“accommodating management” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Chicago
Mississippi
“accommodating management”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

We had reservations (no pun intended) about this hotel at first because of some of the negative reviews. But the location to the naval base where my son was graduating was great and the price was excellent. We had a few concerns about the breakfast and the unavailability of some breakfast items and the lack of a microwave in our room. However, one word to the management and these things were cleared up pronto! I can not complain about the service at all--it definitely made our stay worthwhile. We would certainly stay here again as long as Javin is available to address customer concerns!!!
Joyce from Mississippi

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

Don't understand some of the bad reviews. My husband and I had a great room. It was very clean. The room was comfortable and cozy and nice. The continental breakfast had waffles, different kinds of cereals, eggs and different kinds of fruit, with juice and coffee. You could not have asked for friendlier workers. They were faboulous and great to talk to. Had a wonderful time and enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loriunicorn41
Hermiston, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

Booked this hotel with a travel agent. It was absolutely horrid! Rude lady at the counter when we first arrived. Keys didn't work after we checked in to get into our room. Door to outside entrance was completely broken, making it accessible to anyone. Room was small and dirty. Called the travel agent and told them our safety concerns. REFUSED to even stay the first night. Thankfully we were only out 1 night fee, we were refunded our additional two nights. There for my son's Navy graduation and was so disappointed! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY IT'S A COMPLETE DIVE! They should rent their rooms by the hour.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cmrequa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

For the price you pay, this is exactly what you should expect. I booked on hotels.com at $44/night for 3 nights. I wasn't really given choice of room type aside from the number of beds in the room. I had a smoking king room. When I got there I asked if I could have a non-smoking instead. They were sold out, which was understandable since it was 4th of July weekend, so there wasn't one available. I checked into my room on the 2nd floor, and was pleasantly surprised. My room didn't smell like smoke and the only difference I could tell was that there was an ashtray on the bedside table. Overall the room was clean and I had what I needed. I forgot a tooth brush and was able to get one from the desk.
The breakfast wasn't 5-star, but there was food as promised. They had cereal, poptarts, coffee, and milk. Not a lot of options, but at least there was something. It's right next to a McDonald's, though.
The hotel is right on Skokie Highway and really close to the Naval Base so it's great if that's what you're in town for.
The staff was very friendly. I lost my phone and the guy at the desk was very helpful in letting me back in the room and even took my fiance's number so he could call if it was found. Any time during my stay that I needed help, they were able to assist me. Definitely a plus.

I'm not going to say this is the best hotel ever, but if you're saving money and need a bed, this is just what you need.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HopeE_10
SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

If you know what's good for you, don't waste your money there. Although it is only about a mile from RTC, driving longer with better hotel is worth it. There were spiders in the room. The Continental breakfast was a joke. The bed was hard and on a slope. No cups were in the room. The TV contrast and brightness was horrible. The TV had burn marks from cigarettes on it, the curtains had holes in them. The night stand was chipping horribly and something that Goodwill wouldn't accept. They would never leave enough towels and wash clothes. The toilet had a piece of wood covering the water basin rather than a regular ceramic lid. The first thing I noticed when walking into the room was a strong burnt smell. The list goes on and on, I simply don't recommend staying at this slum hotel. Stay at your own risk. However, the staff was nice and did listen to your complaints. If I were you, and you're reading this take my word for it, drive a bit longer to get to your kid's graduation and have a good stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raywebber
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

I have no idea what the others were disappointed in,but things must have changed since then. I rented this room for 4 adults, which were all satisfied with the cleanliness and size of the room. My son was graduating from the navy and the location is perfect for getting there in time to aquire a good seat. The staff was very pleasant and took care of all my needs. I was hot and in the middle of winter asked for a fan in my room. The staff hunted a fan down, cleaned it to look as if it were brand new and brought it to me. I have absolutely NO complaints and very much enjoyed my stay. When I left my son kept the room and they transfered it to his name so he would not have to leave it when I left for home.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

We had booked reservations on the internet for the dates 05/07-05/10, 2009 received confirmation on a dbl queen, non-smoking room. This was for 3 adults. We drove 950 miles only to arrive find out there were no dbl queen beds w/non-smoking. We were given a dbl queen smoking. This was not acceptable. The only other roon was a king bed w/jacuuzy no folded beds avail. We had no choice, but to go with this my son had to sleep on the floor for 3 nights. The last night, 05/10 they had a fold-out bed, but it sagged in the middle. They also only provided 2 towels 05/08 05/09 no towels on 05/10, we had to ask for more towels. There was no coffee maker in the room either. I find this appalling.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MID1979
DaysInnGreatLakes, owner at Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago, responded to this review, May 29, 2009
The afternoon of this reservation, we had a plumbing issue in the room directly above the room assigned to this particular customer. Unfortunately, we usually book up weeks in advance and all non-smoking double queens are usually the first to go. We did everything we could to accommodate, offering suggestions of alternatives which included sterilizing a smoking room to convert it to a non-smoking room (steam-cleaning carpets, changing to non-smoking linens and mattress, etc). Plumbing issues arise from time to time, however we'd rather have a dry customer than a wet one.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Chicago
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee

Been to Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago? Share your experiences!