“Good food / long wait even with reservation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ron of Japan

Ron of Japan
Reserve with OpenTable
Ron of Japan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 110 Restaurants in Northbrook
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
“Good food / long wait even with reservation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Had a 7:45 reservation, arrived very early, promised seating in 40 min, finally seated at 8:30. Manager rude when asked why the delay. He argued ith us. Bar area dark and cold. Good food saved the night.

Visited May 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Still of of our favorites....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I am surprised by some of the reviews on here but I have eaten here a handful of times only but have been very happy every time. Classic older decor and comfortable habachi tables. We love the egg sauce and usually get the shogun and its always more food that I can eat. We love the shrimp appetizers too and don't forget the Mai Tais!!!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Chicago, Illinois
“Superior”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Ron of Japan in Northbrook has been a family favorite for years. We have always celebrated all sorts of occasions here. Our most recent visit was last weekend for my birthday. We made reservations for 7:15pm and when we arrived at 7:00pm we were seated right away. Walking through to our table we couldn’t help but notice how packed the restaurant was. In all of my times here I have never seen them that busy. It was so busy we were brought to a part of the restaurant I also had never even seen before. It looked like an extra room that they made to use when they’re busy (like this night), with only four tables. We had a party of five, so we were seated with a nice couple. For drinks, my mom and I ordered their Super Mai Tai and trust me, the name doesn’t have super in it for nothing. On to the food: the soup and salad were delicious as always. We ordered four shrimp per person for an appetizer and they had the amazing egg sauce, just as delicious as I remembered from last time. We then had vegetables and fried rice – just perfect. The main entrée was the crown lobster tail and it was perfectly cooked, a more than enough large size tail and had plenty of their special egg sauce. Ron’s has never disappointed me and has always been my go-to special occasion’s dinner place. The staff is always friendly and so accommodating. If you want superior quality, quantity, atmosphere, and service this is the place to go.

• Visited February 2013
Kissimmee, Florida
“Best food ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I didn't like sitting with people I didn't know.

I loved the food. The egg on the shrimp is fantastic. I always have too much food when I go but it was worth every penny and got a goody bag to go.

Visited May 2012
Lake Zurich, Illinois
“What Happened.?!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Japanese steak houses used to be great for entertainment and decent food. Even the chef's were authentic. Among the best, Ron of Japan was a standout. We had friends in from Europe and made the mistake of taking them here. Not only was the food greasy and tastless, the chef was terrible. It will be a long time before I venture into a Japanese steak house, this was emabarrassing.

• Visited April 2012