Sybaris Northbrook
$139
Sheraton.com
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook(Northbrook)(Great Value!)
$75
$68
CrownePlaza.com
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $86/night.

$103
Renaissance Hotels
  • Pool
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $114/night.

Hilton Northbrook(Northbrook)(Great Value!)
$95
Hilton.com
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $117/night.

$73
Red Roof
$84
Savings alert! 40% below average rates

The price you found is 40% lower than this hotel's average rate of $140/night.

$138
$118
$179
Orbitz.com
$100
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $133/night.

$119
All reviewssteam roomparadise suitehot tubmajestic pool suiteparadise poolchocolate covered strawberriessurround soundmood lightingwatch tvromantic atmospheremusic playingmetal laddersstayed nightscheck in was easywaterfallfireplaceromance
Reviewed November 5, 2008

I just got back today from Sybaris Resort in Northbrook, Illinois. We had a wonderful time. Very, very romantic and very private! We booked the Majestic Pool Suite. Before I booked the suite, I had been on the Sybaris website and viewed their virtual tour. I found the virtual tour to be very realistic of what the suite actually looked like. The suite was in its own separate building with a driveway to park your car right next to the door. This helped tremendously with those 'little things' you forget to take out of the car and you have to run out there during the night to get them!

There was a separate pool room that was glassed in which can be totally seen from the bedroom. The pool was 22 feet with a hot tub. I can not stress enough how romantic it was. Beautiful changing colored lights, speakers to hear the radio, steam room for two, chairs to sit in, table between to sit drinks etc. on. There was a small hot tub attached to the pool, just enough room for 2 people. A whirlpool tub was in the bedroom next to the bed. It was a 5x7, plenty big enough for all that 'romantic stuff'! But we seemed to favor the poolroom the most!

I have a couple of complaints. One is that when I went to bed for the night, I turned down the sheet and there was a fairly large stain on it. It wasn't a fresh stain, but a laundered one. And the mattress we slept on was a plastic one. I didn't have a problem with it being plastic but I noticed the next morning that it was torn and shredded on one side. I just didn't think both of these things were very 'cool' considering the amount of money we paid to stay in this suite.

My other complaints are about the poolroom. The pool doesn't have steps leading into the water, it only has 2 ladders. I actually fell down the ladder getting into the pool (and no I didn't have anything to drink b4!), I wasn't hurt, but a little surprised! And the hottub I found very hard to get in. There is a bench to sit on once you get inside but it is deep down inside the hottub. And the bench is the only thing to stand on to lower yourself into the hot tub. My partner could step down onto the bench from the side of the pool, but I couldn't so I had to sit down on the floor then swing my legs over into the hottub to get up.

Other than that, it was a very nice stay. Poolwater kept warm at 92 degrees, nice shower, vanity area. Flat screen TV up in the corner of the bedroom which could be seen very well from both the bed and the whirlpool. We kept the gas fireplace on all night as it added a lot of romantic ambience to the room!

When we checked out we received some discount coupons for a future visit. We definitely will go back. I recommend this resort to anyone who wants to celebrate a special occasion, or just get away, or for those of you who are just simply trying to rekindle the romance in your life! It is pricey, but hey! I figure most of us don't do this kind of stuff all the time and life is frequently stressful so we need to pamper ourselves every now and then!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CatNut54
Reviewed July 14, 2008

My wife and I visited the Sybaris in Northbrook for our anniversary, and I must be honest we had our doubts about cleanliness. We need not have worried, from the moment you check in the staff and the property are fantastic. We were given our chalet number and directions then we were off to our room. On opening the door its a big WOW. We chose the Paradise Suite because of the pool and there it was crystal clear water and the rest of the room sparkled. It was time to have some our time! So we closed the door and left the world behind, put some CD's in the CD changer and hit the pool and Hot Tub. We both said at the end of our visit we would be back and we will.

