“Very Average, Nothing More, Nothing Less”

Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Chicago
Houston, Texas
“Very Average, Nothing More, Nothing Less”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Our son graduated from the Naval Academy in December of 2010. For his graduation, we stayed at the Days Inn Great Lakes for 2 nights. The rooms were a bit dated and, well, a bit dirty. Apparently, they were short on cleaning staff during our stay. As a matter of fact, we were not able to check in until several hours after the check in time because they were unable to clean our room in time. We didn’t mind too much because it gave us a chance to visit Milwaukee for the first time. One thing to note, even after visiting Milwaukee for a few hours, our room was still not ready. The person behind the front desk was very friendly and apologetic and we eventually were able to get into our room. There really isn’t much around this location regarding dining (as far as we could tell). We actually had to drive around a bit to find a decent place to eat. The continental breakfast was not very good. They were out of coffee both mornings. We don’t plan on returning to Great Lakes, but if we do, we will more than likely look for other accommodations. The only upside to this location is that it is fairly close to the Naval Academy.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We did not end up staying here and did receive a refund but I feel like its my duty to protect others if possible from experiencing the fear and disgust that my family did. The fact that there was a man in his pajamas smoking and talking on his cell phone blocking the front entrance didn't showcase the place very well. Then as we hesitantly started in the city police drove through the parking lot as if they were looking for someone. We were exhausted from travel, stormy weather in hopes of a clean bed mostly. Not to be found at this slum, there were hairs on the sheets, stains (blood?) on the blanket and the floors were so dirty that I was in fear of contracting an infectious disease by walking bare footed! The smoke detector had been ripped from the ceiling, the room and furnishings were in pitiful disrepair-and they charge $100 a night for this ghetto! As we were going through the hall there were noises coming from behind doors that still run a chill down my spine thinking what was happening on the other side of those doors.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank sweetsouthern_grace
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 18, 2011

The check-in time is at 3pm, not 2pm like some hotel websites state. But that was no problem, the front desk person was very friendly and accomodating, offering a King bed room that was already clean instead of 2 queens. The service was great! They were friendly at both check in and check out.
The room was a bit dated, but it didn't really bother me. It was clean and stocked with plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, etc. However, when taking a shower you had the choice of really hot or really cold. The water shuts off if you leave the faucet set in the middle. That was quite obnoxious, but when paying $50 a night I got over it.
The remote for the tv was also broken. It would only work if you entered in the exact channel number rather than hitting the channel + or - buttons.
Overall, the hotel was alright. I think I would stay again if I headed to the area. Just don't expect anything too lavish.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Mississippi
Reviewed March 17, 2011

We had reservations (no pun intended) about this hotel at first because of some of the negative reviews. But the location to the naval base where my son was graduating was great and the price was excellent. We had a few concerns about the breakfast and the unavailability of some breakfast items and the lack of a microwave in our room. However, one word to the management and these things were cleared up pronto! I can not complain about the service at all--it definitely made our stay worthwhile. We would certainly stay here again as long as Javin is available to address customer concerns!!!
Joyce from Mississippi

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Don't understand some of the bad reviews. My husband and I had a great room. It was very clean. The room was comfortable and cozy and nice. The continental breakfast had waffles, different kinds of cereals, eggs and different kinds of fruit, with juice and coffee. You could not have asked for friendlier workers. They were faboulous and great to talk to. Had a wonderful time and enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loriunicorn41
Hermiston, Oregon
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Booked this hotel with a travel agent. It was absolutely horrid! Rude lady at the counter when we first arrived. Keys didn't work after we checked in to get into our room. Door to outside entrance was completely broken, making it accessible to anyone. Room was small and dirty. Called the travel agent and told them our safety concerns. REFUSED to even stay the first night. Thankfully we were only out 1 night fee, we were refunded our additional two nights. There for my son's Navy graduation and was so disappointed! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY IT'S A COMPLETE DIVE! They should rent their rooms by the hour.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cmrequa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 13, 2010

For the price you pay, this is exactly what you should expect. I booked on hotels.com at $44/night for 3 nights. I wasn't really given choice of room type aside from the number of beds in the room. I had a smoking king room. When I got there I asked if I could have a non-smoking instead. They were sold out, which was understandable since it was 4th of July weekend, so there wasn't one available. I checked into my room on the 2nd floor, and was pleasantly surprised. My room didn't smell like smoke and the only difference I could tell was that there was an ashtray on the bedside table. Overall the room was clean and I had what I needed. I forgot a tooth brush and was able to get one from the desk.
The breakfast wasn't 5-star, but there was food as promised. They had cereal, poptarts, coffee, and milk. Not a lot of options, but at least there was something. It's right next to a McDonald's, though.
The hotel is right on Skokie Highway and really close to the Naval Base so it's great if that's what you're in town for.
The staff was very friendly. I lost my phone and the guy at the desk was very helpful in letting me back in the room and even took my fiance's number so he could call if it was found. Any time during my stay that I needed help, they were able to assist me. Definitely a plus.

I'm not going to say this is the best hotel ever, but if you're saving money and need a bed, this is just what you need.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee

Been to Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago? Share your experiences!