“A clean, quiet, safe, and affordable place to stay in the Chicagoland area.”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Wheeling, Illinois
“A clean, quiet, safe, and affordable place to stay in the Chicagoland area.”
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I have never personally stayed overnight at this hotel, however, I am the Customer Service Supervisor of an FBO at an airport that is in close proximity to this hotel and I send several of my customers here on a nightly basis. The happiness of my customers is of the utmost importance to me and I would never send them somewhere that I did not think was above standard across the board. While I have never stayed overnight myself, I have visited the hotel on many different occasions and can vouch for the fact that it is quiet, clean, safe, affordable, and has an overall good atmosphere. The restaurant has excellent food at a reasonable price and is a great place to catch some dinner if you don't feel like venturing out off of hotel property. The staff is very friendly and their shuttle service is expedient and readily available. This is a great hotel to stay at if you're in town for business or if you want to stay near the downtown area without having to pay the downtown hotel prices. Off all the flight crews I've ever sent to stay overnight at the Crowne, I have never had one complaint. Many of the crews that fly in frequently request to stay at the Crowne every time they come in. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that wanted to come stay in the Chicagoland area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Wheeling, Illinois
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We have customers stay at this hotel all the time. I have nothing but the best to say about this hotel facility and staff. Our customers that stay here are delighted with the rooms and staff. The rooms have been recently updated and are very inviting. They include free internet also. There is a free cocktail hour from 5-7 with appetizers while you are staying at the hotel also. In the last snow storm, the staff even shoveled one of our customers out of their parking lot...what service! We would recommend this hotel to anyone with confidence. it is a Hidden Gem.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed at Crowne Plaza for two nights after a long intercontinental flight for a show in Chicago. The hotel was not what I expected.
The room was ok and clean. However It was so noisy that I woke up couple times in the night. I also slept in beds which were much more comfortable than those at this hotel.
I come pretty often to Chicago area for business and I have to say that this was the first and the last time I stayed here.
I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
nbcrowne, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear "Not what I expected"
Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly value the opinions of our guests and rely on them to assist us in improving our service and hotel experience.
I am disappointed to learn your stay was less than perfect. I understand you were disturbed by noise, I do apologize! Our hotel has several "quiet and tucked away" areas where I trust you will not be distrured by corridor or elevator noise. Additionally, we now have sleep number beds which are comfortable and cozy to provide you a restful night sleep. I hope you will give us another opportunity when your travels take you to Northbrook.
Best regards, Crowne Plaza Management Team.
Minneapolis
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Until recently, this hotel was a Radisson and before that it looks like it used to be a Holiday Inn. Crowne Plaza has done a very nice job renovating it to their very nice upper level business class standards. While the rooms are now really great, this hotel suffers from its very poor layout that is a throw back to a bygone day. You can tell this is a really, really old hotel when you get into the elevators (once you find them....more on that later). They have that very old elevator smell like you can smell the grease and hear the gears grinding.
This hotel is not too far from the I-294 exit near the Chicago Executive Airport (formerly the Palwaukee Airport). But the hotel is not actually near the exit and you have to take a couple of roads off the exit to get here. It's not a very easy find and that's just the first navigation problem you encounter when you get here.
The staff is nice and the lobby looks clean and decent.
But getting to the rooms via elevator takes you on a very long trek. First you have to pass the entire bar (on the left) and the open air restaurant (on the right), then turn down the second hallway on the left and start walking past the ballrooms.....all of them.
Then you pass the pool and come to an elevator. But wait, it's the elevator to MORE BALLROOMS....you have to keep walking to the SECOND SET of elevators before you finally get to the ones that take you to the upstairs rooms.
This basically means you walk in at one corner of the hotel and have to walk completely to the back side of the hotel down two complete sides of the hotel before you get to the elevators that go to the rooms. You can try to drive to the back but there aren't many parking spaces back there and its all wooded behind the hotel and dimly lit so its not a very appealing option.
The rooms themselves are as good as any Crowne Plaza you'll see. It must have been a very recent renovation because the rooms look very lightly used. The furniture is great. Big sofa (with a hide-a-bed) and work area that is well lit and very easy to work at (the internet connection is free but slower than most).
The beds are big but they are the Sleep Number beds. While that gives you flexibility to choose your comfort level, some people don't like them. I usually can't figure out my number easily....so I'm not a big fan.
There's a nice sized double closet with a big mirror on the doors and the rooms have a fridge, microwave and nice big flat screen TV (but its curiously missing HD channels...so you get fuzzy SD channels on a nice flat screen TV).
The bathrooms are almost all new. My tub faucet was old and leaked a little, but the sink was nice.
So while the inside of the rooms are great, the hotel itself is past its time. The hotel's owners have obviously spent a great deal of money to bring this place up to the Crowne Plaza's standards and the rooms are clean and nice, but Crowne Plaza should have done their homework better and refused to let them flag this as a Crowne Plaza because its just not the right building for this brand.
I'd only stay here if I had a meeting here. That seems to be the market for this hotel. It's a decent small to mid-sized suburban conference hotel and unless you are here for that, I'd skip it. Especially since right next door is a much larger and really much nicer Hilton!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Peoria Heights, Illinois
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We had to stay here when we missed our connecting flight at O'Hare and I have to say this is almost the nicest hotel I've evr stayed at! The rooms are beautiful and clean and I wish every hotel was this nice. They even have sleep number beds, It was wierd to sleep on it since I'm not used to it, but I slept great nonetheless.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Sugarcreek, Ohio
Reviewed September 30, 2010

While the road construction is a bit of a hassle, the hotel is a great place to stay. Remodeled several years ago, much still looks new. The bathrooms are very nice. The sleep number beds add a touch. The restaurant and hotel staff were very helpful. The courtesy shuttle took the ladies 5 miles to the train station to go downtown and picked them up in the evening. They were waiting for them at the station! I was hesitant after reading the 2009 reviews, but there must be" a new sheriff in town". This place is nice. Judging from all the airline pilots and stewardess staying overnight from nearby O'Hare, I'm not the only one who thinks so.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed July 19, 2010

This place was a nice hotel, not luxurious, but still nice. It was clean and appeared to have been recently updated. The beds were comfortable and the LG flat screen was a nice touch. I would have no problem staying here agasin or recommending this hotel to a family member.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
#1 of 4 in Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Courtyard Chicago Glenview/Northbrook
Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel
Baymont Inn & Suites Glenview
Best Western Plus Glenview-Chicagoland Inn & Suites

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook? Share your experiences!