“How do you say "very good" in Greek?”

Mykonos Greek Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mykonos Greek Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 156 Restaurants in Niles
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Grill
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Established in 1981, Mykonos Greek Restaurant has grown to become a leader in traditional Greek Cuisine. Owner Dimitrios "Jimmy" Merageas was born in Sparta, Greece. Growing up and watching his grandmother and mother cook delicious authentic Greek food in their tiny little taverna, Jimmy was always eager to help. But, school was a priority and in 1972, Jimmy packed up his bags and moved to Chicago, Illinois, to get an American education. His first few years in the United States were rough. He went to school during the day and worked hard in various Greektown restaurants in the evenings to attain the American dream. At that point he realized that his passion was to explore, discover, and create the best Greek cuisine ever. He went back to Greece and with much perseverance he had the unique opportunity to assist and learn from some of the greatest chefs of Athens. He brought back all his newly acquired knowledge to the United States, and luckily a break came through. He stumbled upon a small, local ethnic restaurant in Niles, Illinois, and quickly became the head chef. After a short time later, the restaurant was up for sale. He jumped at the opportunity and bought the place. He immediately changed the name and tweaked the cuisine to make it more traditional. Mykonos Greek Restaurant first opened its doors in October 1981. Jimmy decided to call his restaurant Mykonos after the beautiful island of Mykonos in Greece, which was one of his favorite places to visit as a child. Through the years, the restaurant and the menu have expanded. In 1983, Jimmy had an ingenious idea of bringing the outdoor atmosphere of the Greek isles to the Chicagoland area. He designed and built one of the first outdoor eating areas in the state of Illinois. The concept stuck and people loved it! Jimmy worked harder and harder to make his restaurant gain a world-renowned status in Greek cuisine and in the Greek restaurant community. In 1987, Jimmy met the love of his life and decided to start a family. His wife, Athena, and all three of their children, Peter, Renee, and Madeline, are very enthusiastic about Mykonos. They have helped evolve recipes to include organic meats and vegetables and also to offer gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan foods without losing traditional flavors. After visiting Greece in 2010, Jimmy and his family brought yet another idea back to Niles, a retractable roof for the beautiful outdoor dining area. One of the first of its kind, the retractable roof is a huge success. Jimmy, his wife, and the rest of the Merageas family continue to work their hardest to maintain a cutting edge, yet, traditional atmosphere at Mykonos Greek Restaurant. Only time will tell what the Merageas family has in store next!
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've been to this Greek restaurant twice, and it's excellent! One of my coworkers was down here from our Canada office, and we had eaten at Mykonos together one other time the last time she was in town. It was so good last time that we decided to go there again. It did not disappoint, and we were very happy we did! We enjoy this place because the service is great - very refreshing when many places do not have good service these days. The food is also very good - I ate the Pastitio and it was fabulous! We had the Saganaki as an appetizer and it was great with the fresh bread they serve. They even threw in a free dessert! We will definitely return there again.

1  Thank Eriquita0115
There are newer reviews for Mykonos Greek Restaurant

Reviewed May 29, 2012

If you like Briami (pan roasted veggies in tomato sauce) go on Thursdays. Their skordalia (cold garlicky mashed potato dip) is the very best. I prefer carry out to dining in.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

This is a restaurant i've been dying to eat at for years---i drive by this place all the time and i love Greek food.... From Golf road, the place looks great.... So, for my wife's birthday, i took her there.... We were encouraged as we sat in the 'tent' area outside the main restaurant---great atmosphere complete with a flaming fountain waterfall feature thingy in the middle of the tent.... The bread basket was delicious.... We thought, this is gonna be great! Anyway, it wasn't very busy, yet it took what seemed like forever to get our food after we ordered..... My wife ordered the swordfish kebabs and i ordered a 5 cheese, filo-chicken wrap dish (i forgot the name).... Her dish was soaked in about 1/8th inch of melted butter which she promptly soaked up with a napkin... The fish was literally so salty, it was nearly inedible.... My dish was mediocre, at best... The wrap portions were not that great, but the rice was delicious, in fact, my rice was the best part of our entrees.... Plus, the portions were small for the price....

So, i gotta say, our food, except for the bread and my rice, were pretty much disappointing.... And, on top of it, the next day, my gut wasn't too happy i ate there (i need not go into detail, you get the picture).... The only reasons why i gave Mykonos a generous 3 dots is because the atmosphere in the tent was very pleasant and our breadbasket bread was delicious.... But IMO, it's not worth it for us to return.... Therefore, i can't recommend eating here....

I really wanted this restaurant to be great......but i guess it wasn't to be.............

PS-please, can someone convince me otherwise!

Reviewed March 26, 2012

My coworker and I had just returned from a business trip and I was taking him to his hotel. We were looking for a different restaurant, but the garmin led us astray. Mykonos was there, and open, and we were starving so we decided Greek food sounded great.

It was getting late when we arrived (nearly 9pm) so they seated us right away. The restaurant is beautiful - very light and airy, with plants hanging all over the place. Our server was fairly brusque but did his job well.

I had some lemon chicken dish with rice that was really good, and my coworker had some beef thing that he really enjoyed.

We had to flag someone down to get the bill, and then we had to ask for a receipt (even though it was a credit card transaction).

I don't think to get Greek food often, but I'll return when I'm in the neighborhood next.

Reviewed December 11, 2011

High Prices and low count on the food were our experience here. The maitre-de was rude. We asked for a booth and he took us right past an empty booth to a table in a long crowded hall-like area. We reminded himwe just past a empty booth and after he gave us a Look he took us back to the booth. The waiter was Excellent and jonny-on-the-spot. When our salad for Two came it was small and contained just tomato and onion,with a tiny amount of cucumber and cheese.Then my 30.00 2-Lamb Chops arrived which were like tooth-picks with a very small amount of meat. The Beans in tomato were Excellent and my wifes fish was good according to her. There are plenty of Greek Style resturants in the area, so WE WILL NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN.