New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Francesco's Hole In The Wall
Ranked #5 of 119 Restaurants in Northbrook
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Lake Forest, IL
“The best !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great food on the cheap! Limited space parking lot! Get there early and bring cash! No credit cards. Worth the hassle. A local dining institution!

Visited December 2012

“Same old”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just the same old heavy american italian food that's done all over chicago. Big portions of mediocre food that had the table next to us "wowed". If you like that sort of thing this is the place for you.

Visited October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“cozy atmosphere - americanized food and sizes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

The atmosphere was really cozy and we really enjoyed the entire ambience. Don't mind sitting a small squeezed in tables for good food and atmosphere. However, the food was a little disappointing. We really thought we would have a true italian eatery (due to word of mouth) but to us it was more like any americanized over cheesey wanna be italian. Guess we are just too spoiled having spent some years in Italy.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank dkrejser
Highland Park, IL
“Special Italian Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Blackboard menu, great food, no reservations, lines at the door, but well justified. Diverse offering of home made food.

Visited November 2012
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

While I was traveling for business in the area, I decided to have dinner at Francesco's. It was a great experience! I got a table for one, and I appreciated the vibe of the restaurant -- it's small, with about 20 tables, all of them filled. It had an intimate feel without being pretentious. The menu is on a white board and appears to change daily; it had a variety of dishes I found appealing, from pastas to fish and other proteins. I ordered a salad, which had a delicious dressing and was filled with artichokes and italian meats and cheeses. The server kindly brought me a smaller-than-normal size since I was dining alone. For my entree, I had a delicious rigatoni with sausage and arugula in a light tomato sauce. And, spumoni for dessert! I thought prices were reasonable. Best of all, service was spectacular -- super-friendly and fun. A pleasure!

• Visited November 2012