Yes its expensive BUT you get what you pay for and this is worth every penny. If you are looking for a romantic get away where you can leave the world behind but don't have the time for a flight to tropical climates. This is the place for you. Book it you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Awhit53264
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I was very skeptical when booking this hotel as an early Valentine's Day gift for my husband, but we've been married 10 years and he has wanted to go for a long time, so I took the plunge...literally! I booked a pool suite and it was great! Very clean, cleaner than I expected and very relaxing. We were amazed that we were in our own little "hut" and it was so secluded! The massage chair was a nice perk. The only complaints were the steam shower. The spikets from the ceiling hurt they were so strong and as we were collecting our belongings to leave we noticed a small amount of ants were collecting by the far edge of the poolside.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenni J
Reviewed January 2, 2008

My husband and I have been members of the Sybaris now for almost twenty years and like so much we have seen in that time many changes. We typically stay in the Paradise Swimming Pool Suite however have stayed in other suites occassionally. It is a nice place for the four or five hours of get away deal in the middle of the day however when staying overnight we found the bed to be extremely uncomfortable. Actually I don't think I slept but two hours the bed was so bothersome to my back. As for cleanliness - it was and has continued to be clean and kept up. Interestingly (and we believe probably due to this day and age insurance wise) the pools in the newer rooms are very shallow -only about 3 foot deep - we recall in the older suites them to be much deeper. Anyway putting that aside as it is only one night and a private pool - as we have a pool and hot tub at home we noted the chemical in the hot tub to be very off as it was sudsing up. Lastly the check-in was a hassle this time so much so my husband almost told the kid to cancel our reservations right then and there. Reasoning was I booked it for us (for our 24th anniversary for the night) and placed the charges on our businesd card and forgot about that. When he went to check-in they ask for your credit card and he handed his AMX to them and they said no that's not the right card. He came out to the car and said what card did I place it on and I totally forgot it was on our business card and I said honestly I don't know. He went back in (by then several younger couples had checked in and were on their way to their rooms and here we were still sitting there due to this) and upon going back in told the guy he didn't have a clue what card it was placed on but here was his AMX take care of it with that furthering it with we'd never gone through this type of fiasco and had been staying there now over twenty years. He was ready to tell them cancel it and the kid took his other credit card. We were both ticked - and interestingly got our charges on our Amx and it was put through on the initial card called in - our biz card as opposed to the personal gold card he'd handed to him. Anyway - we have decided at this time not to renew our membership and in light of all are now believing comfortable beds and so forth to be more in order. All said, it is a nice little get away and we've gone there again for over 20 years.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gigagirl
Reviewed July 23, 2007

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary and stayed in one of the Chalets. It was beautiful and appeared to be very clean.
The bed had rose petals in a heart shape on it when we arrived, and we had a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us.
We did not use the jacuzzi in the bedroom area, but did use the pool and the hot tub as well as the steam and the Sharper Image chairs. Chairs were awesome.
The pool was great....wonderful temperature. How fun not to wear a bathing suit! The jacuzzi was wonderful too. It is small, but fine for two people. We turned on the waterfall a few times. It was very beautiful and private.
We brought shrimp, crablegs, snacks...and our own alcohol. If I had it all to do over again, I would have packed paper towels. They did not have any drinking glasses in the room, but we called the main desk area and someone brought them right away. They did provide little champagne glasses though.
The comforting thing about the bed/pillows is that everything is changed after each guest leaves. There is no comforter or bedspread that is the same for each guest. Instead there is a light coverlet type of blanket on top of the bed. The sheets were okay, but could have been softer. Bed was okay. We went to bed quite late, and did not get much sleep. It was too much fun to play in the pool. This was our second stay at the Sybaris.
First time was five years ago on our wedding night. I initially had reservations about staying there because I thought it would not be very nice, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would go back, but would probably be very satisfied with just the pool suite and not the chalet. The chalet was wonderful, but I think the lower priced rooms would be just as nice. I hope they continue to keep the place very clean. Here are some picky things that I noticed: I do think that they should replace the carpeting in the room. There were a few minor spots...For over $500. a night I don't want to see any spots. Also, the drinking glasses. I don't think I felt that they were very clean. That's why I would bring my own the next time. Along with the two champagne glasses, they did have plastic glasses, but its not fun to drink out of a plastic glass. I had brought chocolate to melt in the microwave to have along with our strawberries, but we could not figure out the microwave at all. The power was on, but we must have pushed the wrong buttons. I think they should replace the microwave since the words on the buttons had been worn off. Again, minor things, but when I am paying a lot of money, I expect it to be top notch.There is a small coffeemaker in the room if you want to have coffee the next morning. The best thing about the trip was that my husband and I got to concentrate on just eachother for several hours and overnight. Once inside the room, you have no idea what it is like outside. It is very dark inside, but there are lights of course. I think they should have candles. We brought one just in case. I wish I had packed more. The people who worked at the front desk area were very helpful and courteous. Overall, it was a beautiful, fantastic stay and we both wish it could have lasted longer.

Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple