“Central Location”

Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Von Maur Drive
Description: DESTIHL(R) Restaurant - Normal is two amazing worlds merged into one: the fusion of craft beer and artisan foods. We are a growing gastrobrewpubTM concept which creatively combines and reinvents craft beer and full-flavored dishes from America's melting pot using many local ingredients and both modern and traditional techniques. Our mission is to fill our gastrobrewpubs with fun, energy and passion for great artisan food and beers while providing a 'down to earth', high level of service.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Decent restaurant located in mall near Hampton Inn, Target, and good selection of stores. Walmart and other shops close by. Menu is O.K. but a bit limited. Food and service are good though it can be a little expensive for waht you get. Food is very nicely presented.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Destihl is a favorite dependable place for a casual business lunch or a relaxed after-work gathering. The brewery is first-rate with a proclivity toward Belgian styles. The menu is "gastropub" with great Kobe burgers, fun flat-bread pizzas, and a surprisingly good weekend brunch menu.

2  Thank jericholake
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Don't get me wrong. I grew up in "Corn Country" and I still consider it part of my makeup, but I've come to expect restaurants in rural places to cater to middle American, comfort style tastes (think corner cafés or maybe Cracker Barrel on the corporate side).

Destihl will never be mistaken for Cracker Barrel. They have maybe a dozen beers on draught, presumably all made on site, that cover an impressive range ("Lawnmower Beer" to "Mango IPA"). The beers are sold in 4, 12, and 16 oz servings, with no apparent price penalty for the smaller sizes, so it's easy to try several in one meal/visit. I tried four and liked them all, and I'd love to go back and try more. All were tight, quick finishing beers, with distinctive but not obtrusive flavors, and none of the "extract" artifacts that I've come to expect from brewpubs just cashing in on the current wide interest.

The food menu is equally ambitious, and delivers on its promise. We had five dishes between us, with no disappointments and again inspiring the hope to come back and keep working through the menu. I had a shrimp ceviche, red chili pork, and pumpkin bread pudding, plus I tasted my wife's shredded Brussels sprout salad and chipotle shrimp skewers. All great. I'm dying to try the duck confit pot pie.

And the place was packed on a Saturday afternoon, so I'm guessing it's a local favorite. I saw patrons that looked like hard core craft beer fans, as well as families taking a break from shopping or whatnot, and all sorts of people enjoying the place. Our server was friendly and knowledgable. The place is easy to get to with lots of convenient parking.

1  Thank RoadHungry
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Picked this spot because TripAdvisor reviews were good and it was near where I was staying. I wasn't disappointed! I chose a nice light Belgian-style beer to try (it was lovely) and the Pastrami Reuben to go with it. The cranberry/oat/nut bread was amazing and the pastrami/cheese/sauerkraut mix was just right. I liked the German style mustard on the sandwich,but if you haven't tried it, ask them to put it on the side. It's strong stuff so most people either love it or hate it.

Service was great, I had no wait and my server Stephanie seemed to handle everything in good time and with a positive, can-do attitude. I would definitely go back again on my next trip.

1  Thank Wanderwitch
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I had made a reservation for Saturday October 12th. I made many calls to the restaurant making changes to our reservation. I changed our dining time twice and changed the number in our party from 16 to 19. Never once did the hostess give me grief for making so many changes. They were very accommodating and assured me that they would “make it work” and didn’t mind all my changes.

We arrived and our table for 19 was all set up and the gals at the hostess stand seemed thrilled that we had chosen Destihl for our group dinner. Our server was fantastic handled our party of 19 with ease. She easily answered questions about the beer and food menus. The menu is large with something for everyone. The Burgers got rave reviews as did the Jambalaya and the Beer Battered cod. Some of the entrees were on the small side such as the salmon, scallops, shrimp, and the Ancho Chicken salad. The atmosphere was warm and inviting.

We will return to Destihl due to the great service we received from start to finish!

1  Thank Supercleaner64