“Pleasant Surprise”

J Alexander's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
J Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 127 Restaurants in Northbrook
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pointe Dr.
Reviewed September 18, 2017 via mobile

We have not been to J Alexander's in a number of years, but decided to try it again Sunday night for dinner. We were pleasantly surprised. The Chef's Recommendations were outstanding, and that is what we went with. My wife had the 10oz Prime Rib with mashed potatoes. She truly enjoyed it, it was cooked just right, very tender and juicy with good flavor. The portion size was perfect. I had the 10oz NY Strip with mashed potatoes instead of fries. Again it was prepared perfectly and the portion size was more then enough. For a starter we shared a Caesar Salad. The Salad was huge and the dressing complimented the croutons and romaine perfectly. At $20 for the Prime Rib and $25 for the Strip Steak, it was a great value. The Salad was only $6.00, since we had entrees. This meal was a super value.

As far as service goes, we sat in the bar area and had the bartender as our waiter. Because the bar was a bit busy we did not see him to often, but that was made up for by everyone else serving us.

Great food and great service means we will be coming back.

Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

Went there on Saturday night for dinner with my wife. We made a reservation. I ate at J. Alexander's in Michigan and really liked it. It was just as good here.
We had the crab cakes and the fried shrimp. Very good. Service was fantastic.
It was a little pricey but worth it. We enjoyed it and will definitely go back. It will be more on special occasions but will be back.

Reviewed July 27, 2017

Great service & atmosphere. Excellent wines by the glass. Had the filet mignon. Would definitely dine here again.

Reviewed July 17, 2017 via mobile

This special Lynch dish is from today's manager name John.
Saw him eating and asked him what he was eating, he got up and asked me if I want the same think even that wasn't in menu.
He went in the kitchen and 10 -15 min latter he came up with the plate and delicious meal for me!
I really thank you him for what he did for me and he deserves all my 10 ⭐️.
Great service all around.
John you are one of the kind manager.
Thank you again!!!

Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

Met a former colleague for a drink and dinner. Bar service was horrible and food was average and overpriced for the quality. They ran out of wine glasses and were serving wine in all types of glassware. I had a mixed drink re- served in the same glass! Place was busy but not jammed. No explanation other than poor management.

I have been going to this location for years and it has always been good. I normally would have given them a pass for a tough night, but my experience was so bad that I had to share.