“Neighnorhood Gem”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Neighnorhood Gem”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Always good food, with a large menu to chose from. Try the Next Door salad, as well as the broiled chicken. Pasta dishes are delicious and the veal chop is outstanding. No reservations, but it is worth the wait.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Paul C

Minneapolis
“Fun, friendly and good”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We celebrated a graduation with a party of 7, got a reservation same-day and were seated on time. The place is quite small and the seating is tight, but the staff all seem very good at working a crowded room. Tons of good energy and the sounds of happy people, worked for us who were celebrating.
Several dishes were excellent, including the rosemary brick chicken (semiboneless whole bird, very tender, nicely seasoned, the dark meat was fantastic) and the papardelle giambotta. I thought the papardelle was the stand-out: extra-wide home made pasta with a sauce of Italian sausage, peppers and mushrooms. So good. All seven liked their entree, though I thought a few of the dishes looked more ordinary italian-American.
The house salad served family style was a hit - most of the party said it was just like their Milwaukee Italian grandma made. I found it a bit Iceberg-y but nice. Table garlic bread was crusty, warm, good, and plentiful.
For dessert (to go, the dinner was huge), the banana chocolate chip cake was fantastic, but the wild berry torte was all looks and not much flavor. Overall, a great celebration dinner and good value for money, too.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Snowman00
Highland Park, IL
“A Bit Disappointing”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Some of our friends raved about this place but my experience did not live up to their expectations. The ambiance is pleasant but a bit too tightly packed for a small room. We had to wait for our reservations, but it was a Saturday night and this could be expected. The service was ok and not a problem. The food came in par. A so-so scallop dish, indifferent osso bucco and a pedestrian pasta dish. Frankly, we were expecting much more and got something average.

• Visited April 2013
“unwanted ingredients”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Have been here a few times. First time I went with a friend who is a regular so service was quite good and very attentive.

The next times I wet without the friend and then service was really bad. We were being ignored and took for ever.

The food is american with a touch of italy - I wouldn't call it Italian. But having lived in Italy I think my parameter for Italian food is different from most americans.

I do like the eggplant with tomatoes - lots of garlic and very yummy.

My big hesitation is that hair seems to be a main ingredient at this establishment each time I have gone here, although it does not appear on their menu. It is long hair and really I don't fancy eating hair.

Also often the cups and utensils have been dirty or greasy - or as last time my water glass had lipstick on it. As I don't use makeup then I don't fancy getting lipstick on my lips while drinking.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank dkrejser
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Always a good dinner at reasonable prices. Small and crowded but wait staff are very attentive. Their homemade potato chips are great. There are limited reservations. You won't be sorry

• Visited November 2012