perfect getaway, and the fact that we were on the 10th floor, an executive key entry floor, was perfect for us. We were treated to use of the executive lounge for hors d'oeuvres and drinks, which was a very nice way to be greeted before we went to our room. The hostess was excellent and got us everything we needed. The room was comfortable, however there was no safe in the room, that was an issue for us. The whirlpool tub was only suitable for one. The shower was great....lots of room and the bathroom was spacious! Overall it is a great hotel with very few exceptions. The staff was incredibly helpful in getting us to where we needed to be. They have a shuttle service that will bring you to the train station and it was a nice ride into the city. We would definitely go there again if we returned to the area. This hotel seemed to have ALL that we were looking for in a getaway, spa, sauna, pool, workout room. The only complaints were that the card did not work a few times to give us access to our floor, there was a dog barking incessantly in the next room (although being a dog owner, it didn't bother me), and the heater didn't work all that well. We did not notice those things because the staff made it so nice for us, and we were too busy to dwell on the problems. The food at the restaurant was excellent, as was room service. I highly recommend the Hilton Northbrook for couples.

Room Tip: The executive key entry floor was private and had a great executive lounge that served drinks and ho...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Good morning and thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your business and you taking the time to review our hotel and services.

I will recognize the team members you interacted with at our weekly staff meeting.

Chiacgo Travel Tip:
A good way to travel while in Chicago is the Chicago Water Taxi a day pass is just $6.00 and is a great way to see the City. There are 4 stops Michigan ave, Gate way Park next to Navy Pier, Union Station across the river from Willis Tower and China Town. $6.00 all day and your on a Boat..
Taylorville, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My room was very clean and bed was comfortable. Room service was timely and food was good. My only issue was a shower that didn't come on above a trickle. Ice on every other floor was not the most convenient, but not a big issue for me. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again if I needed to be in this area. It is a long way from downtown, but is convenient for O'Hare.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I am however very sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. I sincerely apologize if you were disappointed in regards to the water pressure in you bathroom. I thank you for bringing this issue to my attention so that I can personally follow-up with our maintenance staff. We strive on providing our guests with an exceptional stay and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that this issue be resolved. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guests experience and I will keep your review in mind. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great hotel and rooms. The surroundings are really pacefull, the breakfast is tremendous and the services are 5*.

Highly recommended if you are making business near the hotel since Chicago downtown is pretty far.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for staying with us, we appreciate you taking the time to give the hotel such a good review..

We have many improvements through out the past year we are glad to see the positive effect it has on our Guests.

The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The seeting of the room was quite strange: a tiny bathroom with nothing to hang towels, so small that it was difficult to go to the shower.
The shower had stains on the wall.
Internet access was quite slow
Staff at the desk was helpful, but the cleaning lady forgot to put new cups in the room and tea bags.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hippolinae
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Hello,
Good morning and thank you for staying with us, I would like to sincerly apologize for the inconveniences you encountered.

I reviewed your comments and wanted to let you know that there are towel hooks on the back side of the bathroom doors.

The Internet can be quickly accessed by skipping the left side of the payment option and go to the bottom right side of the page click on payment option..

This will enable you to access the Internet within 30 seconds.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nice hotel, stayed on the Hilton Honors premier member floor, which provided complimentary in room wi-fi, but slowed considerably at the end of the day. Room was well appointed with a separate walled off area for the sink apart from the toilet and bathtub. This area offered a microwave and mini fridge. Though a decent room, it was not a substitute for an extended stay, such as my case of 9 nights. The bed was comfortable, the room quiet being on the 9th floor.

The front desk was always helpful, quick to arrange transport to local places and centres of transportation if within a five mile radius, handy to go visit area restaurants and not have to rely on expensive delivery. If you are without a car, the Holiday Inn across the car park offers a pub and food service such as pizza, buffalo chicken wings and the like.

Frank's Place became a regular stopping place, after a long day's work..and especially if time was short before evening in-hotel meetings. I would recommend their appetizers such as the sliders, soups or pulled pork sandwich if you a looking for lighter evening fare. I subscribed to the full breakfast buffet each morning, and this proved to be delicious, satisfying and with plenty of hot breakfast choices. Service was prompt and friendly. Alluger's Restaurant also offers various dinner specials throughout the week and weekend lunch buffets. The later was a tad expensive.

Meeting spaces utilized are typical of any Hilton, as were break services. The pool was just renovated along with a small jacuzzi and uses salt water treatment rather than chlorine. Though I did not use, the fitness centre overlooks the pool area.

All in all, a good hotel, well situated to where I needed to be and a good value, clean, quiet, good food and service with a positive attitude!

Room Tip: Higher rooms away from Milwaukee Boulevard and the lifts.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hello,
Good afternoon and thank you for always choosing our Hotel..

We appreciate you taking the time to give the hotel and services such a good review..

I will share your review with our Team at this weeks staff meeting..

Metro NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have stayed at this property 3 or 4 times and it will be my first choice when I go back to Chicagoland. Here are my top 3 reasons:

3) Excellent rooms. While the bathrooms are tight (with the sink outside the actual toilet/shower facility; I personally don't like being on a carpeted area when I dry my hair or brush my teeth), the rooms are very spacious and well appointed: fridge, great Lavazza coffee pods, cozy robes, iron/ironing board, a really decent 1875 watt hair dryer (not one of those cheap and noisy wall units that take three times the amount of time to actually dry your mane), huge flat screen TV, nice spacious desk, armchair, very comfortable bed, and always immaculate upon arrival.

2) Good hotel amenities. A very good (for a hotel) fitness room with pretty new treadmills and other equipment, and a very very nice swimming pool area with a sauna, etc.; good and spacious bar and decent restaurant. Very good business center with good copiers/printers etc. and several 'workstations." Unlike my experiences at other hotels, I have never had the pressure of another guest breathing down my neck to get on a computer or copier here.

1) The STAFF. Very friendly and accommodating, but also savvy enough to go the extra mile. I made a passing complaint to a manager about early morning staff noise and food smells having disturbed my stay along with minor trouble I;d had with Internet access (these were minor annoyances, not disastrous inconveniences); not only did I get solutions to my problems, but the manager sent a personal note of apology along with a bottle of wine and a cheese platter to my room that evening. WOW. THAT impressed me and erased any negative impressions I may have formed that day. Send that manager to teach a seminar for hoteliers on customer service and building loyalty, because, for the cost of one bottle of wine and a few slices of cheese and crackers, he just sealed his grip on the holy grail of any business: customer loyalty.

The only reason I don't give this hotel 5 stars is the quality of the food: it's tasty but a little bit Costco... high on sodium and mass-produced.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bobmsmith, Director Room Divsion at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give us such a thorough review

Gary Sutton was the Front Office Manager that assisted you

He is one of our Top Performer's and his efforts obviously have not gone un- noticed

I will make sure to recognize him at this weeks staff meeting

Have a Great 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Glenview/Northbrook
BEST WESTERN PLUS Glenview-Chicagoland Inn & Suites

Been to Hilton Northbrook? Share your experiences!