“Naval Grad”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Chicago
EAST LANSING
“Naval Grad”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

close to Base shuttle to activities, breakfast was good close to other eating places. Worked out great

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Olathe
Reviewed October 7, 2012

bathroom moldy need to be cleaned and painted, needed new shower curtain and tub to be refurbished. mattress lumpy, room and hall smelly, poor and few breakfast choices, halls, carpets need to be cleaned/replaced. halls and lobby smelly! breakfast eating area tiny!

Belleville
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was the worst Hotel experience I have ever had. The TV went out and started smoking, but the smoke alarm battery was dead and then I went to get a new one from the front desk and they gave me a bad one. This Hotel was dirty, smelly, and way over priced. I would not recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was a great hotel for a quick one night stay, no frills required. It is within a few short minutes of the Great Lakes Naval Training Station, so it is well used by soldiers and their families coming to watch their loved ones graduate from boot camp. Bearing that in mind, the floor had a large stain of black Kiwi boot polish and the neighbors were late to go to bed because they were visiting with their families and excited about the following day. There is a train track that runs nearby too, and its pretty easy to hear it every time it goes by. I was pretty smoked from my trip, so none of that bothered me too much.

The room was clean, had all the amenities advertised, and smelled a little bit like a clean barracks, but as I said before, I expected that. Its well worn, but still comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Osceola Mills, PA
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The staff was friendly and helpful. The location was very conveniently located near to the Naval Base. While I was a little disappointed by the lack of an iron for my clothes, I had come prepared for that possibility. That is the only downside I found with the room.

Room Tip: Don't forget a travel iron.
1 Thank josel927
Bessemer, Alabama
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Book trip online for my son's graduation from the Navy Booth camp. The Hotel isn't the one on the web-site and room the gave me is not suitable for a family stay. I don't know if they rent those rooms out by the hour or not but they are not for people that are looking to rest for the night. Arrived on the 08/09/12 around 10am and the room wasn't ready but the manager or owner told me that he could give me an upgraded room for an extra $60.00. He went down the hall and came back and told me that room wasn't ready either. I told him okay and I would return because I needed to go to wal-mart. when i got back and he gave me the key to the room. I went in the room and put the luggage down for I had to pick-up someone at the airport but when i came back and looked over the room and rest room. I loaded up my luggage and ask for a refund. The manager ask why and I told him the rooms are not suitable for a family stay. He would only give me my money for the next day that I had booked. This is one of the worst hotel thant I have ever seen.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is the closest hotel to the Great Lakes Naval Station and receives a great amount of business on Thursdays and Fridays for the Naval Graduations. There were only 6 irons for the whole hotel, which has 57 rooms. Please be mindful that every room had an ironing board....I didn't get this at all! The hotel was at capacity during our stay both Thursday and Friday nights. We were unable to utilize an iron, which we requested Thursday night and Friday morning before the graduation, because the guests who had them did not have the common courtesy of returning them in a timely manner and the gentleman at the front desk refused to go to their rooms and request for their return.

That was just part of it! There is only one microwave on the premises in the breakfast area, which I did not partake in, because the food was not appealing. I ate out the previous night and I wanted to warm my food, but the front desk attendant allowed a guest to take the ONLY microwave to their room.....HUH? This was the most absurd thing that I have heard.

My room rate was incorrect when we checked in and I was informed that the manager would be notified, which we did not hear from at all during our 3 nights stay. I did not have time to wait during our check out, because we had a flight to catch.

I am truly disappointed at this hotel location, not the chain, because I have stayed at other locations with no problem before. This location is servicing family members of the Navy and this is the best that they can do? I made my complaint known to the hotel chain who forwarded the information to the location’s management. I was promised a response by yesterday, which I have not heard from at this time.

By the way, the pictures THEY posted are not what the hotel really looks like!

Room Tip: Select a room on the second floor way from the ice machine. I stayed on the first floor and I heard...
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Chicago
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Super 8 Gurnee
Super 8 Gurnee
#8 of 11 in Gurnee

Been to Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago? Share your experiences!