“Less expensive but nice hotel”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
“Less expensive but nice hotel”
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on a recent business trip because the Hilton across the street was sold out. Originally I was disappointed that I would have to switch but this hotel was less expensive and the rooms and facilities were just as nice. The only negative I have is that the "sleep number" beds were uncomfortable.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank bendoMWLT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Kearney, Nebraska
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was impressed with the initial experience with this hotel. It is in a quiet part of the Chicago area (i.e. it is going to take awhile to get anywhere from here). I was impressed with the front lobby as well as the front desk staff who seemed professional though not overly friendly. The rooms were very clean and modern definitely above an average hotel room and we were a big fan of the sleep by number beds that they have. The issues that we had was that it was a convention hotel and we were right off the corridor where the banquet halls were so consequently it was very noisy with a wedding party until well past 1am. The other negative thing was our interaction with the housekeeping who took all of our personal belongings out of the room after the first night of our stay. When we arrived and noticed this we called the front desk who seemed unconcerned and told us that housekeeping was not in until the next morning and there was nothing to be done until then. YIKES! This was very frustrating especially since in the morning we still didnt get our items until after 10:30am well after we had intended to leave. That being said, the facilities were comfortable enough that we would definitely consider staying here again if we were needing a night on the outskirts of suburban Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room or something away from the banquet halls
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed August 8, 2012

After our late night flight was finally cancelled, the airline bused us over to the Northbrook Crowne Plaza. After a quick check-in, I fell asleep in a surprisingly comfortable bed. OK, this is not the Ritz, but it’s more than acceptable. The shower works (and there is a night light!), the Wi-Fi is free and strong, and the hotel personnel are friendly. For my tastes this hotel is too distant from O’Hare so, given my choice, I would probably choose a more convenient property for an airport overnight. Yes, the Crowne Plaza has a free airport shuttle; however, with one driver short, the shuttle at the time I needed was canceled so I had to use an expensive car service to get me back to the airport in time for my flight.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Il
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had the most wonderful experience at Crowne Plaza-Northbrook. Room was extremely clean and well decorated. The Hotel itself was quiet considering a youth basketball group was in the hotel. The Pool area was neat and well kept. I thoroughly enjoyed my quiet time away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Belfast
Reviewed June 19, 2012

There is a reason why this hotel is almost permanently packed full of people: it is very affordable indeed. If that is your main criteria for staying in a hotel then this may very well meet your needs. However there are a few reasons why I would not otherwise recommend this place: first and foremost the walls are absolutely wafer thin. Make no mistake about it you will hear your neighbours television and be privy to whatever else they get up to. I frequently heard drunken businessmen in the hotel hallways late at night which was really not what I was looking for on a busy business trip.

Secondly the location is very remote from almost anywhere: 30 minutes from O'Hare airport and almost an hour from Chicago itself. This hotel is in Northbrook not Chicago.

Special mention must go to the hotel bar which is not at all somewhere I would want to spend my free time: however it is almost always packed full of lively travelling businessmen and salesmen so it seems to appeal to some people.

At weekends the hotel tends to become incredibly busy and hosts a lot of conferences. If you need peace and quiet look elsewhere.

The breakfast is adequate and in line with the low price of the hotel.

If you are on a budget and need to be in Northbrook, Illinois then the Crowne Plaza may be an option for you.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JackalST
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The hotel was ok. The walls are paper thin and you care hear the slightest conversations in the hallway. At around 2am in the morning there were people in the room next to me slamming doors and yelling. I called the front desk and they took care of it right away. I would probably stay here again if I could get a deal on the room, otherwise I don't think so. The sleep number beds don't make up for the mediocrity, half of the time mine wasn't working.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Charmedlife007
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Charmedlife007,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Front desk staff just ok. Housekeepers left a bottle of bleach in room and my 3 year old found. No apologies from front desk staff just a "uh Hun" from them when I told them about it.
I was told outdoor pool was heated, but it was so cold only 1 of the four of s would actually go in.
Construction going on in room beside us on our fourth day. Drilling hammering, etc. they offered to switch us rooms but we had so much stuff I couldn't tell what was a bigger inconvenience.
Tvs weren't working. Maintenance cam in room and repaired it. Ordered a kids program and it stopped working. Maintenance had to come again. Had to negotiate with front desk to have it taken off bill!! A show we didn't get to watch! They replied saying that it was now working and we could watch it then (the next day!). Our schedule does not work around the maintenance schedule. We wanted to watch a show at night not at 10 am the next day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
#1 of 4 in Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel
Courtyard Chicago Glenview/Northbrook
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prospect Heights
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#1 of 2 in Prospect Heights
Best Western Plus Glenview-Chicagoland Inn & Suites

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook? Share your experiences!