Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Sheraton.com
Hilton Northbrook(Northbrook)(Great Value!)
$118
Hilton.com
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook(Northbrook)(Great Value!)
$90
$186
$161
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsruth's chris steakhousenorth shorefront desk staffpancettathe concierge loungebotanical gardensfree parkingnice hotelnorthwestern universitysmall bathroomon premiseslobby areabreakfast buffetnight's sleepfamily eventmini fridgeshuttle service
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I found the front desk staff to be friendly and very knowledgeable of the hotel ammenities and surrounding sights new the hotel.
The shuttle service was excellent. The drivers were very acommodating and friendly. If you get one of these shuttle drivers, they will tell you the best locations to go for shopping and dining. They are Tony, Oscar and Reno.

Room Tip: •"Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Betty47-12,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us recently!
Your mention of our great shuttle drivers will be passed on to each of them with my thanks. You are correct, all three are true ambassadors for Renaissance and they also know all the local restaurants and other hidden gems in the area!
I hope you return again soon...
All my best,

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had the occasion to stay a few days at this property while on college visits with our daughter. The hotel has been recently updated, so I did not perceive the outdated appearance mentioned in the other reviews. The staff was excellent and could not have been nicer. The property was clean and well maintained. The only real negative that I would call out is the elevators. We were on the concierge floor and only one elevator was operating that stopped on this level, so there was a fair amount of waiting around. The car that was operating was noisy and slow. Hopefully this update will be next. Overall it was a very good stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Sean M,
Thank you, it was a pleasure reading your review and hearing that you feel our staff was excellent and our facility clean and well maintained. Focusing on the basics and taking care of our guests is what it is all about!
We are indeed in the midst of a total retrofit of each of our elevators. As you mentioned, one of the 2 elevators servicing the Club Lounge is currently out of service, and should be returning this week. Then the next one goes out for a couple of weeks. If your daughter chooses a nearby college, you will see dramatic improvements to these during your next stay with us.
Thank you again for your kind comments.
Best regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The property is old and outdated. Low ceilings, small bathrooms, poor functioning elevators, etc. The rooms are tiny and not very comfortable. I only stay here because it's close to where family lives, but I wish I had more, better choices. Also, upon checking in, there was a letter from management laying on the front desk counter made out to the guests apologizing for a bug issue. Not a pleasant thing to read upon check in. Outside my room it was loud and no one from the hotel did anything to quiet the noise. Also, in the lobby there was a singer who was so loud it was hard to relax and hear anything. It didn't help the wait staff couldn't speak English. I cannot recommend this hotel. However, the mushroom soup was fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Andrew_STL_1,
Thank you for alerting me to the fact that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent visit.
Although I apologize that you were disappointed, I must say that I was surprised by the tone of your comments... it sounds as if you have stayed here previously, so I would hope you noticed the improvements from our $9 million dollar renovation completed earlier this year. Judging by many previous comments, the majority of our guests love the new look.
The elevators you commented on are currently being totally retrofitted, one at a time, and there is signage posted on them that states this clearly. Also, to clarify your remark about "bugs", the letter I wrote to our guests explains that these are Box Elder Beetles, totally harmless, and that a few have been found inside the hotel. Possibly due to the Chicago Botanic Gardens right across the road from us, this entire area has seen a dramatic increase in these beetles, which will continue until the first frost.
Another puzzler is your remark about restaurant or bar wait staff not speaking English? Although we are fortunate to have several staff members who are not originally from the US, I cannot think of one single wait person in our restaurant who is not able to converse in English. I speak with them on a daily basis, entertain clients there and have never had any issue whatsoever.
If you should choose to stay with us again, please contact me before arrival and I will see if we can change your opinion of us.
Regards,

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a very good value. It's a little aged which shows in the loud small elevators and small rooms, especially the bathrooms. The rooms have been updated and have more modern furniture and tv's. The bathroom was very clean. They lobby has been given some nice updates. The pool and fitness area are small and are a nice perk. You will certainly find nicer hotels with larger rooms than this one, the price will be hard to beat. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear MemoryCamera,
Thank you for your time in reviewing your stay with us, I was happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit and felt we provided a great value.
Understanding that we are an older property, I appreciate that you noticed and commented favorably on our recent renovations. One of the last remaining projects is the complete retrofitting of our elevators to improve their speed and reliability. That is going on right now, one elevator at a time.
Thank you again and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.
All my best,

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Back again at the wonderful Renaissance. Typically, I travel to Chicago's North Shore suburbs twice per year, and we have found comfort returning to the Renaissance North Shore time and time again. My wife, two year old daughter, and myself had an excellent experience. Once again, I am impressed about the high qualty of customer service of all employees. Unfortunately, I have forgotten people's names, but was recognized by several employees from prior visits. As a rewards member, I visited the consierge room on the 9th floor several times for breakfast and coffee. The nice lady made it a point to remember my name and always was very welcoming to all visitors. Was very happy to see all the renovations, which I missed during my last trip. It is a very convenient location to the Winnetka train station for easy access to my downtown office. Looking forward to my next trip in the spring of 2013.

Room Tip: Better view from higher floors.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Britopspin,
Thank you! What wonderful comments to read and to share with my staff. I was very pleased to learn that we looked after your family during your recent visit and that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly.
I imagine it was Elizabeth up in our 9th floor Club Lounge whom you encountered... She continues to treat all our guests as if they were long lost friends and I will thank her on your behalf.
I look forward to hopefully meeting you next spring and wish you good health and happiness in the meantime.
Best regards,