“Fabulous stay!”

Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just spent the weekend at this hotel for a family event. The rates were great, there were many events going on at the same time,but you never felt as if it was 'crowded'. The lobby is beautiful, decorated in purple and silver. Many areas where you can relax and sit with family, friends or alone. Long tables to sit at with outlets for computers, phones, etc. The staff couldnt have been nicer. They also have a shuttle service that was very helpful!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear twinzmomie,
Thank you for the kind words regarding your recent stay with us. You were indeed here over a very busy weekend, and I was happy to hear that everything went well. I hope to welcome you back when you next return to the North Shore!

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed over the Labor Day weekend. Apparently a popular place for parties, the décor in the lobby/bar is pretty modern in contrast to the rest of the hotel which is older/conservative, but pretty well maintained. Don't know if it's because of the holiday weekend, but definitely had a lively atmosphere when we were there.

We stayed in an Executive Queen room, so it had a queen bed in a "nook" with nightstands/dresser/TV, while the main room had a sofa bed and more dressers/desk/TV...and a refrigerator. We also had a rollaway as well. The room was good sized (as were the dressers), and the set-up worked very well for sleeping 4 people without having to cram into 2 double beds. Queen bed was comfy, and the kids didn't complain about the sofa bed or rollaway. Bathroom was tight, but had modern fixtures (good shower) and good towels.

Our room included access to the Exec Lounge/Concierge Room on the top floor, with breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres during the week. Also had coffee/soft drinks/juice/snacks during non-meal times, and computer/internet access. Never saw the hors d'oeuvres, but breakfast was good, including fresh fruit, a couple hot items, rolls/Danish...all similar to what they serve at the restaurant buffet, though not as extensive. It was MUCH better quality than the "free breakfast" at, say, a Hampton Inn...but you're paying for it with the Executive room.

The front desk staff--Ivan and Will, in particular--were terrific. They greeted us when we arrived, and were friendly and courteous, even calling me by name during our stay. They were working the whole weekend we were there--lucky for me, as I had some "car trouble" that they both really went out of their way to help me out with. Ivan (the Director) even allowed me to park in the hotel entrance turnaround for the night, as the "weather integrity" of my car's roof was...suspect.

Location was...in the northern suburbs...so it's a haul to get into the city. But they also had a complimentary shuttle (I believe the driver was Oscar--nice guy) that can take you/pick up at either of the 2 close commuter train stations--just make sure you know which one you leave from so you can come back to that one on your return.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and I thought the hotel was a terrific value. And again--kudos to Ivan and Will. If those 2 are working when you're there, you'll be in good hands.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Pernasus,
Thank you so much for writing such a thorough review of your recent stay! I'm glad to hear that the arrangements we made prior to your arrival worked out for your family. I've shared your comments with Will and Ivan and they hope the roof repairs went well for you!
If your future travels bring you back to the North Shore I trust you will call on us again, maybe we'll actually get a chance to meet this time...!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this Renaissance Hotel, both times for 2 nights during the week. Both times the rooms were very clean, great restaurant (plus a Ruths Chris on site), and especially courteous and very helpful staff. Lobby bar had live entertainer each night that was great! Really enjoyed sitting the bar area. Breakfast buffet was pretty good (although I have had better offerings at other Renaissance Hotels like Smoked Salmon, etc.) but it certainly was nice. Rooms very clean and updated. Certainly will stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Jobo59,
Thank you! I especially appreciate that this is the 2nd time you have chosen to stay with us, and that we continue to earn your future business! We try to provide an alternative to many suburban hotels by offering live music and great dining options, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed both...
Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is your typical large chain hotel trying to masquerade as a hip, trendy boutique hotel, which, of course, it could never be. Housed in an ugly building which appears to have been constructed in the 70's, the public spaces (reception, restaurant, lobby) are done up in a designer glam style with purples as the dominant color scheme. The rooms are quite a bit more boring, although they seem to have been recently refreshed with a smidgen of style. The most striking feature of the room and the bathroom is the VERY low ceiling.

We got the deal with the breakfast buffet for only a few dollars more for the whole family (2 adults, 2 children) and were glad we did. It was definitely well above average for a hotel breakfast buffet, with a good variety of hot items, such as eggs benedict, breakfast burritos, cheese blintzes, pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, plus cold items such as yogurt, lots of fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, and breads. Coffee, juices, and milk were also included. All of this adds good value to the very reasonable room rate.

We stayed on a weekend in July where many events were going on in the Chicago area, so all of the other comparable hotels I looked into were either booked or had rates twice as high as this one. Several groups were staying here, which probably happens often. Our room, however, did not get a lot of outside noise. Service was competent, but not overly impressive.

All in all, a good value for this area when you factor in the breakfast and the free parking; just don't expect more than your typical large chain hotel making an attempt at having some personality.

Room Tip: No particularly nice view on any side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear born2travel555,
While I'm not convinced the exterior of a building plays any part in a guest's experience regarding the service they receive or the quality of the amenities provided, I do appreciate the thorough review of your recent stay. I was pleased to note that our restaurant, location and parking were recognized as a good value and I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great bar area. Great breakfast. Great nearby restaurants covering family chain to top end famous steak restaurant. Conference facilities were also adequate. I even got the hotel shuttle to the train station and caught the train to Central Chicago.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear pmcc1968,
I was very happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future...
Regards,

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Live in the city but went to a concert at Ravinia and didn't want the hassel of driving back and forth so we booked a room here for the night. The front desk staff was extremely professional while checking us in. They have a shuttle bus that takes you to and from Ravinia. The driver was awesome. We visited the bar in the lobby and the bartender was so friendly and accomodating. The room we reserved was a upgraded corner room - I def suggest this room. It's got a lot of extra space and the little dining table was appreciated when we ordered room service for breakfast. In room dining was very flexible when we called to reschedule our breakfast delivery time an hour early. Late checkout wasn't an issue at all. Overall, very satisfied with our experience. The only reason I couldn't give it 5 stars all the way across the board was our hallway always had trash in it. But that isn't a big enough reason for us not to return. We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Lisa H,
You have joined many other Chicagoans in discovering how much easier it is to stay with us and attend the great Ravinia concerts! It sure beats driving home late at night...
Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding our service and facilities, I will be sure to share your thoughts with all of our team members!
Best regards,

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband enjoyed our 1 night stay on 8.10. We were in the area to attend a concert at Ravinia Park and this hotel was a great choice. Very clean and our room was quiet and comfortable. We enjoyed having drinks at the bar. We found all of the staff very friendly and helpful. I would recommend to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Christine F,
Thank you for your nice comments! I wish you would have been able to stay a little longer than one night, and hope you return for many more Ravinia concerts in the future!
Rik Blyth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Downtown / The Loop
Near North Side
The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago
#2 of 191 in Chicago

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!