“Superb!”

Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed November 28, 2012

While I was traveling for business in the area, I decided to have dinner at Francesco's. It was a great experience! I got a table for one, and I appreciated the vibe of the restaurant -- it's small, with about 20 tables, all of them filled. It had an intimate feel without being pretentious. The menu is on a white board and appears to change daily; it had a variety of dishes I found appealing, from pastas to fish and other proteins. I ordered a salad, which had a delicious dressing and was filled with artichokes and italian meats and cheeses. The server kindly brought me a smaller-than-normal size since I was dining alone. For my entree, I had a delicious rigatoni with sausage and arugula in a light tomato sauce. And, spumoni for dessert! I thought prices were reasonable. Best of all, service was spectacular -- super-friendly and fun. A pleasure!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a very aptly named restaurant. It is a very very tiny little place overstuffed with tables for the dinner guests. We had a 30 - 45 minute wait for a table for two, but it wouldn't take much of a crowd to cause a line at this small of an establishment. Lots of Italian kiche and knick-knacks covering every square inch of the walls.

Once seated, our server was prompt and helpful. The salad and bread were served quickly and the main courses followed appropriately. Overall, I would say the food was good, but not outstanding. More familial rather than upscale italian. Not a place I would go out of my way to go back to, but good hearty fare at a reasonable price.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Excellent Italian food at reasonable prices. Great fresh favors and an ever changing menu. The signature "Hole" salad is outstanding. No reservations taken, but well worth the wait. The service is excellent. Manga, manga !!!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We are relocating to the Deerfield, Il area from South Jersey and we have our favorite South Philly Italian restaurants so we ventured out to see what was around locally. We were so impressed with the Hole In The Wall! There was a 20 minute wait on a Sunday night, as they do not take reservations. Once seated, we had an awesome Capresse salad with smoked mozzarella and fresh tomatoes and roasted red peppers. Our server, Gloria was very helpful in explaining the chalkboard menu and the entres we were interested in. The paparedelle pasta with meat sauce was delicious (it was a cousins special Sunday sauce that was listed on the board.) We also shared the shell pasta with 2 huge veal meatballs presented in a piping hot skillet! Everything tasted outrageously good! We were so full we had to decline deserts. Hole in the Wall was crowded, lively exactly what we remember from the restaurants on South street!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Let me start by saying that I traveled throughout Italy last summer. I have herd many people rave about Hole in the wall restaurant so my husband and I decided to try it tonight for dinner. We arrived at 5pm on a sunday and they were filling up quick. They open at 4 pm so get there early or plan on waiting. Our expectations were high when we sat down and tasted the fabulous homemade bread, but that excitement quickly turned to disappointment. We ordered the margarita pizza appetizer which was covered in a mess of processed cheese. Nothing like Italy where they use small amounts of mozzarella from balls that are sliced into circular disks, nothing shredded or processed in Italy. The government won't allow it. My husband had a veal chop vessuvio which was very fatty, but nicely spiced. I had the shells and veal meatballs. The pasta was from a box but the meatballs were very light and flavorable. The food is average, nothing exceptional or memorable. I would not return. I've traveled all over the world and in the US the most authentic Italian food is at Ottos Trattoria at the palazzo in las Vegas. Our bill at Otto is around 200 but well worth the price. . The desserts looked tasty but we didn't have any. I'm use to spending a lot on food, but 1 appetizer and 2 main dishes of mediocre quality for 75.00 was not worth it. We also had no alcohol, only drank water and no dessert.