“They gave away my room”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Normal
SF bay area
“They gave away my room”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I arrived in a snowstorm, dealing with cancelled flights. Waiting 45 minutes for a cab to get to this hotel from the airport. On arriving I was told they were sold out and had given my reservation to someone with status in their membership program.

I would have given it one star, but their excellent front desk person Lena found me a very good substitute hotel and drove me there in her own car.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank emememSFbayarea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
illinois
Reviewed December 29, 2009

we stay at the candlewood motel every time we visit the area.we have family that lives in bloomington.We have tried lots of the motels in bloomington/normal area and they do not seem to be as clean and nice as the candlewood.One person complained about the ice maker on this site but i guess they can not turn off the icemaker as there is a switch to turn it off.we have stayed here several times and will stay here every time we visit the area. if you do the advanced reservation you will get a discount also sign up for the priority club at priorityclub.com its free.I worked as a maid in the area several years ago ,i know my motels in this area. try candlewood i believe you will agree with me.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mama2005
Mississippi
Reviewed August 3, 2009

My family stayed at Candlewood while my husband was attending a business meeting in Normal. I didn't know what to expect since we've never stayed at a Candlewood before. We were quite impressed. The rooms were larger than we expected, the bed was comfortable, and the place was quiet even though it was filled with construction workers. I loved the free laundry facility. We needed a plunger one evening and I was surprised to find that the hotel had only one plunger and it was broken. We had to wait for a staff member to purchase one at Walmart, but they were friendly and the problem was solved quickly. We ate most of our meals in our suite and loved how Meiers and Walmart were just across the street. Panerra bread was next door as well! Great stay and I would stay there again when we are in the area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank KathyMississippi
Colorado
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Stayed here 3 nights while visiting family in the area. The hotel was very clean and comfortable, staff were helpful. Rooms were spacious with full kitchens. Bedding was crisp and towels were large and absorbent. Room rates were reasonable. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank ALARN
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed November 14, 2007

I booked this hotel because it is the newest property in the area, and I stay alot with Holiday Inn-related properties. The rooms and common areas are really gorgeous, state-of-the art. Tasteful, modern furnishings in the rooms, flat panel TVs, cherry cabinets and a huge work desk/kitchen table. Business center, fitness center, laundry--all you need for a longer-term stay. Very comfortable beds too.

However, the drawback here is they obviously did little on the soundproofing end. You hear everything--VERY thin ceilings and walls. And one of hotel pet peeves--no spring on the room door to slow it down when it closes behind you--so there's always a BANG and it slams behind you. If you stay here, be sure to bring a good set of earplugs.

Normally I stay on top floors to avoid heavy feet and noisy neighbors above. But here, they made the top floor (4th) a smoking floor, so it wasn't possible and I'm a non-smoker. What boneheads came up with that idea I don't know, but the top floor is relatively empty while most people (nonsmokers) are all in the lower floors. If you are a smoker, you should be just fine here.

So, beautiful, immaculate, well-kept and appointed--but I personally would not stay here again. Holiday Inn Express next door may be a better choice in this price range.

• Liked — Newness
  • Disliked — NOISE, thin walls & ceilings
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank hotelreviewer333
Also consider these accommodations in or near Normal
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal
Comfort Suites Bloomington Normal
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal
Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Courtyard Bloomington Normal

Been to Candlewood Suites Bloomington-Normal? Share your experiences!