“Nice rooms, good value”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice rooms, good value”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Needed a hotel on the north side to attend a family function that was on the Evanston/Chicago border. All of the hotels in Evanston were booked due to a Northwestern Univ. game that weekend so we had to look a little further north for a hotel. This one was great as far as price and being right next to the freeway so we could zip into the city without too much of a problem. Rooms were very nice and bed/pillows were great. The check-in staff was friendly and efficient. Bartenders also very nice and got to know us after a day or two. Only thing that could use a little improvement was their breakfast room which was very noisy, not overly appealing looking, and a little chaotic. But it is just breakfast so not that big of a deal (a better breakfast option was Butterfield's down the street in Northbrook.) All in all, would definitely stay here again - the value was very good!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear ArubaAmy,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us! I am happy to hear that our staff at the front desk and in the bar provided friendly and attentive service for you.
I have to agree with your comment about our breakfast restaurant being noisy when it is busy. It was recently remodeled and it seems as though the installation of the new furnishings and finishes have created a great deal of sound reflection. I am personally looking for remedies for this, such as fabric art on the walls, a cloth curtain to separate the buffet area and several other ideas.
Thank you again and I hope you choose to stay with us when visiting family in the future.
Rik Blyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Vermont
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I just spent a week at this hotel in conjunction with the American Society of Botanical Art Annual Conference. Check-in was easy even though I arrived well before check-in time. I had lots of art supplies with me and the Bellman cheerfully made 2 trips to help empty my car. The room was clean and spacious and virtually soundproof. The bed was incredibly comfortable and as a Marriott rewards member, I had free internet. The hotel was chosen due to its proximity to the Chicago Botanical Garden, which is a wonderful site with lots going on all the time. The restaurant in the lobby had a nice variety of choices, particularly soups and salads, and the adjoining Ruth's Chris Steakhouse served possibly the best steak I have ever eaten. The staff was always helpful and even the manager pitched in driving the hotel van and helping me load my car when I departed. There was a lot going on, not just our conference, but the staff handled everything with aplomb. A great stay. I would love to come back and spend more time exploring the area.

Room Tip: I don't think any room has a great view, but rooms at the front are probably quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear madhattervt,
Thank you so much for your kind comments! The Botanical Art group was a delight to have in the hotel. I truly enjoyed speaking with many of the attendees and seeing some of their creativity displayed.
It is great to know that your stay went well and that our facilities and staff exceeded your expectations. I agree that the Botanical Gardens across the road from us are world class and I do hope you are able to return in the summer to see them in their full glory.
West Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We recently stayed at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore for 4 nights and were quite impressed with the value, service and convenience of this hotel. While not luxurious, the room was very clean, quiet and probably recently remodeled, as was the lobby and common area. The concierge was very helpful with suggestions and directions. We found the combination of these positive attributes at a good price to be an excellent value. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Adonisamurensis,
Thank you for the positive comments about your recent stay with us! You are correct, our guest rooms and all public spaces were remodeled in the past year and I am happy to hear you enjoyed their new look. Thank you also for mentioning the helpfulness of our concierge.
I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Johnson City, Texas
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've stayed many times at this property since 2010. During my stays, the hotel underwent an extensive remodel that did a great job modernizing the rooms. The bathrooms are still a giveaway that this Renaissance has quite a few years behind it.

Check in has always been easy, and front desk staff have been consistently polite and helpful. The common areas are large and open, and look a lot better since the renovation. I'm not sure why but I've always found the restaurant here to be consistently tasty, especially for breakfast, and the waitstaff is great.

The rooms are now up to modern Marriott/Renaissance standards. The heating and A/C systems are a bit old and quirky; it's probably a good idea to check those when you arrive to ensure it's working properly.

The hotel has two towers--if you're elite, stay in the South Tower as the (small) Concierge Lounge is located on the 9th floor. (To switch between towers you have to go to ground level and cross the lobby.)

Another very nice touch here is that a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is adjoined to the hotel; if that is your thing (as it is mine), it's awesome on business trips to be able to have a great steak and walk back to your room regardless of how cold/windy/whatever it is outside.

This is a very competent hotel and I do recommend it for the location.

