“A DOG?? Really?”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Minnesota
“A DOG?? Really?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

First, I have to say that we found the hotel to be beautiful, fresh, immaculately clean. The room was comfortable, decorated in a pretty and restful Asian style. Bathroom big and well appointed. Not long after checking in, we heard barking coming from the room next door. At first, I thought it was a TV show but soon realized it was a real, live, very loud and unhappy DOG barking on and on. My husband went to the lobby to ask that either we or the dog be relocated. No way were we going to listen to that all night! To our surprise, we were told that Starwood Hotels have a "pet-welcome" policy. WHAT?? And at first, the desk clerk refused to move us! My husband insisted and so the clerk relented. A bellman came quickly and moved us to the other side of the hotel. You could hear the dog all the way down the hall. No doubt others were bothered too. The rest of our stay was pleasant and uneventful. But I will keep this Starwood policy in mind when booking hotels in the future. I would expect a barking dog at a low-end motel. But at a hotel this nice?? Really??

Room Tip: Ask if there is a DOG near your room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sallyMinnesota
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear SallyMinnesota. We are a dog friendly hotel, but not a barking dog friendly hotel. I understand from speaking with our front office manager that we were sold out the night you were here which caused the delay in finding another room to move you to. Our policy is that if a dog is barking, we notify the guest in the room and if the barking doesn't stop we ask the guest to remove the dog from the hotel. I apologize that you were inconvenienced by this guest. You mentioned the cleanliness of our hotel and we have an amazing team of housekeepers. If we have had a dog in a room, that room is deep cleaned from top to bottom. I hope you will stay with us on future stays. If you need assistance with future reservations, please call me direct at 847/897-6404. Regards, Geri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel this past weekend for 3 nights. One of the things that absolutely drove me crazy was that every morning between 9:00am and 9:30am, I would start hearing house keeping go around to every door knocking "house keeping!". All THREE nights I was woken up by "house keeping!" knocking on everyones door. Even on my first morning sleeping my door was opened. This was the first hotel where I have had this situation happen to me, usually house keeping doesn't show up till the afternoon, and this was just absolutely ridiculous. Obviously I wasn't the only one who was still sleeping, considering the fact that I heard "HOUSE KEEPING!" about every 20 seconds, going from door to door.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Thorn h. I understand what your saying. When you are staying in hotel on the weekend, it's usually your time to sleep in and relax. I have reviewed your note with my General Manager and he is using your example as a training tool. Our standard operating procedure is to access rooms that have already checked out and clean those first. You may unfortunately hear them knocking on the doors of recent check outs to make sure the rooms are in fact vacant before they walk in. For stay-overs, these rooms will be cleaned later in the day after all the check outs are cleaned. It can be challenging at times because different guests like their rooms cleaned at different times. We are reviewing some new systems and this should not happen to our guests in the future. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope the rest of your stay went well. Regards, Geri
Windsor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife, son and I were guests at this hotel at the end of July. This is a typical Westin - clean rooms, comfortable beds, great bathrooms. And, since it is about 30 minutes outside of Chicago, room rates were 1/3 of the prices you would find in the Chicago city core. Not to mention, this hotel is cleaner and in better shape than any comparable hotel close to downtown.

I am not going to list all the positives here (which represents 98% of the hotels marks), but will instead focus on 2-3 things they could improve on to make this hotel truly perfect.

So, most important positives are - great people (helpful bellhops, great check-in staff), great beds (Westin is known for those), great bathrooms (with enough light and water pressure), great rooms (spacious and well appointed)...

Few negatives they may want to address - A/C units are louder than normal and at least in our room (911), temperature was locked at 72 degrees. Our room did not include hotel guide or room-service menu. Carpets are so soft and comfortable (good thing), but they collected hair from previous occupants that vacuum could not remove apparently (our toddler found them instead :)

Again, it is important to note that few negatives pale in comparison with the positives. We visited Chicago at least 10 times in the past 10 years, and this was by far our favourite hotel (with Westin in Lombard being close second).

Room Tip: If you like airplanes, ask for a south-facing room - you can watch planes departing O'Hare airpo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
While I am happy with your kind comments, we unfortunately are not the Westin. I thought maybe you had stayed here but we only have 5 floors and you mentioned staying in room 911. I'm sure the Westin Chicago North Shore would appreciate your feedback also. Next time you are in town you should give us a try. We are 5 miles south of the Westin in Northbrook, IL.
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and I get room service occasionally when we travel, especially when we have an early morning start, but this has never happened to us before. We left the card to order room service breakfast on the doorknob at 11 pm, well before the 2am deadline. The next morning, no breakfast. Turned out the card was never picked up. By the time we figured this out it was too late- we had to leave to meet a tour. Called the front desk to complain, they said, oh wow, that's too bad. Huh? Hotel is new and room was fine - especially liked the big desk. But the breakfast breakdown was a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2012
, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for your recent review or our hotel. I apologize that we missed your breakfast order. Breakfast is my favorite room service meal and I understand how that would have been a disappointing start to your day. I'm equally disappointed to hear our response when you called to let us know that we missed your order. There are several ways that we could have handled this which would have left you feeling better and I will make sure our team members feel empowered to do these in the future. I can see you are a seasoned traveller and I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel. Reviews from people like yourself are the way our hotel continues to improve. If you are going to be staying in our area again, please feel free to call me direct and I can assist you with your reservations. Regards, Geri 847/897-6404.
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Pretty much sums it up. Good sized rooms and bathrooms which are clean and in good condition. Bathrooms are well sized (but sorely need a fan for the humidity). Wifi was free with strong signal. Health club has about 10 different machines. Pool was small and not really made for more than kids, Food quality standard though I need to add service was very good. Our server, Rose, was great and overall staff friendly and kind. Hotel has minivan that can take you to Winnetka train stop to get into city ($5 one way on train). Taxi to ORD is $30 and Chicago $80. Various stores (CVS, Wholefoods, Banks) are within walking distance. Safe bet.

