“Amazing service”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Kitchener, Canada
“Amazing service”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel was staffed with a multitude of wonderful staff. They went far beyond the call of duty and for that I am writing a wonderful review. I have never reviewed a hotel before, because there has never been one that I have found worthy of scoring, but my recent visit to the Chicago North Shore was extra-ordinary and deems a star studded review. You will not be displeased by the service here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Jules H,
Thank you for your very positive review and especially for recognizing the great staff here at the North Shore! I hope we have the priviledge of welcoming you back many times in the future...
Rik Blyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I booked this room using Priceline, and got a great $55/night (plus taxes and fees) rate for Friday through Sunday (11/23 - 11/25) of Thanksgiving weekend. We arrived and noticed the renovated lobby. Very nice. I hadn’t been to this hotel since 1993 when it was a Sheraton. Although the outside is dated, the interior (except for the elevators) is definitely upgraded.

We were placed in a north tower room right by the elevators. Note: I’m OK with a “not great” room location when using a discount travel site like Priceline or Hotwire. The room itself was clean and nice – new furnishings, large bathroom. We were in desperate need of a nap upon arrival, so we went right to sleep.

About 10 minutes later, we heard a lot of yelling and screaming in the hallway. The doors are definitely not soundproof at all. I opened the door three times in 10 minutes, and asked the “tweens” and their parents (part of a larger group staying on the floor) if they could halt their hallway conversations and gymnastics. No response.

After my third try, I went down to the lobby, shared the issue with the gentleman at the front desk (the same guy who had checked us in about 30-45 minutes earlier), and asked to be given a new room. He was very helpful and accommodating. Though he did say that the staff had received numerous complaints about the group on my floor, and that they were about to ask the group to leave the hotel.

My reaction: If you’ve received numerous complaints about that group, why did you place me in a room on their floor?

The gentleman assigned us a room in the south tower. The room was very clean, had similar (new) furnishings, but the bathroom was tiny. I think the south tower is slightly older than the north tower. Like the first room, the door to the room was not very soundproof. And although it was much quieter in the new room, we still heard room doors slam in the hallway.

Aside from the room situation, the hotel was nice. The bed was, perhaps, the most comfortable hotel bed I’ve ever slept on. Water pressure in the shower was fine.

Upon checkout, the woman at the front desk was not very gracious. I handed her the key cards and she didn’t respond with a “thank you” or anything. I figured she would ask us about our stay, but no.

I'd stay here again if the rate was good, but I'm not going to go out of my way to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the north tower may have larger bathrooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear LJFreed,
Thank you for your review and your candid comments. I appreciate the compliments, as well as the constructive criticism you shared.
It sounds as if we did a poor job of managing the actions of some rambunctious high school sports teams staying with us... I apologize for that. We do try to separate this type of group whenever possible, regretfully, we were within a few rooms of being sold out on Thanksgiving weekend and had to use rooms on every floor.
I would like the opportunity to make this up to you and would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me directly if you are planning a trip back to this area in the future.
St Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Recently stayed at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel when everything downtown was booked for big convention. Was pleasantly surprised by the location and easy access to the interstate and a quick trip to Chicago.
Beds were very comfy and the room was a good value for Chicago (based on what we have paid for prior visits to area).

The breakfast buffet was small but very good and all the food was kept warm with covered serving dishes. We also ordered breakfast off the menu one morning and it was one of the best breakfasts we had while on the road. I enjoyed the Farmers Market omelet and it was very good and the hash browns were perfect! The service in the Restaurant was top notch on both mornings!

My only complaint about this hotel was that we did not have an ice bucket or coffee maker in our room. I'm sure the ice bucket was just an oversight since we did have an ice machine on our floor so we filled up our cups individually and forget to ask about the bucket. The hotel was very clean and everyone working there was very pleasant and their customer service was excellent!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Condohotelfan,
Downtown's loss was our gain! Thank you for your positive review and especially for your specific comments about our breakfast services. I have passed on your compliments to our kitchen staff with my thanks.
I should point out that I believe you may have missed the location of our ice bucket and coffee maker. Both of these are kept behind a cabinet door in the dresser, on a shelf above the mini-refrigerator. There should have been a small tag on the door knob stating "Coffee Maker Inside". Perhaps this was missing and not replaced by our housekeeper.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review...
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We often travel to Evanston, IL to visit our daughter that attends Northwestern University. There are not many hotels in Evanston proper, so they are usually quite expensive. This Renaissance is about a 20 minute drive from Evanston, but is often a good value. The hotel has been completely remodeled and is very nice, clean and modern. The public areas are new and trendy, the rooms have very comfortable beds are are spacious and clean. An added bonus is free parking. The concierge lounge is nice, however we are usually staying on a weekend when it is closed. It's a nice hotel if the location works for you.

