“Big-Time Comfort in Central Illinois” 5 of 5 bubbles

Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Normal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Big-Time Comfort in Central Illinois”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Sometimes hotels located in college towns can become overused and run down. That is NOT the case with this gem. We had stayed here one year ago and were interested to see if our great experiece from a year ago would be different...we are pleased to report that it did not. Modern furnishings flow from the lobby to your room. This, coupled with a friendly, helpful staff and well-priced room made our brief stay here consisent with our first one and exceptional. Free parking and a lobby bar with a nice selection of heavy appetizers top off a good experience. If you are visiting Bloomington-Normal or just stopping off on a longer trip, definitely take a look at this property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for the kind letter. I am proud of how hard our team works to keep our hotel looking brand new after four years. It is important to have a beautiful product to go with our outstanding team.

Jeff P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Just spent Memorial Day weekend here to attend a family wedding. Our room was spacious with many up to date amenities. Really appreciated the refrigerator and microwave in addition to the usual coffeemaker, safe, etc. Responded quickly to requests for robes and extra towels. Loaned us umbrellas for the rainy days. Able to print boarding passes in the lobby. Free parking in adjacent garage. Only complaint is having to pay for internet--we hate that!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Sounds like our team made your stay brilliant! Thank you for taking the time to share the compliments with the TA crowd.

Chinycaus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I use to call myself exclusively a Starwood SPG customer but my recent experiences at the Bloomington-Normal Marriott (as well as the Marriott Santa Clara in CA) have convinced and converted me to a loyal Marriott customer. The Bloomington-Normal Marriott has wonderful customer service. Fily, Baharch and Chantil always great me with a smile and warm welcome. The hotel is very accommodating to special dietary requests. The rooms are clean and comfortable. I was recently upgrade to presidential suite as a very generous courtesy for being a loyal satisfied customer. The hotel in Bloomington-Normal is in a great location that is walking distance to several restaurants and shops. My only minor complaint is the lack of free wifi. I am not sure why the hotel charges for this service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the great compliments - I always love when we convert another brand's loyal customers. I will be sure to share your comments with Fily, Bahrah, and Chantil - these ladies always represent us well.

Winfield, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at this Marriott on May 26th, 2013. We paid a total of $155.68 (two of us in this room ).
This was a Sunday night, and the hotel was almost empty. The size of the room was ok---but we were very disappointed to find out that a Continental Breakfast was not included with this price !!!
Also the small bottle of water in the in room fridg. was priced at $4 !!!! Then we were charged $12.95 per night if we wanted to have in room internet !!! Can you believe this !! What a rip off !
Then when I looked on the floor in our room there was a large hair clip laying on the carpet---from someone else ???(was this room cleaned properly ? )

I felt like for this price---off season---we should have received much more. I Have 10 children, and many have or are attending Schools in the area...so am planning many trips with extended family to this area.....but will never stay at this Marriott again.

We did stay a few nights last Fall at the local Hilton. $99 //per night....free complete breakfast....and several free bottles of water in our in room fridg !! (free in room internet in ALL rooms )
Marriott does not value its clients very much-----so sad !!!

Room Tip: choose another hotel !
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank krisszremski
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your response - my apologies for the hair clip in the room. This is definitely not our standard here. I have addressed it with our housekeeping department. As for the internet charges, currently at this time all full service Hiltons, Starwood, and Marriott's still charge for internet. You should find at these hotels that the internet is of much larger bandwidth and more reliable than at the complimentary hotels. This fall Marriott will be offering tiered service for internet and while still having a charge it will have several options for you to choose from.

J Pritts
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

What year is this? Cars come with wi-fi now but this "upscale" hotel continues to nickel and dime customers for a service as basic in 2013 as soap and shampoo. General Manager will reply with something along the lines of "Corporate decision" or "We'll change when the other two major competitors do" but that's hogwash. If they sucker 125 consumers into paying this fee each day, they pocket $600k extra a year. It is a sucker tax. Send them a message by staying somewhere else and preventing them from getting the hotel room money that drives their operation. Your iPhone has better, cheaper internet than this hotel...and it's an Apple product.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DavidMKnoxville
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
You are correct that you would think in this day and age that wifi would be free at a four diamond hotel. Currently Marriott, Starwood, and Hilton full service hotels all charge for wifi. Last year this hotel invested over $60,000 in upgrading our wifi to have the most bandwidth available to our guest of any hotel in central Illinois. Wifi is FREE for our Elite Marriott reward members and we have it complimentary in the public space of the hotel as well. By the end of the summer Marriott full service hotels will have a tiered pricing system in place that will allow you to pay for only the band width you need. I appreciate your feedback and I hope the rest of your stay was a good one.