Room Tip: Unless you work at Kraft, Car is necessary as public transit is pretty limited.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
I loved your review. Thank you for taking the time to write. I can tell you are a seasoned traveller as you touched on all the things that are important for a guest interested in our hotel to know. I am not aware of the fan situation in the bathrooms and will meet with our facilities manager to discuss. Would you email and let me know what room you were in so I can see if it is a room issue or a hotel issue. Thank you also for the comment on Rose, I know she will appreciate your acknowledgement. The only other comment I would add to your review is that we are within walking distance of 6 restaurants and there is a metra rail station 1 mile from the hotel in The Glen Town Center which will take you downtown also. Please let me know if you will be staying with us in the future so I can say hello in person. Geri Patterson 847/897-6404.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband and I recently got married and we would have loved for our guests to stay closer to the Evanston area for our wedding weekend, but it was the same weekend of Northwestern's graduation. So, north we went hunting for a nice, yet not break the bank hotel. The Sheraton seemed to be our answer. It is a nice hotel, but our personal experience was lacking value. We ended up having 40 rooms booked by guests, so we gave them a pretty penny bussinesswise. It was a nice price for guests, I believe the rate was about $120. My only issue was that the 'Big Suite' was taken by another bride/groom and the room that I was upgraded to ended up being very small. I thought they could have found a nicer room for us for how much bussiness we were giving them. My husband said their customer service was not great, with the lady at the front desk giving a snappy attitude. Eh, so overall I think that our guests enjoyed it, nice hotel, but our personal experience was a bit of a dissapointment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Hi Maria H. I am very sorry to hear about your disappointment. We worked with your fiancee through this whole process and everything seemed to be good to go. In terms of our suite. We have one corporate suite in our hotel and it is available on-line only. The sales department does not book the suite or have access to it. If it was booked it was because another guest booked it on line. What was agreed to with your fiancee was that we would provide you with a club level King guest room so that you could be away from your guests. Our club level is the 5th floor. Your guest room was provided complimentary based on the 20 rooms per night that you booked at the hotel. All of our guest rooms are the same size so there is not a bigger room that would have been available to you. We try to be very clear about this when we are booking our wedding room blocks so that we can avoid any miscommunication like you experienced. The part of the review that bothered me is that your fiancee (who is absolutely wonderful to work with) felt that the front desk agent had a snappy attitude. I have addressed this with our front office manager and she is holding a front office meeting today to discuss this situation and how it could have been handled more appropriately. Our hotel and team has been ranked in the top 5% of all Sheraton hotels in North America for guest satisfaction so we take this very seriously. I hope the rest of your wedding weekend was wonderful. We do appreciate the opportunity to have been the host hotel for your wedding guests. It sounds like the guests had no issues and a great time. Come back on your one year anniversary for an evening as my guest. Regards, Geri - 847/897-6404
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed to attend a wedding in the area. Very comfortable, quiet hotel. Beds were super comfortable. Our room had a walk in shower (no tub) which was really nice. Room was very clean and modern, had lots of little extras like loofa and body wash, clock radio with iphone charger, and oversized desk for business travelers.

Staff was very helpful. They called us a cab to the wedding and sent their shuttle bus to come pick us up at the end of the night.

There are stores and restaurants in the shopping center across the street which is nice if you just want something to walk to. Beach is 15 minutes away

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. In your review you mentioned all the things that make our hotel unique in the area. I love the feel of our hotel when you walk in the door. It's comfortable and intimate. The beds are always a big hit. The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bedding is amazing and can be purchased through Starwood Hotels and Resorts. Alot of employees have purchased them for our homes. Our General Manager is very active with our guests and when he received suggestions such as iphone chargers, loofa's, free weights in the fitness center he actted on those ideas. Our hotel is ranked in the top 5% of all Sheraton Hotels in North America for Guest Satisfaction. We have been open almost 4 years and this speaks volumes about our team we have in place. Our shuttle as you mentioned does provide complimentary transportation within a 5 mile radius of the hotel which is wonderful when you may not want to drive, especially after a wedding. :) We are the newest hote on the NorthShore and as you mentioned are located in a quiet upscale neighborhood but we are within walking distance of 6 restaurants and numerous shops. I hope you will stay again. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Hilton Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
#1 of 4 in Northbrook
Staybridge Suites Glenview
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette

Been to Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!