“Bloomington-Normal Marriott Excellent Hotel!”

Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Normal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Normal, Illinois, United States
“Bloomington-Normal Marriott Excellent Hotel!”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Very nice hotel with a beautiful lobby. All areas kept clean and pretty. Rooms are spacious and very nice. I enjoyed the large pool and hot tub. Management and staff were all very friendly and responded quickly to all requests. Everyone seemed to know our names and made my wife and me feel right at home.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Love the note - thank you for sharing with our TA readers.

Jeff P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I have stayed at the Marriott Hotel in the Bloomington Normal area many times. Some trips have been short and some have been long. Each time, the entire staff has provided superior customer service. They were always accommodating and was always willing to go the extra mile to ensure that my stay was enjoyable. The restaurant provides great service and great food. The concierge lounge is great and the concierge staff is awesome!! They ensure that everyone gets that personal attention from them. Whenever colleagues travel to the area, I always recommend this hotel and after they have stayed, they also agree that it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank B M
Thank you for being such a great patron. I appreciate you returning to us regularly and for sharing your thoughts with our readers.

Holly Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I have stayed in 5 different hotels in Bloomington and this property is by far the best. Being a platinum member of Marriott, I do get access to the concierge lounge which is staffed by 2 of the friendliest members in Stephanie (Evenings) and Holly (Mornings). The staff goes out of their way to learn your name and to remember it the next time you arrive. Every time a colleague comes onto our project and asks where to stay, I highly recommend this property first if there is availability. Everybody I speak to says after staying at other hotels in the area, that they see why I stay at this property. The rooms are spacious and have a small sitting area so you don't need to feel like you need to go to bed when you get to your room. If you don't see something on the menu that peaks your interest, just ask the waitress/waiter for something special and they usually will accommodate you if it is in the kitchen.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back seem to block the noise of the trains that run by about 200 yards from the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank leefaus
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for your kind words - our concierge staff is currently rated #1 out of all Marriott's in the country for service and food quality by our guest. We take great pride in our service here and it is always reassuring to hear from road warriors like yourself that stay in hotels frequently. Your experiences in the other hotels here in town help to validate your comments. We will be sure to share your comments with the entire team.

Sincerely
Jeff Pritts
GM
Georgia
Reviewed April 30, 2012

It was clean. The strangest arrangement for a hotel room. No clock. Toilet in the same area as shower/sink. TV had unwatchable color. Light for joke coffee maker didn't work, so it was in the dark. They did have two reading lights for each bed, a big plus. Phone inconvenient to desk. Internet was annoying to connect, and if we hadn't been there for a conference, it would have cost $10.00 per night. Only one bank of elevators, and if you were at one particular end of the hallway, it was a long schlep. The conference rooms were good, and hotel meals for groups were marvelous. It is extremely convenient to ISU. Some train noise might be bothersome, although it did not bother us. If you are there for a long stay, housekeeping comes at strange times. In fairness I must say that we did not complain about anything while we were there, as we are not complainers. I did try to contact housekeeping at the one number you are to call about anything, and no one ever answered.

Room Tip: Rooms above the third floor would not pick up lobby noise so much.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the concerns with your stay. I have shared your concerns with the appropriate departments for their follow up. It is with comments like yours that we are able to continually get better. Thank you for the wonderful comments on the conference meals.
Jeff Pritts
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Good shower. Nice room. Clean. Completely met expectations. Did not eat here, so cannot comment on food. Free parking across street with bridge to hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for the nice note. We look forward to your next visit.

Buffalo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I just recently checked into the Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center (one person out of a group of three traveling for business). I am extremely disappointed with my experience at check-in. Originally I was suppose to check in around 4pm, however due to a flight delay, I did not reach the hotel until a little before 11pm. Prior to my flight, I call the hotel, informed them that I would be checking in at 11pm. Originally I reserved a King Bed, which was guaranteed in my reservation due to having elite status (Platinum). Upon check in, I get my keys, a fellow co-worker who is checking in as well, realizes that they did not have any King beds available with a normal shower (They only had one with a handicap shower). I inquired to the gentleman at the front desk if my room was King, he said that he gave me a double. (which irked me, as I feel that he is pulling a fast one on me...at least be honest to me. He could have atleast at check-in said "Sorry Sir, I know that You requested a King, however we currently have none available"). I asked if there were any Kings available, the front desk informed me that there was one on the fourth floor (however he fails to mentioned that the room had a handicap shower, which I am not a fan of). After listen in on my co-worker's check-in conversation, I asked if the new room had a handicap shower. The front desk said yes, it did and that was the only one available. Well I told him that I'd prefer to not have that then (assuming that the double room originally given to me had a normal bath). I told the front desk that I called earlier, informing the hotel that my flight was delayed and that I would be checking in at 11pm and questioned as to how I am not receiving the room that was guaranteed to me in my reservation, especially since I was a Platinum Elite Member through Marriott. His response was that they had alot of Platinum members checking in. Now i feel like I am being lied to again. I end up bring up the subject of guest compensation for Marriott being unable to fulfill this Room Type Guarantee. The gentleman at the front desk seemed oblivious to this Elite Benefit Guarantee (I'd figure this should be something that all front desk personnel would be aware of, apparently I was wrong). I inform him that it is on the Marriott on website (it is...he searched and found it after 5 minutes or so).For those who don't know, if Marriott is unable to fulfill the Room Type Guarantee (i.e. book a King bed and there are none available at check-in), Marriott will compensate the guest $100 for this. Anyways, I end going to my room, exhausted, up since 5am, currently midnight, and wanting to just shower and go to bed. I enter my room and realize that the room is a handicap accessible room with to double beds. This irks me. After my long trip filled with delays, all I was looking forward to was to shower in a shower that I was accustomed to and then sprawling out and going to sleep in a king bed that I am used to sleeping in when I am out of town. I ended up not bothering with the shower (i am turned-off be showering in it), won't be able to sleep comfortably like I am accustomed to and had the need to vent out over this.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
I am extremely surprised by this letter in several ways. Typically my platinum guest are my most vocal guest for all things good and bad and I hear about them in the lobby. I truly am sorry that you were not able to get the bed type you wanted and a non handicap room. Our front desk agent should have handled this better than he did. He was however not "lying" about having a lot of platinum guest. I average 120 platinum guest every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday due to the large consultant project going on at State Farm this year. In a hotel with only 228 rooms and only half designated to king beds it has put us in a tough predicament. Please feel free to contact me directly so that we may upgrade your reward information with additional notes on your preferences. The Normal Marriott greatly appreciates all of our guest and especially our platinum guest. We understand how rough it is to fly nowadays and how important a good night sleep is for our fellow road warriors. We will take this information and use it to retrain our team on its importance to our future guest.
I sincerely thank you for your concerns and in the future feel free to email me directly with any needs so that we may address them in quicker order. - Jeff Pritts GM
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Great place to come for a visiting alumi. You will be shocked how the town has changed. Clean hotel, great room service, and great cleaning service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
I remember this town from 1999 when I first came through here and you are right it has changed tremendously since then. Glad you enjoyed coming to visit again.

Jeff P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Normal
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal
Candlewood Suites Bloomington-Normal
The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Courtyard Bloomington Normal
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!