“Travel to Korea without ever leaving the States”
Review of King Spa & Sauna

King Spa & Sauna
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Niles
Waukegan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Travel to Korea without ever leaving the States”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Its important to know the value of online reviews when scoping out a new adventure. This was essential especially when it came to King Spa & Sauna. The Spa and Sauna facility is expansive with so many different varieties to offer in Sauna and Spa experiences. As an esthetician for 10 years, its exactly the opposite of everything that I have ever known for services. You have your choice to begin your relaxation in a same sex "wet room" area. This area offers shower stalls, standing or sitting, to begin the "cleansing" process. Its essential for you to wash up before using any of the spas because swimwear is not allowed. (yes, you are totally neekid) The spa that's the hottest is where I spent most of my time and cooled off in-between in the cold plunge pool. The steam room is incredible with the aromatherapy. Once I was comfortable being in the nude I considered getting a massage from one of the see-thru lingerie gals, but they were "booked".
I then changed into my uniform and made my way to the common unisex area. Here you will find an array of sauna rooms. Most were very full and they do run on the smaller side. (I picked a particularly busy Saturday night at 9pm to visit) I spent 5 minutes or so in each room and cooled off in the ice room after each hot sauna. I enjoyed a dinner of Bulgogi and began to get sleepy, so I made my way upstairs to the lounge where you can rest in a leather recliner. I fell asleep and woke up at midnight. Overall it was truly a unique experience and I have suggested for others to go, but modesty in us Americans runs deep. Once you overcome that you will be able to enjoy your experience throughly.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank esty80

• Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Shed your winter skin at King Spa and Sauna”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I visited King Spa and Sauna right before the weather turned from winter to spring and it was truly auspicious timing.

When you arrive leave your shoes in their own miniature locker and change in the spotless locker room. Then soak in single sex the different temperature pools and steam sauna alternating between hot and cold. Be sure to sign up for a body scrub where all of your winter skin is thoroughly removed. Afterwards change into pink pajamas and enjoy the co-ed different saunas. If you're hungry snack on the juices and standard Korean dishes available.

If you're not sure about protocol just ask for a tour at the front desk, they'll be happy to accommodate you. You'll want to leave at least 6 hours to visit, after all the whole goal is to relax. I found the spa to be a great value for $25 for 24 hours.

The only reason I withhold the 5th star is because even though the interior of the spa is great, the location is nothing special. The spa could have been placed in a more natural setting and included an outside component, rather than in the middle of a strip mall.

Visited March 2012
3 Thank Imagine0307
Chicago, Illinois
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great Palace to relax”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Great Place to visit. Try to make it during the week days and avoid a weekends, because it gets a little bit busy and crowded. And defiantly get a body scrub and massage. If you do not feel comfortable to be naked in front of other people, that is not place for you. In the unisex area you would wear a uniform/pajamas. .

Visited December 2011
3 Thank Larisa2010
Muskegon, Michigan
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Know The Source of Princess Leia's Hair”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

If you can't afford the flight to Korea and are tired of grey winter weather, $25 will fix ya here. Walk in, take off shoes, get waylaid by the Korean den mother, and leave your dignity at the door. I had the salt scrub done to take off a few years. Added bonus: massages all your aches away too! If you ask nicely the ladies will show you how to make the cinnamon buns towel wrap that is traditional in Korean spas. (I swear Lucas referenced this look in hair firm, poor Leia!!) gummy had a chair massage for his shoulder by Wang. Found the depths of his soul with that massage. Food is amazing we had the spring rolls and Biem Bop Delish!! (watch the Kimche Chronicles on PBS all the food is here!!) The amethyst room was my favorite as well as the King Sauna that really makes you sweat. Cool down in between in the fridge room. Much nicer than a plunge pool. Heated floors make it that much more relaxing. We even watched Nacho Libre with all the kidz. Will be making an annual trek for sure!

1 Thank iwearblack
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Ultimate relaxation”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My mom and I tried King Spa and Sauna for mothers day this year and it was a very different but great experience. It's not like your "normal spa". Other reviews have detailed what the process is upon your entry and exit so I wont get into that. However, I will say the food was great, staff was very helpful (especially for us modest folk) and just an overall great place to escape for some Rest & Relaxation. They also show great movies throughout the day like rush hour and oceans 11! I will be back very soon to use my Groupons there and I'm looking forward to another great experience!

Visited May 2011
1 Thank AshleyT0423

Been to King Spa & Sauna? Share your experiences!