Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
  • Pool
$120
$104
Travelocity
All reviewsthe concierge loungefront deskparking garagecoffee shopacross the streethotel restaurantfull service hotelillinois state universityisu campuscollege townattached garagenicest hotelpresidential suitetrain tracksrestaurants and barsrooms are spaciouswedding reception
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We were at this hotel for a sporting event in May. The hotel is very nice, although I did have some customer service issues with the front desk because of a problem with my reservations. The staff did not do a great job of handling the situation but it was resolved in end. The rooms are nice - not super big but good toiletries. The pool and workout room were fairly large and nice. We were able to walk to a number of restaurants which were good. The campus was dead which was too bad because it would have made the town a little more exciting.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your stay. I have shared your review with my front office staff as well. My apologies that the reservation concerns were not fixed as quick and as efficient as they should have been, but happy that they were able to resolve them in the end.

I hope you get to come visit us again soon, there are several new buildings being developed in Uptown Normal and it is becoming quite the fun spot even when school is not in session.

Please feel free to email me directly if I can ever be of assistance. jeff.pritts@jqh.com

Sincerely

Reviewed June 23, 2010

Hotel is well put together and well run. Property is new so almost everything works.
good location, very good staff, food could be better, rooms are well designed with exception of bathroom sink (if you're short - you have to stand on something to reach it).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Thank you so much for the great review. I hope next time you're back you will give our food another shot. We are currently ranked #9 out of 337 Suburban Marriott's in food quality so I am confident your next visit will be better. Please let me know when you're coming in and I will personally come introduce myself and help to make sure your stay is another great one.

Reviewed June 15, 2010

We stayed at the new Marriott for a wedding and were very impressed. My husband is an ISU alumni and is amazed by the transformation of Normal. The Marriott seems like a great addition to the revamped Normal/campus area.

We were both impressed with the design and overall appearance of the Marriott. The staff was impeccable and very helpful. Also, the wedding reception was actually at the Marriott and we found the service and food to be above average.

We only had a few small complaints about the Marriott and feel that most of them will be worked out as the hotel becomes more established. First, it was impossible to maintain the temperature in our room. While it was hot outside, it was next to impossible to keep our room cool. Secondly, we stayed on the concierge level and were unable to access the concierge services. I am aware that the weekend offers limited concierge service hours, but we were unable to access them period.

Overall, we would recommend the Marriott and feel that it's a great addition to Normal.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us regarding your stay. It is always great to read our customer reviews good and bad on Trip Advisor, they all help us to continue to get better. I have our chief engineer looking into your room air, it is the only complaint I have received this last week, so i'm thinking it was something wrong with that individual room. Again I appreciate you letting us know so we can fix it. The conconcierge is open Sunday thru Thursday night and Monday thru Friday morning and is closed completely on the weekends. If you ever can't get in during those hours it is most likely the room key access needs to be redone at the desk.

Thanks again for staying with us and be sure to stop by and ask for me so i can come out and say hello next time you visit.

Reviewed May 24, 2010

I am so sorry I have to write this review. This hotel has so much promise, but fails to deliver. My colleagues and I were so excited when this hotel opened in the area because we travel here for business and there are so few options in the area. We are here ALL the time and bring this hotel a great deal of business. There are some great things about the hotel...love the lounge where you can plug-in and work, the food is pretty good, love the desks in the rooms that swivel out and the nicer new decor, etc. There are staff members that I REALLY like at the hotel, most of which work in the restaurant and/or room service. They are the ones that take customer service seriously and remember details about me, after staying here 23 nights this year.

However, the housekeeping at this hotel is really lackluster and unfortunately the little things add up over so many stays. Every night I have stayed here there has been SOMETHING...whether it's arriving into a room with the toilet unflushed, hair on the floor, M&Ms found in an ice bucket from a previous guest, hair on a pillow, and so on...or something very minor like forgetting to restock the towels and bathroom items (I had no wash cloths when I checked in yesterday). The housekeeping when staying multiple days is odd. I thought about calling to ask if there was a different policy for repeat overnight guests because it is so bad. I'm fine with not changing the sheets and all that, but I do expect the bed to look freshly made and smooth. Sometimes it just looks like they pulled up the covers. In one word I describe housekeeping at this hotel as LAZY and not at all detail-oriented. They don't always empty the trash on repeat visits, they almost always forget to replenish the bathroom products, even on the concierge level. There is too much too list! Honestly each occurrence has been pretty minor overall and not enough to make me switch hotels, yet. However, it's really starting to add up.

The only thing that I actually complained about was checking into two connecting rooms when I was traveling with my nanny and children for work and BOTH rooms had issues, which I mentioned before. One had hair on the bathroom floor and and unflushed toilet and the other room we found the M&Ms from a previous guest. Additionally it did not look like the surfaces had been wiped down..smudgy and oily looking. I'm really not even picky! But come on. That's just lazy. It makes me wonder with all these problems, big and small, what really happens when they "clean" the rooms. I am not sure if they do much more than make the bed and remove what appears to be the most obvious of items.

The straw that broke the camels back was tonight, and it is small, but noticable and annoying enough to compel me to write my review here. I noticed yesterday upon check-in that there were 2 conditioners but no lotion. Knowing the housekeeping is crappy here I put BOTH conditioners in the shower hoping that they would replenish the lotion. Nope. Nothing. They didn't replace anything. Also, they did not empty my trash when they cleaned my room this morning. My iced coffee still sits in the trash. Not a big deal overall, but it's the small stuff that this hotel needs to button-up.

Lastly, a couple more things

- The towel bar that is mouted on the counter below the sink. It's in the way! Hard to lean into the mirror.

- The tub height is different than the floor height, which is alarming stepping out of the shower.

- The "concierge" is not really a concierge. They weren't even able to mail something for me and told me to walk to the post office.

- Every visit I have to relay my requests again, which are a high floor room on the end away from the train station, but many times they just forget and I have to be moved.

- No movies in the rooms

All that said, I do still think this is the best option in the area. But they just need to be a little more buttoned up in the housekeeping department. Get it together people!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for letting us know about your concerns from your stay here. I know I have contacted you in person and I appreciate your time in speaking with me. I am hoping your current stay more accurately reflects our normal housekeeping. I have address all of your concerns with the rooms management team as well as the housekeepers that were responsible for your room during your last visit. Our housekeeping staff is currently ranked in the top 10% of all Suburban Marriott's by our guest on our Guest Satisfaction Survey so I am confident that your future stays will be more in line with our abilities. The front desk now has a local file in our system for you that states your room preferences. This will enable us to block the rooms you like ahead of time.

Thank you again for your continued patronage.

Reviewed May 16, 2010

I just stayed at the Marriott this weekend-- I had such a good experience I wanted to write a review. The hotel is beautiful, updated and clean. The location is great-- you can easily walk to the Amtrak station, and to many restaurants and shopping. The service was excellent (from the housekeepers to the people who worked at the front desk). I travelled there for a conference. I arrived early in the morning and was able to check in at 9:30 a.m.-- this was awesome!!! Great hotel-- will only stay there from now on!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2010

Thank you so much for the outstanding compliments! Our corporate travelers like you are so important to us and I am especially glad they were able to check you in so early in the morning so you could get your day started. Please be sure to ask for me next time you are here so that i may come out and say hello.