Jeff Pritts
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was staying at the hotel with a friend for a wedding. The good: The hotel and rooms are very nice, new, and modern. It is very close to ISU and Amtrak and many of the downtown bars/restaurants. A CVS is just a block up. Hotel bar and restaurant were good with good prices. Great burger. A small cafe with Starbucks is in the lobby. Free parking in the garage across the street with a skybridge. Free boarding pass printing. Pool and hot tub, OK gym.

The bad: I was completely ignored at check-in. Standing literally a foot away from the clerk and she completely avoided eye-contact and didn't speak to me. I made it a game to see how long this would go on. Another clerk came out and immediately asked if she could help me, and looked at her co-worker like she was high. Turns out the woman ahead of me had to go to the car to get her bag, though why the first clerk couldn't just tell me this was curious. The worst-our room wasn't serviced during our 2-night stay. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal to me, but there was two of us there for a wedding, showering, etc., so used all the toiletries and towels. Returned to room at about 11pm on 2nd day, and realized the room wasn't serviced so asked for more towels-never came. I let the college kid know at check out and he said he was "really sorry." Well that's nice but for $125/night that doesn't cut it. I asked if they could comp us the internet fee, and he went to ask his supervisor (who never came out) and came back to offer us complimentary drinks at the bar. At 10:30 am when we are checking out. Ask again please. He came back and said they would look into it and get back to me. They did so via email very promptly, but only took off one day's worth of internet. I hope they are very glad to hold on to that extra $12.95, because now they have a dissatisfied Marriott customer with a poor review on TA. As you can tell from the rest of my review, I actually liked the rest of the stay and likely would have been raving about how nice they were in rectifying their poor service. But good on them for keeping that extra $12.95.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelGuy72
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am embarassed that we did not show better empathy and respond better than we did at the desk. I have already sent this review to our new Front Office Manager as a perfect example of a great opportunity that was missed. I will research the housekeeping failure as well to find out how we missed your room.
Thank you for the nice compliments on the hotel and the food. I will dig into where our processes went wrong and get them fixed at the desk and in housekeeping.

Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel is easily the nicest in the Bloomington-Normal area. It doesn't take much to achieve this feat in Central Illinois, however the B-N Marriott does it with class. We stayed here with friends on New Years Eve so we could stay in Uptown Normal and have a nice dinner and drinks and the hotel did not disappoint.

The only customer service "fail" during the trip was that we were initially placed in a room on the second floor that no paying guest should ever be forced to occupy. Our room had a quarter window and a lovely view of exhaust vents from the hotel's restaurants. The hotel was nowhere near full and I was disappointed that the front desk clerk thought this was an acceptable room. After being upset for a while, we went to the front desk and told them we were not happy with the room, at which point we were moved to a great room with a view of campus on the 9th floor. This was a good customer service recovery and the rest of our stay was great.

If you are coming to the BloNo area on business or pleasure and can afford the B-N Marriott this should be your only choice. There are only one or two other hotels that come close to this one in BloNo, but they're really no competition. My only recommendation to the hotel would be to not use the few rooms with horrible (and by horrible I mean absolutely non-existent) views unless the hotel is booked to capacity, and maybe not even then. I know the hotel needs to make a buck from all of their available space but I'm willing to bet 98% of guests would be unhappy with the few rooms that have this view.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the review from New Years eve. I'm not sure why they had you on the second floor on a night that was not sold out. Our second floor has the fewest rooms of any of our floors, and your right the view on the west side of the floor is not your typical hotel view. I am so pleased to see that they quickly made up for the mistake and moved you to our top floor.

Jeff P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Normal
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
Candlewood Suites Bloomington-Normal
Doubletree By Hilton Bloomington
The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!