“For the old folks”

Ranked #1 of 38 Restaurants in North Aurora
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

It's a town staple that has been here for years, and there is always a wait for a table. The portions are huge, but, that being said, you will be getting quantity over quality. There is an all you can eat salad bar, but I avoid it due to its lack of a sneeze guard. Their pig roast is good, but their sides are extremely average. My husband's family loves their coffeecake, but other than that, the bakery items look better than they taste. There are always many seniors dining here. It's reliable 'stick to your ribs' food, and a good value for your food dollar.

1  Thank D C

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Not fancy....but excellent homecooked food. Large menu. Everthing is great including soup and salad bar. Love the bakery too. Hard to find a real fresh bakery these days and Harners has a great one. Staff is friendly too.

1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This has to be my favorite place to have breakfast food. I've never actually eaten another meal there, but they definitely know how to do breakfast. The baked good and donuts smell amazing when you walk in the door. Hard to resist taking some home.

1  Thank VMC230
Reviewed July 28, 2013

While visiting family in the area we passed Harner's and I started to reminisce about frequenting Harners bakery while growing up. They always had the best cookies. I remember their first location on Galena, and their larger restaurant at Northgate Plaza before they moved to North Aurora. As I was telling my family about this I made a u-turn and ended up buying a box of cookies. Later that day we returned for dinner. We had to laugh because I haven't been here in 20 years and now twice in one day.

During my travels I prefer small family owned restaurants over large chains. The food here is good but nothing extraordinary. We had arrived near the end of the day (Monday) so unfortunately for us the kitchen was out of many selections. I saw this as an indication of the restaurant's popularity. The dining room had been packed earlier. The service was very good and as it happens our waitress was one of the owners.

Before leaving we ordered more cookies 'for the road'. My wife knows I have an affinity to sugur cookies but none have ever compared to the ones I ate from Harners while growing up. These are just the same today as they were years ago. Now my family understands, having experienced the slightly crisp yet soft texture, and not too sweet.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I found out about this place from a friend and it always has been very good and been going for several years and never had an issue. I am sorry to hear the family with the special needs person had a bad experience. There are always samples in the bakery and the front counter which is always nice to get a free treat. I will continue to be a regular and hope new customers reading this will too.

2  Thank 25Bud