“A great location with attentive staff”

Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Reviewed October 25, 2009

A number of family members stayed here while attending a wedding and family reunion. The events took place in Evanston, Skokie, and Glencoe, so this was a very convenient location with easy access to major highways. The rooms were very nice and clean. The Service was very prompt and staff members were helpful with directions and suggesting transportation and shopping options. I discovered a problem with my bill after I returned home and it was immediately remedied upon phoning the hotel. The thing I liked best was the quiet neighborhood and having a room on an upper floor away from traffic noise. The only downside is that there aren't any other restaurants or places to shop in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
renchicagons, Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2009

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on our guest service and are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Chicago's North Shore.

Ed Buckley

Reviewed August 17, 2009

I stay here twice a year when visiting family in Highland Park. I've tried all the Highland Park and Deerfield hotels including the Hyatt, but this one's so much nicer. Spacious rooms, comfy beds, very clean bathrooms, choice of down pillows if you want them.
Nice sheets and towels. The indoor pool is nice and warm and inviting.

The cafe has good food (never tried dinner, but breakfast and lunch are good).

Only had a problem one time where they overbooked the hotel and didn't have a room for me when I arrived late at night. Even though I had prepaid on my credit card AND I'm a Marriott rewards customer. They made me drive about 5 miles up to a Courtyard.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2009

A friend and I stayed here with our giant breed dogs (Great Dane and St Bernard) and had a very positive experience. The rooms were very clean and the staff very friendly. We had no issues with the size of our dogs like at some hotels (except for being chased down by other guests to see the dogs). The only issue I had was I could not get the wi-fi to work. I highly recomend this hotel if traveling with pets.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We had a family reunion nearby and I stayed here with my children, as did my sister. All of us had good things to say about the hotel. The staff was very friendly and competent, and quickly moved me when I needed a room with two beds. They had a computer for guests that was dedicated to printing boarding passes, for free. The rooms were clean and quiet. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank davidcalifornia
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Stayed here because of location and great rate. Mixed review. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. But, there was something....
Partly because they are obviously trying to cut costs: only 1 small bar of soap in room, conceirge floor with only wine and beer and they serve/charge them by the drink. two small towels. Took Platinum "gift" of bottle of wine and they brought only one glass (knew my wife ws in room with me)
Needs rehaul badly.
But room clean and staff friendly. Apparently lots of meetings.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank john h
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I recently stayed at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore hotel with about 20 members of my familiy.

I'll start with the positive aspects of our stay - the rooms were clean and the rate was reasonable.

However, there were some major issues during our stay. The elevators going to the , 8th, 9th and 10th (Marriott Club) floors broke. We were told to take the other elevators to the 7th floor and use the emergency stairs. With two elevators down and a hotel at capacity it took a long time just to get an elevator. Once we did and located the stairs we got locked inside. We had specifically asked if this would happen and were instructed by a hotel employee that the doors would be unlocked. They weren't! Luckily we had a cell phone to call a family member to let us out!

My mother's room had BROWN WATER! They had to send up a maintainace person to fix it and he claimed that they forgot to turn the pumps on - how do you forget some thing that important?! It took so long to fix that she was unable to shower before our event.

Other rooms had wasps in them. Because the hotel was full they had to come fumigate the room but our family still had to stay there.

The staff seemed overwhelmed and there weren't enough of them to handle all the groups staying there. There were so many groups (many of them teenagers) that the lobby was SO noisy and almost like a zoo.

The drinks at the bar were overpriced. $13.50 for a cocktail? That's crazy!

Overall the value for the hotel was good but not worth all the issues we had.

• Stayed: April 2009
3  Thank chapetx
Reviewed September 1, 2008

The hotel is very nice. The front desk is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are appointed with nice quality furniture. Plenty of drawer space and hangers in the closet. The bathroom is not huge, but very adequate. The beds are very comfortable and the rollaways they use also comfortable. They have internet, but do charge for it. The cooling system does cycle off and on fairly loudly, I used earplugs and it was fine. They have a small pool and hottub which the kids used. The restaurant was nice for breakfast, not to expensive. Only complaint was housekeeping forgot to give us bathtowels and I had to make 3 calls over a few hours to recieve them so we could shower. Otherwise I would give the hotel a 5 star. It really is very nice.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank PlanetR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Near North Side
The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago
#3 of 192 in Chicago

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!