“Not visually appealing”

Ranked #6 of 62 Restaurants in Norridge
Cuisines: Italian
“Not visually appealing”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I went into this establishment today seeing DDD had been there. However I was not at all impressed with the food. The buffet style food looked like a typical buffet. The food looked dry and not appealing. I resigned myself to getting a Italian Beef sandwich. Which was truly just a roast beef sandwich with very little meat. The roast beef was nothing special and the beef juice was not a very good. Tasted more of bell peppers then a good blend of spices. When I mentioned that it was really just a roast beef sandwich I was spoken to like I had no clue what I was talking about. I would never go back and would never refer it to another person. The ceiling needs work as well. Tiles missing, water spots on many of the tiles, however the open tiles near the counter is in my opinion a health hazard. The glory days of this place seem to be behind them.

Chicago, Illinois
“Finally tried it, excellent”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I always heard about this place but let the strip mall location and lack of "bling" persuade me not to go. We went with a groupon and it was great. Im so upset that I waited so long to get in here. The good and service were excellent. It is a deli type set up so there is not a lot of seating, going with a bigger group might be an issue. Lunch or early dinner will not disappoint and you can bring stuff home with you from the deli.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Teahan
Council Bluffs, Iowa
“Best Italian family food!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stopped in Rex's after we saw it on DDD. Wow were we glad we stopped! They have a huge variety of food from salads to pastas to deserts and even fresh meats in the deli to take home! The food was authentic homemade and tasted fantastic! Even better was the atmosphere. We started talking to people and before we knew it it was like we were treated like family. They have tons of food to choose from, samples to tempt your taste buds and great people working there that made the entire visit awesome! We are planning to go back to Chicago and definately make a stop at Rex's!

• Visited February 2013
illinois
“Authentic fresh Italian food”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Brought the kids for Sunday lunch. Had the artichoke foccacia and polenta. Themarinara sauce on the polenta was delicious and the polenta was velvety smooth. Hubby had chicken prostada also delicious and huge. Kids had stracciata (sp?) Which is like a calzone but too delicate and delicious to describe. We took calzones and leftovers home for dinner. They also have frozen foods to take home. A must try for authentic Sicilian specialties. Was featured on triple D.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank illinois101
Chicago, Illinois
“One of the best Italian Delis around”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Rex has a wide variety of prepared meals and deli meats. They have a sandwich type item which is unbelieveable...I think it was the panzerotti. I also took home a couple of calzones which are a great value at 3.99 each. There are always free samples and a ton of homemade pastas and sauces if you want to grab something for dinner at home. This is always a good stop if you're near o'hare and want some great Italian food.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank JimJ321

Been to Rex Italian? Share your experiences!