“Authenic German Food”
Review of Edelweiss

Edelweiss
Reserve with OpenTable
Edelweiss is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 62 Restaurants in Norridge
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Family Fun
Chicago, Illinois
“Authenic German Food”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Looks like you're in Germany as soon as you walk in. The pretzels are amazing and all the food I've tried has been delicious since they changed. The german dumplings get me everytime. Weiss beer is delicious here as well. :)

• Visited March 2013

Des Plaines, Illinois
“Schnitzel !”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I went to Edelweiss. She had passed by it for years and not we went.
I liked the German restaurant look. Our waitress Michelle H. was great. She was very attentive,we enjoyed her. I ordered the Chicken Schnizel lunch. I settled for the German Fries as my side dish. I was torn between the spatsle or the red Cabbage. Luckily Michelle brought me a small taste of teh Red cabbage. I am stil torn between all 3 choices so that means a return trip is in the futures. My wife had the Potato Pancakes that she enjoyed. Michelle was a new waitress. I enjoyed the quaint atmosphere and the food was very good. We will be back!! We are going back for the brunch, it looks inviting! Thank you!

• Visited June 2013
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Gemuetlich and authentic”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I was on a stop-over in O'Hare for one night and the hotel I stayed at listed Edelweiss as a close restaurant. Since I am German I figured it was a good idea. Wow... the food was as authentic as it gets. The noise level was very low, so you can actually have a conversation. One important tip: The main menu does not show the desert items. SAVE ROOM FOR DESERT! I recommend the Apfelstrudel.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Nordie200
Matt K, Owner at Edelweiss, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
I would like to thank you for providing your feedback about your dining experience at the Edelweiss restaurant. We strive to make every dining experience unique and enjoyable. It is our goal to serve the highest quality food and provide the best possible service all at the greatest value to our guests. Once again thank you for your wonderful review and have a great day!
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Standard German Fare Mit Gemütlichkeit”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Edelweiss hosted a very special event honoring my father's 80th Birthday. I must give them credit for being a really nice venue and providing a pleasant atmosphere for "der Alte" and his family. The management and staff worked hard to provide planning assistance, and was vey hospitable and patient and helpful throughout the evening.

The layout of the Restaurant allows larger parties to gather together, and we were comfortably seated at four tables (a party of 31). Things were not so crowded that we felt infringed upon by other groups, which was good for conversation and mingling. There was live German music (solo) that made for a good backdrop to this party.

We were too big a group to be comfortably accommodated at most restaurants and too small a group to justify renting a hall. Since my family is of German heritage, the setting was prefect. An added benefit to us was that Edelweiss offers a family style menu option, which was ideally suited to our situation.

If there is a significant shortcoming of note, it is the food. It is not bad, but it is decidedly average. This is, in my opinion, NOT a matter of food quality, but a matter of preparation and presentation that was better suited to a cafeteria than a good German restaurant. To put it bluntly, this was not like Grandma cooked her food. In fact, I cannot recall every eating German food so uninteresting and plain -- ever. The chef -- assuming that there is one, not just a cook -- needs to get some culinary training. If they did that, and added some credible German dessert items, this place would be packed on a Saturday night, not more than half empty.

The prices were reasonable -- with beer, wine, taxes and gratuity, we had an enjoyable gathering at slightly less than $40 per head. But I think the proprietor is missing an opportunity here. With some aggressive changes, this could be more than "very good".

By the way, this is closer to a 3.5/5.0 -- it gets the benefit of meeting our needs efficiently, with a reservation concerning the rather "standard" cooking.

• Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“GREAT ALL AROUND EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is the best German food and atmosphere you could ask for. Portions are VERY large and beer selection is out of this world. Staff waits on you for every need and very helpful explaining the menu. Would highly recommend for anyone looking for REAL AUTHENTIC GERMAN FOOD or just a cold beer!!! Dont forget the new sunday breakfast they are now offering!!

• Visited January 2013

Been to Edelweiss? Share your experiences!