Dear FarawayMN,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your visit to the Renaissance North Shore! I was quite pleased to see that you enjoyed the results of our recent renovation, hopefully you had a chance to experience our nightly live music in the R Lounge as well...
Our proximity to Evanston allows us to host many guests who have Northwestern ties. I can only hope that your daughter is a freshman, so that we may count on seeing you for several years!
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I found the front desk staff to be friendly and very knowledgeable of the hotel ammenities and surrounding sights new the hotel.
The shuttle service was excellent. The drivers were very acommodating and friendly. If you get one of these shuttle drivers, they will tell you the best locations to go for shopping and dining. They are Tony, Oscar and Reno.

Room Tip: •"Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Betty47-12,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us recently!
Your mention of our great shuttle drivers will be passed on to each of them with my thanks. You are correct, all three are true ambassadors for Renaissance and they also know all the local restaurants and other hidden gems in the area!
I hope you return again soon...
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had the occasion to stay a few days at this property while on college visits with our daughter. The hotel has been recently updated, so I did not perceive the outdated appearance mentioned in the other reviews. The staff was excellent and could not have been nicer. The property was clean and well maintained. The only real negative that I would call out is the elevators. We were on the concierge floor and only one elevator was operating that stopped on this level, so there was a fair amount of waiting around. The car that was operating was noisy and slow. Hopefully this update will be next. Overall it was a very good stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Sean M,
Thank you, it was a pleasure reading your review and hearing that you feel our staff was excellent and our facility clean and well maintained. Focusing on the basics and taking care of our guests is what it is all about!
We are indeed in the midst of a total retrofit of each of our elevators. As you mentioned, one of the 2 elevators servicing the Club Lounge is currently out of service, and should be returning this week. Then the next one goes out for a couple of weeks. If your daughter chooses a nearby college, you will see dramatic improvements to these during your next stay with us.
Thank you again for your kind comments.
Best regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The property is old and outdated. Low ceilings, small bathrooms, poor functioning elevators, etc. The rooms are tiny and not very comfortable. I only stay here because it's close to where family lives, but I wish I had more, better choices. Also, upon checking in, there was a letter from management laying on the front desk counter made out to the guests apologizing for a bug issue. Not a pleasant thing to read upon check in. Outside my room it was loud and no one from the hotel did anything to quiet the noise. Also, in the lobby there was a singer who was so loud it was hard to relax and hear anything. It didn't help the wait staff couldn't speak English. I cannot recommend this hotel. However, the mushroom soup was fantastic.

Dear Andrew_STL_1,
Thank you for alerting me to the fact that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent visit.
Although I apologize that you were disappointed, I must say that I was surprised by the tone of your comments... it sounds as if you have stayed here previously, so I would hope you noticed the improvements from our $9 million dollar renovation completed earlier this year. Judging by many previous comments, the majority of our guests love the new look.
The elevators you commented on are currently being totally retrofitted, one at a time, and there is signage posted on them that states this clearly. Also, to clarify your remark about "bugs", the letter I wrote to our guests explains that these are Box Elder Beetles, totally harmless, and that a few have been found inside the hotel. Possibly due to the Chicago Botanic Gardens right across the road from us, this entire area has seen a dramatic increase in these beetles, which will continue until the first frost.
Another puzzler is your remark about restaurant or bar wait staff not speaking English? Although we are fortunate to have several staff members who are not originally from the US, I cannot think of one single wait person in our restaurant who is not able to converse in English. I speak with them on a daily basis, entertain clients there and have never had any issue whatsoever.
If you should choose to stay with us again, please contact me before arrival and I will see if we can change your opinion of us.
Regards,
Rik Blyth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Downtown / The Loop
Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
#22 of 190 in Chicago

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!