“Elegance at a Great Price”

Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Elegance at a Great Price”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel is not great looking from the outside, but when you step in the lobby sophistication and elegance are very evident. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The beds are plush and comfortable, and having both a refrigerator and safe in the room provide a lot of convenience. The bathroom had been redone and looked nice and was also functional. The only drawback was some mildew around the tile in the shower. The hotel is located right off the expressway, so the location is ideal and the price was extremely reasonable. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iris G
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Iris G,
"All of the staff were very friendly and helpful"! That's all I needed to read! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your comments, I will be sure to post this review for all our team members to see, and I do hope to welcome you back again soon...
P.S. On your return, you'll see our new exterior signage and front entry landscaping which is the final stage of our recent renovations!
Rik Blyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I like Renaissance Hotels, as they are always a great stay. Beds are great, desk was easy to work at and there was a live singer in the bar/lounge area. The food in the bar was good, and there is a Ruth's Chris on site also.

This is a great business hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mark S,
Thanks for the great comments! Fantastic to hear that you enjoyed our "RLife Live" entertainment in the lobby lounge, we're now featuring live music 2 or 3 nights per week, so hope you return!
Best regards,
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Beds were comfortable. Room was quiet and I did not hear my neighbors, which is my biggest complaint in a hotel stay. Linens were nice. Staff at front desk very friendly. I would stay here again without hesitation. Lives up the Marriott standards in all ways! There was a restaurant across the street, but didn't see shopping to close by.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear bobkatevan,
Thank you for the very positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to see that our facilities and staff were all to your liking. By the way, there is a great mall, Northbrook Court, only a mile and a half away, with fantastic shopping!
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I would rank the hotel as a good business hotel, and overall the staff make a real effort to make your stay pleasant. The breakfast staff were really good and went out of their way, and the breakfast itself is good. Quite unusual that in the bar in the lobby they have live music every night, but I think it works very well, and again the staff here are very helpful. Unfortunately, when I checked in I had a bit of a nightmare...I attempted to check in 30 minutes early (3.30pm) and was told my room was not ready...but then had to wait until 4.30pm, despite the room having been empty at 3.30pm. This was made even more frustrating in that when I entered the room I wouldnt rate it as the cleanest I have seen...but the daily cleaning was good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Reluctant_business,
I appreciate your feedback regarding what works for you as a business traveler and what frustrates you. Although I was happpy to hear our breakfast and our evening bar scene are appreciated, the wait for a room and uneven cleaning are concerning. I've followed up with those departments to make them aware of the issues you faced.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and I hope you will return again soon.
Regards,
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed two nights and found the hotel had some rough edges and some nice touches. The room itself was good, though on the smallish end for a high-tier hotel. Beds were quite comfortable, good linnens, nice updated look. Bathroom was very small, with two getting ready for graduation events, it was tight. Front desk staff was upbeat and friendly on checkin and checkout.
Where we had some issues was with some staff: phones sometimes took 15 or even 20 rings to be answered both before arrival and during our stay. We called three times over the course of an hour just to get light blankets for our room, not getting to sleep till after 12:30am as we waited and waited. Down comforters are plush and nice, but too warm for this half of the year. I got comped some rewards points for our trouble when the checkout person asked 'what could have been better about our stay?' (nice touch to ask that).
Breakfast buffet on Sunday was excellent and well priced for quality. We were surprised that the buffet closed at 8:30 weekdays, that seems early. We ordered a la carte and the food was mostly quite good but the wheat toast had mold on it. The waitress was horrified, apologized and whisked away the toast and replaced it quickly, so it was handled well.
Another nice touch was that maintenance needed to do something in our room (not sure what) and left a note and two chocolate wrenches to apologize.
Overall this is a hotel that is updated, hip and stylish, seems to have a solid customer service approach but some folks missed the mark.

Room Tip: High floors seem quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Snowman00,
Thank you for taking the time to share some of the details of your recent stay with us. The weekend you were here was a particularly busy few days and I am afraid we were staffed a little too lightly for that demand. Please accept my apologies.
I was very pleased to see that one of our receptionists empathized with what you experienced and arranged for some Marriott Rewards points to be credited to your account. I can't promise perfection, but we do try, and in your case succeed, to make amends when we stumble a bit.
Thank you again and I do hope you return in the future.
Grosse Pointe Park
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here late April 2013 w/ a large middle school group. We arrived very late at night w/ an exhilarated but very tired group of kids and the hotel staff was perfectly organized. The genders were separated (by floor area), the hotel coordinated on-floor security, and the keys were ready in envelopes marked w/ the occupants' names of each room. Keys were handed out on arrival and everyone was in bed within 15 minutes. Check in could not have been more seamless which is exactly what needed. Add to that the staff was very professional and helpful, the rooms were spotlessly clean, and the group breakfast the next morning was very good. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear grossepointebeachbum,
Thank you so much for letting me know that all the arrangements for your tour group went so well. We are fortunate to have a fairly large number of educational and sports groups stay with us, and I agree that it is very important to have the arrival be extremely organized. Especially when it is late at night like yours was.
I have shared your comments, and my appreciation, with all of the staff who helped coordinate the arrival, the guest rooms and your meal the next morning.
I hope we have the honor of hosting you again with next year's class!
Best regards,
Springfield, MO
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Almost 7 years (June 2006) ago my husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon for almost a week. We were struck by the modern and interesting decor and the quality of the staff. I had contracted mono the week of my wedding and by the time we got to Chicago I had a fever over 100 and was nearly delirious. Needless to say we spent almost the entirety of the honeymoon in the hotel and not sightseeing in Chicago as planned. But it was such a great hotel. The staff was so nice. They gave us directions to hospitals and even sent us up Haagen Daas ice cream which I particularly enjoyed considering how sore my throat was. I really wish I had been more alert and feeling myself so I could have enjoyed it more, but considering the circumstances it was the best place to be that week. My husband and I hope to plan another "honeymoon" to Chicago to make up for the first disappointing one and if we do we will definitely be returning to the Renaissance North Shore Hotel. If not for this place our honeymoon would've been very sad indeed. Thank you guys! You were great!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cherrygarcia5,
Thanks for the memories! It's not often we get a review from such a long ago stay, but I assure you that we would give you the same great service today! I'd love to help you have a more pleasant "2nd Honeymoon" if you ever plan another trip to Chicago. Feel free to reach out and let me know if you are heading this way!
Thanks again,
Rik Blyth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
#1 of 4 in Northbrook
Near North Side
The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago
#2 of 188 in Chicago
5.0 of 5 bubbles 2,246 reviews

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!