“Fun and Friendly Atmosphere”
Review of Ron of Japan

Ron of Japan
Reserve with OpenTable
Ron of Japan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 121 Restaurants in Northbrook
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed January 13, 2012

It was alot of fun and the food was good, the only thing I was dissapointed in was the fried rice they used hamburger meat so it didnt have much flavor,, tasted more like a bland hamburger helper, but other than that it was a fun time

There are newer reviews for Ron of Japan

Reviewed January 5, 2012

The atmosphere is great if you want to spend eating dinners with strangers.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Came here for my birthday, but because I did not sign up for the birthday club until the day of, I did not get my free birthday dinner. I can understand they want their returning customers to get the free birthday dinner, but it would have been a nice gesture to give me a free dinner since I brought out 4 other people to celebrate.

Overall, a nice atmosphere inside, and the food was tasty. The chef's cooking demonstration was not as interesting as some other Japanese steakhouses. I ordered the filet and shrimp crown combo, which was a mistake. You get shrimp as an appetizer as part of this meal already, so then I added more of the same shrimp as part of my entree. I should have just ordered the filet which would have given me more steak.

The desert was nothing special, so I'd suggest going with the basic entree option if you don't want the shrimp.

Also, they sit you with other parties if you aren't a large group, so I'd suggest only going if you have a larger group (4+) or if you like mingling with strangers.

I remember back in the day, commercials for this place showing the meat being sliced. So good. The food didn't disappoint, so I would consider returning for a special occasion.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

The egg sauce and meat-heavy fried rice may not appeal to everyone (per other reviews), but we loved it! Such a charming, unusual interior, great drinks ("super Mai Tai"), and the food was awesome. Not traditional Japanese, not super healthy, but yummy!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Ron of Japan was simply a delight. We go there all of the time, and the wait staff is always friendly the moment we walk in the door. The food was quite tasty, and the chef is entertaining while making it.

The only downside can be that if you travel with a small party, you will most likely be sitting with others. While this can be quite a fun time, it also can make some dinner situations awkward, depending who is sitting near you. However, usually it turns into a very good time.

In short: Great Food, Great Service, Highly Recommended.