“Solid Service and Comfort”

Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Wayne, New Jersey
“Solid Service and Comfort”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Stayed overnight for an interview in Northbrook a few blocks away.
Very nice and affable staff - kind of overdo it with the across the lobby "hello" shouts, but I guess that's what the hospitality gurus demand nowadays.

Clean room, soft bed. Even had a coffee maker in the room, which is a big peeve of mine if they are missing in the higher end hotels. The only negative is the floor unit AC unit, which is right next to the bed and may freeze you out if the cool air clicks on.

Also, be careful with the shampoo supplied in the bathroom which has a very strong menthol or other aromatic which the fumes may affect your eyes and skin if you are sensitive.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank IndustryDoc
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
I am very happy to hear that your short stay with us was enjoyable and I hope your interview went well! We have been getting great feedback about our newly remodelled guest rooms, and I see that the new pillow top mattress was to your liking as well. Also appreciate your observation about the Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo, some guests love it but others prefer a subtler scent (myself included!) I hope your travels, or new job, bring you back to the Renaissance North Shore in the future.
All my best,
Rik Blyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 1, 2012

My husband was very disappointed the whole time we were staying here. To be honest I have stayed in a lower star hotel which was better than this hotel.

My husband got a room here so he could take me on a romantic getaway. He was especially excited about this hotel because it was supposed to be a 4 diamond hotel. When we reached the hotel, we absolutely couldn't find any parking. Turns out, there was a wedding going on. But since we got there late, we were offered a late checkout. They were out of a single room so we had a double bed room. It had full size beds. It was either my husband and I can cramp ourselves in one bed or sleep comfortably in separate beds (not very romantic).

The room itself was newly renovated and had new furniture, but the bathroom was way too small. There was also bottled water but it wasn't complimentary. It says in fine print that a $3.50 charge will be added to the room if consumed. Everything else is pretty mediocre. Our view wasn't that great, but that's something that we cant control. Somehow my husband expected more and was not happy.

We probably wont stay here again. It wasn't worth the money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Solitaire078
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay. I am so sorry that you were disappointed, especially considering that this was a getaway for the two of you. Although we do cater primarily to corporate guests during the week, our weekends may have several social functions scheduled and parking can overflow to our back lot. One of our staff members should have directed you to that location.
I apologize for your requested bed type being unavailable, but am glad that you did notice our recently renovated rooms. If you should be back in this area, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to make up for your experience. Please feel free to contact me.
Best regards,
bryn mawr, pa
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Work trip brought me to Renaissance North Shore.
Given a corner room that was away from the noise, so that was a good thing.
The business center seemed to be experiencing some issues, as getting on the internet to print a boarding pass was exasperating.

Bed was comfy, shower was good, not great. There was not a really comfortable place to sit, the desk chair was fine for desk work, but the sitting chair was uncomfortable.

3.5 stars might be more like the true grade, even with a Ruth Chris Steak House attached,

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lefty713
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your constructive comments. As the new General Manager (2 months) of the Renaissance North Shore, I appreciate the feedback and have addressed the internet issues in the business center that you mentioned.
It appears that you stayed in one of our rooms that had not been renovated as yet, now that all of our rooms have brand new beds, furniture, lighting, carpet and artwork, the comments from our guests have been overwhelmingly positive. I hope you are able to return soon and experience the new decor; I am sure you will be pleased.
Thank you again and have a great 2012!
Rik Blyth, General Manager
Delaware
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel several years ago and again recently. The hotel has almost completed an extensive renovation so it is in very good condition. The rooms are a good size and all the furniture and carpeting is new. The mattresses are ultra comfy, one of the best in the industry. I travel a lot for business and had one of my best night's sleep in that bed. The staff was friendly and attentive. I really can't say anything negative about this property.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your comments! It is heartening to know that the time and effort put into our recent renovations has been noticed... We are very proud of all of our new rooms and hope to see you back again soon!
Best wishes for a prosperous 2012!
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Reviewed December 6, 2011

When I origally booked I saw some negative reviews and was a little hesistant to book. However, my conference was being held there so I went ahead and booked. It was an excellent stay - everyone from the reception to the housekeepers was very efficient, very helpful and friendly. I will stay there again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Renaissance North Shore! We have just finished the renovation of all 385 of our guest rooms and hope you return in the near future to see the finished product. All my best for a great 2012!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We arrived at the Renaissance for our two night weekend stay and were impressed with the beautiful lobby and friendly staff who greeted us. This hotel was rated as a 4* on Priceline, which was an upgrade from the 3 1/2* bid I had made and the lobby reflected that rating. We were given our choice of a Queen Room or King and we chose a King. Our room was on the 5th floor (512) and was tucked in a corner and away from a noisy party going on below. We had no trouble with noise keeping us awake.

The room was well appointed and was updated as far as furnishings are concerned. It was clean and fully equipped with everything needed. My husband travels for business frequently and was impressed with the set up for all of his electronics. He said it was the best set up he has experienced. The bed was very comfortable and afforded a good night's sleep. The room had been updated with a flat screen tv, but the popcorn ceilings and drab elevators showed that the update on this hotel had not been as thorough as it could have been. The room was not large, but adequate. Due to the size of the room and the bathroom I would rate this room as consistent with 3 - 3 1/2* hotels we have stayed at. We have frequented many other 4* hotels and this room, while very nice, was not quite up to a 4* standard.

My main complaint about the room was the bathroom. It was very small for a 4*. We prefer a hotel bathroom with a sink outside of the shower/toilet area so we can both be getting ready at the same time. This bathroom was too small for both of us to be in there at the same time. My other concern is a common complaint I have about hotel bathrooms and that is a lack of ventilation. No fan means that I have to shower with the bathroom door open so the condensation will not build up to the point that the only mirror will not be unusable after the shower has been used. Also, the toilet was very slow and we had to flush it several times, holding the handle throughout the flush in order for it to do it's job.

The service at the front desk was excellent, as was the service in the restaurant in the lobby where we had a nice breakfast our first morning. We had wake up service both mornings as usual when we travel. However, someone got their wires crossed on time change weekend and our 7:30 AM wake up call came at 5:30 AM! We set our phone alarm and went back to sleep. Free parking onsite is important to us and one reason we looked for a hotel beyond our usual North O'hare location. The offer of free internet for Marriott Rewards members was another nice plus which we enjoyed.

Location wise, this worked out well for us. We were visiting family in a couple different areas of the north suburbs and the hotel was well located. There was a nice restaurant in the lobby in addition to a Ruth Christ Steak House. For casual meals nearby there is a Barnaby's across the street. We ate once at the Potbelly Sandwich Shop less than a block away. About 3.5 miles away we found a Target where we picked up some early Christmas gifts to leave with family in the area and an IHOP for an inexpensive Sunday brunch.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay again when the price is consistent with hotels in the area that are in the 3 - 3 1/2* range.

Room Tip: Rooms at a higher level as the lobby had loud music and/or parties each night we were there.