Room Tip: Concierge Lounge is in the South Tower. Rooms are quieter on the west side of both towers (away fro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pletchm
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear pletchm,
Thank you for the thoughtful and thorough review! I love hearing from guests who saw the "old Renaissance" and are now experiencing us after our renovations.
Yes, we still have a 40 year old structure, but the interiors have been completely updated from a decor and comfort perspective. Our hot water boilers and other back-of-house equipment was also updated and the elevators are undergoing an overhaul even as I write this.
It's nice to know you enjoy our new restaurant, Pancetta, as well as Ruth's Chris. From casual to more elegant, I think we've got it covered!
Thanks again for your comments,
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel is very nice with a large, well appointed lobby. Check-in was fast and my son and I were in our room quickly. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. It had a flat screen TV and we enjoyed the game. The concierge lounge was nice and clean and the host enjoyable to talk to. We went to the pool which was nice and we played ping pong at the table in the pool area. I would definitely stay here again. My only complaint is that we are platinum members and we get a check in gift, which we chose a pint of ice cream. At most nice Marriotts, this arrives in a sealed container (Haagen-Daz). However, this time they brought us a bowl of vanilla ice cream, about half a pint, and the ice cream was all icy as it though it had been thawed and frozen a few times. Two bites and we threw it out. However, this was just a small negative in an otherwise very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jpb7428
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear jpb7428,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at the Renaissance North Shore. I was happy to read that we took good care of you and you enjoyed your stay overall.
I am concerned about the issue with the ice cream, we normally do provide a pint of Haagen Daz, so I will look into why this was not the case during your stay. My apologies for disappointing you and your son.
I hope you plan a return trip and give us the chance to make this up to you. Please feel free to contact me personally if I can be of assistance at that time.
Regards,
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is my 6th stay this year at the Renaissance hotel in Northbrook. Each time, it has exceeded my expectations. We stay here because of the great value and the fact they accept pets.
If I had to pick one thing that stands out to me, it would be the front desk staff. I stay in 4 star hotels all over the US and I am not sure I have found a friendlier or more accommodating front desk staff. We always request to stay on the North side of the hotel because it is easier access to the back to walk our dog. Despite booking through a 3rd party website, they always go out of their way to meet our request.

The new lobby renovations are beautiful. The food is good. Love the Ruth Chris option. May I also suggest, if you are looking for more dinner options, driving up the road 5 minutes to the Northbrook mall. There is a PF Changs and several other options.

I have stayed at several other Renaissances and the only thing I wish they would add is complimentary champagne at check in. A quick 2 minute trip to Traders Joes takes care of that though! I do enjoy the cucumber water, however! As long as they continue to accept pets, this will be our preferred hotel choice for our 8-10 trips a year to Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear chicagopettraveler,
Thank you for your past, and hopefully future, business! I have probably stopped to pet your dog in our lobby on one of your recent stays, I'll be sure to introduce myself to the humans next time...
I have passed on your kind comments to our front desk staff and I look forward to welcoming you back many more times. FYI, there are no plans to change our pet-friendly status anytime soon!
Avon Lake, Ohio
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We chose the Renaissance quite by accident but we have no regrets! The lobby was always abuzz with activity-the bar was packed with happy patrons! Fresh crunchy apples were available every morning along with daily newspapers and urns of icy cold water with juicy lemons tempting a thirsty traveller. The staff was very helpful and patient-even during an unexpected elevator breakdown early one morning. Our room was spacious and quiet. Our bed was super comfortable. I was a tad disappointed with the housekeeping-don't get me wrong everything was neat and clean but there were a few things out of place. In a rush, I had left the ironing board up and I had trouble retracting the cord for the iron. Upon returning later, the ironing board and iron were still there where I left them-I struggled mightly with that iron! No clean drinking glasses in the bathroom. Minor glitches in an otherwise unforgettable stay.No problem getting around. It was a straight shot driving into town with easy access onto the highway. Free Parking! Next time, we'll visit the Chicago Botanical Gardens which appear to be a stones throw away. There is large upscale shopping mall about 2 miles away-you can pick up a brand new Harley there, if you so desire. Now that we have family in Chicago, the Renaissance will be our home away from home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ElaineFN_55,
Thank you for the thorough and positive review! While I am disappointed that our housekeeping staff missed a few key details, which I apologize for, I was happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and will be back to see us in the future. You will absolutely love the Botanic Gardens, they are one of the best in the entire USA.
I do hope to meet you during one of your return visits.
Best regards,
Rik Blyth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Near North Side
The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago
#2 of 190 in Chicago

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!