“Best Stay Ever”

Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Chicago
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I worked for the railroad in Washington state for three years and stayed at Days Inns all over the west coast. By far Days Inn Great Lakes has had the best customer service and cleanliness. My stay was for twelve days, eleven nights and i was impressed at the smiles and friendly service I was greeted with. The room I stayed in was extremely clean. The only complaint I have is that I had to leave. I came here for my fiances graduation and being only 1.6 miles from the naval base was a plus I was able to spend more time with her. The breakfast was a pleasant thing to be woken up to the smell just fills the air. If I ever come back to the area I will be sure to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David S

Reviewed November 6, 2011

My room was dirty I had handprints on the wall, my shower curtain had stains on them, the bathroom ceiling had rust on it, there is no fridge or microwave and if you want those things you have to pay an extra $10 a night for it. I had a terrible smell in my room and was worse when I needed to turn on the the heater. I booked it because they said that they remodeled the rooms and had new carpet but my carpet had stains. My husband graduated from Navy bootcamp so I booked it because they had a "shuttle" that took you to the base, it was really just a cab. I also heard what was going on in the next room over and what was going on in the hall way. I felt like I didn't have any privacy. I will say MOST of the staff was nice and friendly. The breakfast was not anything great and had limited choices. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cortney B
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were a little nervous about making reservations here because of some reviews but the price and location seemed perfect so we went for it. We are so glad we did. The people were very nice,our rooms were very clean,and the breakfast was great!!Also the location was perfect and you did not have to make a U turn on 41 all you have to do is go left out the side road entrance and this takes you out to 137 which is the road the Naval Base is on.

Room Tip: Back end of Hotel away from the highway are much quiter
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Nancy C
DaysInnLakeBluff, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2011

We are glad your enjoyed your stay! We appreciate your feedback. Hope to see you soon. Thanks!

Reviewed October 6, 2011

We definitely enjoyed our stay at the Days Inn in Great Lakes. The lobby had a pleasant scent and was inviting. the front desk was very pleasant and helpful with all of our questions. the rooms were very nice and cozy. The best part is that they are just 1 mile from the base which allowed us to spend more time with our son who graduated from the Great Lakes Naval Base. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: request a king or 2 queen,
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank navydad2011
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Our son graduated from the Naval Academy in December of 2010. For his graduation, we stayed at the Days Inn Great Lakes for 2 nights. The rooms were a bit dated and, well, a bit dirty. Apparently, they were short on cleaning staff during our stay. As a matter of fact, we were not able to check in until several hours after the check in time because they were unable to clean our room in time. We didn’t mind too much because it gave us a chance to visit Milwaukee for the first time. One thing to note, even after visiting Milwaukee for a few hours, our room was still not ready. The person behind the front desk was very friendly and apologetic and we eventually were able to get into our room. There really isn’t much around this location regarding dining (as far as we could tell). We actually had to drive around a bit to find a decent place to eat. The continental breakfast was not very good. They were out of coffee both mornings. We don’t plan on returning to Great Lakes, but if we do, we will more than likely look for other accommodations. The only upside to this location is that it is fairly close to the Naval Academy.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We did not end up staying here and did receive a refund but I feel like its my duty to protect others if possible from experiencing the fear and disgust that my family did. The fact that there was a man in his pajamas smoking and talking on his cell phone blocking the front entrance didn't showcase the place very well. Then as we hesitantly started in the city police drove through the parking lot as if they were looking for someone. We were exhausted from travel, stormy weather in hopes of a clean bed mostly. Not to be found at this slum, there were hairs on the sheets, stains (blood?) on the blanket and the floors were so dirty that I was in fear of contracting an infectious disease by walking bare footed! The smoke detector had been ripped from the ceiling, the room and furnishings were in pitiful disrepair-and they charge $100 a night for this ghetto! As we were going through the hall there were noises coming from behind doors that still run a chill down my spine thinking what was happening on the other side of those doors.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sweetsouthern_grace
Reviewed June 18, 2011

The check-in time is at 3pm, not 2pm like some hotel websites state. But that was no problem, the front desk person was very friendly and accomodating, offering a King bed room that was already clean instead of 2 queens. The service was great! They were friendly at both check in and check out.
The room was a bit dated, but it didn't really bother me. It was clean and stocked with plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, etc. However, when taking a shower you had the choice of really hot or really cold. The water shuts off if you leave the faucet set in the middle. That was quite obnoxious, but when paying $50 a night I got over it.
The remote for the tv was also broken. It would only work if you entered in the exact channel number rather than hitting the channel + or - buttons.
Overall, the hotel was alright. I think I would stay again if I headed to the area. Just don't expect anything too lavish.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee

Been to Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago? Share your experiences!