“Nice campus hangout with good food”
Review of Maggie Miley's

Maggie Miley's
Ranked #7 of 114 Restaurants in Normal
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Nice campus hangout with good food”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Maggie Miley's is a carefully reconstructed Irish pub. The food is excellent--I had the boxty. My son and his friend both had hamburgers which they loved. It's obviously a very popular place with the ISU crowd of drinking age. We were there on a Saturday night and it was packed. That made the noise level higher than I would like, but it you'd like a lively bar scene with good food and Irish music, you couldn't do better. This isn't a spot I'd recommend for a quiet, romantic dinner, but then, that's not what pubs are supposed to be.

Visited November 2013

Melbourne, Florida
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Maggie’s is simply a great traditional Irish Pub with good selection of beer and pub fare. Service is friendly and efficient. Great place for a casual meal or just a cold beer.

Visited October 2013
Bloomington, Illinois
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

As a former resident of the UK and having experience working in a pub dating back to the 1700s, I was disappointed in my entire experience. We shared our observations with the Manager for what it was worth. I do have to credit him for removing the food off of our bill. We initially told the waitress that we were displeased with our meal and she did nothing. Not good customer service.

First, I thought that our Guinness was served too cold. Now, I recognize this would probably not be an issue for most Americans, but having it served at the proper temperature for many years while a resident in the UK (and as a bar keep), I know what to expect. The manager staunchly said that it was served at the recommended temperature that Guinness suggests. Seemed very cold, even near the end of the meal.

Both my wife and my meals were disappointing. My wife had the fish & chips which was more breading than fish. It was also over cooked. Instead of a crisp golden color, it was a brown burnt color. The chips were typical french fires that were most probably frozen. They were chewy and had not taste. My bangers and mash was also disappointing. The bangers were acceptable. However the potatoes had the consistency of instant potatoes and had no taste. The same was true for the gravy. It tasted as though it was made from a Knorr packet. It had little taste. Neither meal was very appetizing but we ate it because we were both hungry.

Bottom line.... this meal was very disappointing. On a more positive note, I have had the Sheperds Pie in the past. It was better. However, I would warn that if you are expecting a truly authentic experience or for this food to be like food you had in the UK or Ireland it will disappoint.

• Visited October 2013
Roswell, GA
“Delicious Shephard's Pie”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Maggie Miley's is one of my favorite places to visit when I'm in Bloomington-Normal. The atmosphere is seems very authentic and the food/drink are delicious. Try the Shepard's Pie and a cider w/ a shot of black currant liquor. YUM!

Visited September 2013
Tipton, Missouri
“Authentic Irish on the Plains of Illinois”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

What a find as we ventured off the Interstate. Located in a two block area where restaurants and bars abound is this authentic Irish restaurant, designed in Ireland, and featuring a true Irish menu.
My partner, Joyce, had a great half order for her lunch of Shepard's Pie and I had what was billed as a typical and true Irish Breakfast with two eggs exquisitely prepared with three Irish sausages and a slab of Irish bacon. All was delicious. The seasoning for the pie is secret. Darn that is too bad. The servers were informed, and the food was excellent. Of course the decor was true Irish. Only one wish: It was closer than 4 hours from our home. This place is a WOW!

• Visited September 2013